Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:20 pm

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 am

Endangered Missing

NEVAEH BUCHANAN
DOB: Feb 3, 2004
Missing: May 24, 2009
Age Now: 5
Sex: Female
Race: White
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Height: 3'8" (112 cm)
Weight: 45 lbs (20 kg)
Missing From:
MONROE
MI
United States

Both photos shown are of Nevaeh. She was last seen riding her bicycle on the evening of May 24, 2009,
in the parking lot of her apartment complex. She was last seen wearing a red, white, and blue striped
shirt and knee length blue jeans. When Nevaeh was last seen, she was not wearing shoes.
ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monroe County Sheriff's Office (Michigan) 1-734-243-7070

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."

Last edited by Melinda on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 am

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:30 am

AMBER ALERT: NEVAEH BUCHANAN, JAMES P EASTER NEW POI
BURNED EVIDENCE FOUND

Posted by Blink | Amber Alert, George Kennedy, James Easter, Jennifer Buchanan, Kidnapping, Missing Child, Nevaeh Buchanan | Sunday 31 May 2009 9:55 am
Breaking News

http://blinkoncrime.com/

Monroe, MI- Last evening a 3rd individual was taken into custody by the MPD after an
extensive search at the 1520 Oak St. home of James P Easter.

Easter, 64, is said to frequent the Charlotte Arms Apartments; the last place 5 year old Nevaeh
Buchanan was seen, where she resided with her mother Jennifer and her Grandmother.

Police removed numerous bags of evidence from the scene, which included remnants from a
burn pit. Neighbors have desribed him as “very odd” , and some have stated they have seen
him sit in the “kiddie pool” section at the neighborhood pool, and therefore would not let their
children near him.

Sheriff Crutchfield, Chief of Monroe PD, indicated in a very brief press conference this
morning that Easter began burning things in his backyard within 5 minutes after returning
from their interview with him. He is being held for undisclosed reasons.

Monroe Police are asking for the publics help in locating two youg boys, named Dillon
and Ryan, approximate ages 7 and 10, who were playing at the playground they
day Nevaeh went missing. They would like to speak to them regarding anything
they may have seen.

There are 6 registered sex offenders with the last name Easter on the Michigan
Sex Offender Registry, James P is not one of them.

Check back to blinkoncrime.com for updates.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:30 am

New Developments in Search for Nevaeh
Last Update: 9:10 pm
May, 29 2009

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/New-Developments-in-Search-for-Nevaeh/T-Nl3_Fzuk6vxLWpk26NOQ.cspx

MONROE, Mich. (WXYZ) - Investigators spent the day searching the woods near Nevaeh Buchanan's home, trying to gather any clues that might help find the missing 5-year-old girl. Action News has also learned that the focus of the investigation may be shifting away from two "persons of interest" in the case.

WATCH LATEST COVERAGE IN THE VIDEO PLAYER TO THE RIGHT

Sources say evidence that was sent to the lab for testing is not linked to the missing girl.

Blood found on a silver-multi tool knife is also not that of Nevaeh Buchanan's.

George Kennedy and Roy Smith, both convicted sex offenders and friends of the child's mother, are considered "persons of interest" in the case.

Action News spoke with Nevaeh's mother, Jennifer Buchanan, who says she's not pointing the fingers at anyone but says Kenndey was like a father to Nevaeh.

She says Nevaeh did not really know 48-year-old Roy Smith, the other person of interest.

When asked if she thought that Kennedy or Smith would be capable of doing anything against Nevaeh she said, "Anyone is capable of doing anything."

Roy Smith is listed on the National Sex Offender Registry. His record from the Michigan Department of Corrections dates back almost three decades with convictions for criminal sexual conduct, larceny and breaking and entering.

In the search warrant and affidavit connected to Nevaeh's disappearance, investigators call Smith an associate of the child's mother. He is behind bars on a parole violation.

He also owned the van in which investigators found the bloody multi-tool after Nevaeh disappeared.

39-year-old George Kennedy is also a registered sex offender and is currently behind bars on an unrelated parole violation.

Investigators say Kennedy is a friend of Nevaeh's mother.

After the child disappeared on Sunday, police searched a room at the Motel 7 in Monroe where Kennedy had been staying.

Investigators seized shorts, a towel with blood stains, samples of blood from the wall above the bathroom sink, photos of a white female similar to Nevaeh and hairs from the toilet and bathroom floor.

So far, no arrests have been made and no charges are pending.

Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield told reporters that they are still following up on tips in the search for Nevaeh Buchanan. Crutchfield also told reporters that they there is no indication that Nevaeh is not alive.

Investigators have combed through the Charlotte Arms Apartment Complex, the home of 5-year-old Nevaeh. They continue to go door to door re-interviewing residents at the complex.

The Monroe County Sheriff and the FBI urged the public to keep coming forward with tips and information.

Candles burned Wednesday night at a community vigil for the missing girl.

Meantime, Nevaeh's family is pleading for her safe return. On Wednesday, investigators searched two quarries near the little girl's home.

Several law enforcement agencies including the FBI, Michigan State Police and Monroe City Police Department have joined forces to help support the Monroe County Sheriff's Department. A task force has been created and is working the case around the clock. More than 100 investigators are involved in the task force.

At this point, investigators have looked into hundreds of tips.

If you have any information or tips related to the disappearance of Nevaeh Buchanan, call the Task Force Hotline at 734-243-7070.

Nevaeh was last seen Sunday in the parking lot of the Charlotte Arms Apartment Complex on Macomb.

Loved ones say Nevaeh was playing on a scooter with a friend when she went missing. The little girl's friend says she went to tell Nevaeh's mom, and when they went out to check on her she was gone.

Nevaeh has brown hair and eyes and was last seen wearing a light blue sleeveless shirt with red and white stripes and blue jean shorts.

Her scooter was also found laying in the parking lot of the complex.

If you have any information regarding Nevaeh's disappearance please call 911 immediately.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 am

Did One of Mother's Sex Offender Friends Take Neveah?
Mother of New 'Person of Interest' Says Her Son Is Not a Child Molester
By SARAH NETTER and LEE FERRAN
May 29, 2009

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7708901&page=1

Michigan police have named a second person of interest in the disappearance of 5-year-old Neveah Buchanan, and both men are registered sex offenders who are pals with the missing girl's mother.

A sex offender and friend of Nevaeh Buchanan's mother has been questioned.Both men have also been arrested on parole violations, which forbid them from being around children.

The latest person of interest is Roy Lee Smith, 48, who was released from prison last year after serving 15 years for multiple criminal sexual misconduct convictions, according to the Michigan Department of Corrections Web site. Other convictions include mulitple counts of larceny.

Police earlier said George Kennedy, a 39-year-old registered sex offender, was a person of interest in the case.

Both men are friends of Jennifer Buchanan, mother of the missing girl.

When asked if Buchanan herself was a person of interest, Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield replied "no comment," according to ABC affiliate WXYZ:
http://www.wxyz.com/news/story/New-Developments-in-Search-for-Nevaeh/T-Nl3_Fzuk6vxLWpk26NOQ.cspx

Neveah disappeared Sunday night from a parking lot near the Monroe, Mich., apartment complex where she lived with her mother.

Smith's mother, Donna Smith, told ABCNews.com that her son is not involved in Neveah's disappearance.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 am

Monroe County officials appeal to public for leads in case of missing girl
By TOM TROY and MEGHAN GILBERT
BLADE STAFF WRITERS [/b]

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090526/NEWS02/905269997/-1/OPINION02

Law enforcement officials in Monroe County vowed Tuesday morning to work around the clock until a missing five-year-old girl is found.

That vow was made during a mid-morning press conference near where Nevaeh Buchanan disappeared Sunday evening while playing in the parking lot of her apartment complex.

Lt. Todd Opperman, of the Monroe County Sheriff’s department, said investigators are busy interviewing hundreds of people and they "need to speak with anyone with specific knowledge of what happened in the complex between 5 p.m. and 11 p.m."

Missing girl may have been in Columbus
Nevaeh Buchanan may have been seen about 5 p.m. Monday at Easton Town Center, a shopping center on the north side of Columbus, according to Harry Trombitas, a special agent and spokesman for the FBI office in Columbus.

According to both a customer who contacted authorities and a store clerk who works at the center, a heavy-set white woman who appeared to be in her 50s remarked how the young girl accompanying her has a name that spells "Heaven" when written backwards, Agent Trombitas said.

The girl who accompanied the woman appeared to fit Nevaeh's description. Neither the clerk nor the customer who supplied the tip knew Nevaeh was a missing child at that time, Agent Trombitas said.

The store clerk corroborated the tipster's story Tuesday morning, he said.

Authorities have no video footage of the conversation, nor any credit card receipts. The woman who was traveling with the child made her purchase in cash, he said.

He added, "We are looking for anything that seemed out of the ordinary. This is an ongoing investigation and we will be working around the clock on this until it is complete."

After the press conference, both Nevaeh’s grandmother and mother made tearful appeals for the safe return of the young girl.

Sherry Buchanan, the girl’s grandmother, said she has raised Nevaeh since birth with Jennifer, the girl’s mother, living with them off and on and that the young girl never wanted to go with strangers.

"I just want her back and if anybody has her and she’s still alive, just bring her back to me. That’s all I ask of you."

Jenny Buchanan said she has taken a polygraph test and said she appreciates the good job that is being done searching the area.

She added, "I’m never going to lose hope."

The story as it appeared in earlier editions of The Blade and toledoblade.com:

Search continues for Monroe girl, 5; 50 gather to pray for safe return
By TOM TROY and
MEGHAN GILBERT
BLADE STAFF WRITERS

MONROE — As the hours crept by with no word on missing 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan, family and friends grew more worried last night about the little girl.

She disappeared Sunday evening from the parking lot of her apartment complex while playing outside.

“Every time I close my eyes, I see her face and I just want peace in my heart,” said the girl’s grandmother, Sherry Buchanan, who has custody of Nevaeh.

Overcome with emotion, she said she is praying someone will bring her back.

“She’s my world.”

More than 50 people gathered for a candlelight vigil last night to pray for the girl’s safe return and to support her family through this difficult time.

Earlier in the day, law enforcement officials, family members, and strangers searched the woods, backyards, creeks, and shopping centers of this community with no success.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office detained two people for questioning, one of them a registered sex offender who was a friend of the girl’s mother, and the other a transient seen in the area.

Maj. Dan Motylinski of the sheriff’s office said both men were being questioned, but neither was a suspect.

“We’re still searching, still looking,” Major Motylinski said last night.

Authorities said they would search as long as it takes to find her.

Nevaeh was last seen at 8 p.m. Sunday in the parking lot of the Charlotte Arms apartment complex, 1160 North Macomb St. in Monroe, where she lives with her mother, Jennifer Buchanan, and grandmother.

The sheriff’s office issued an Amber Alert Sunday night that described the girl as wearing a light blue sleeveless shirt with red and white horizontal stripes and a white v-neck collar and blue jean shorts with no shoes or socks.

Nevaeh (pronounced Nuh-VAY-uh) has long brown hair, brown eyes, is about 3 feet, 8 inches tall, and weighs 45 pounds. When the Amber Alert was issued, authorities said they believed she was abducted and in extreme danger.

Ms. Buchanan, 24, said her daughter has never wandered off before.

She said another little girl and her mother had stayed over in her apartment, and the two girls had been outside playing in the parking lot for 30-40 minutes when the other little girl came in to tell Ms. Buchanan that Nevaeh was “riding her scooter in the road,” which Ms. Buchanan said meant the parking lot.

She went out to tell Nevaeh not to do that, and was unable to find her.

She became scared when she found the scooter after more than a half hour of searching and called police to report the child missing.

Lt. Todd Opperman of the sheriff’s office said the search effort also involves the FBI, Michigan State Police, and Monroe city police.

He said the apartment complex was searched room-by-room several times and last night authorities closed the road to re-interview everybody.

“We’re checking everything that we can check,” he said.

Lieutenant Opperman said George Kennedy, 39, was taken into custody Sunday night on parole violations and was questioned.

Kennedy, of 15390 Dixie Hwy., which is a motel, has been registered as a sex offender in Michigan since 2002.

He was convicted on one count each of attempted criminal sexual conduct and attempted children-accosting for immoral purposes, according to the Michigan State Police.

Criminal sexual conduct in the third degree involves forced sexual penetration with a person between the ages of 13 and 16. Child-accosting can involve any child younger than 16.

Ms. Buchanan said she was good friends with Kennedy for about two years and denied they were dating.

He called her regularly in the mornings, she said, but the last time she had seen him was four days ago. Ms. Buchanan said she knew he was a registered sex offender.

She said her daughter knew him well enough that she would have gotten into a car with him.

“She is that comfortable with him. I don’t want to point any fingers, but I’m pretty sure that she would. We’ve known him for a quite awhile,” Ms. Buchanan said. She said she called Kennedy about 8 p.m. Sunday to tell him the police wanted to talk to him.

Strangers gave portions of their day yesterday to help in the search, and people came and went throughout the day from the apartment complex on the north side of the city.

At the candlelight vigil, friends and relatives shed tears and shared hugs as they prayed for Nevaeh.

Michael Buchanan, the older brother of Nevaeh’s mother, was overcome with emotion during the vigil.

“I never thought in a million years anything would happen to her,” he said of his niece.

“I don’t know who would do this. There’s a lot of stuff going through my mind right now.”

He said his family was thankful for everyone’s support and hopes that somebody will call the police with information to help find the girl.

Nevaeh’s father, Shane Hinojosa, 22, of Toledo, said he has not seen his daughter for three years “because me and her mom had issues going on.”

He said he was asked to be interviewed under a lie detector and he agreed, and that Ms. Buchanan was also cooperating with a request for a lie detector interview.

The mother was interviewed by authorities for several hours yesterday while Mr. Hinojosa waited at the apartment complex.

“I feel empty just standing here not able to do anything,” said Mr. Hinojosa, who has his daughter’s name tattooed on his arm.

He said he was “sick to my stomach” over what happened and vowed to walk miles to find her and make up for the time he’s missed with her.

He was searching yesterday with members of his family, including his sister, his mother, and his grandmother.

Jennifer Buchanan’s cousin, Shaun Lawson, 30, who lives in the same complex, said family members had warned Ms. Buchanan against the relationship with Kennedy.

Mr. Lawson said he was worried about the little girl.

“The scary thing about this is you see it on TV all the time. And a lot of the kids never come back. They’re gone forever,” Mr. Lawson said.

Anyone with information about the whereabouts of Nevaeh is asked to call the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office at 734-243-7070.

Contact Tom Troy at:tomtroy@theblade.comor 419-724-6058.

Nevaeh's mom says she has not given up hope
Posted: June 8, 2009 05:32 AM EDT
Updated: June 8, 2009 06:54 AM EDT

http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=10493350

Jennifer Buchanan is still waiting for confirmation

http://www.wtol.com/global/Category.asp?

MONROE (WTOL) - 5 year-old Nevaeh Buchanan disappeared from the Charlotte Arms apartments in Monroe two weeks ago.

Investigators say they are almost certain the body recovered Thursday is Nevaeh. Family members expect to find out for sure Monday or Tuesday.

An autopsy was done Friday but the results have not been released.

Nevaeh's mother Jennifer Buchanan, who no longer wants her face shown on TV, told a Detroit TV station she is still hoping its not her daughter. "I still have hope. There is no indefinite, like, confirmation, as to if it is her or not. Some one could have took her. Somebody... I'm completely clueless, I don't know as to who, I don't want to point fingers at anyone."

Two men identified as persons of interest in the case are behind bars on unrelated charges. No arrests have been made and police have not identified any suspects.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:32 am

Nevaeh's mother talks to CNN
She faces tough questions on the 'Nancy Grace' show
Tanveer Ali, Steve Pardo and Mark Hicks / The Detroit News
Monroe --In her first national, sometimes heated, interview, Nevaeh Buchanan's mother was grilled by CNN Headline News' Nancy Grace about her relationship with a convicted sex offender.

During the Monday night broadcast, Jennifer Buchanan, the mother of the 5-year-old, missing since May 24 and whose body is believed to have been found along the River Raisin in Monroe on Thursday, said: "... I have made a lot of bad choices. ... And who hasn't? And I know that somehow," she said of her relationship with George Kennedy, 39.

Grace interjected: "Whoa, you know what? You can stop right there. You can just stop right there, Miss Buchanan, because most mothers that I know have never knowingly exposed their little girl, a 5-year-old little girl, to a sex offender. So when you say who hasn't? I for one haven't. I haven't."

Advertisement

Buchanan then replied: "Well, I just believe that everyone deserves a second chance."

Earlier in the broadcast, Buchanan said she wonders if an acquaintance could have been involved. "All these scenarios are just running through my head constantly," she told Grace. "All these thoughts are just running through my head."

Buchanan described the last time she saw her daughter. But her responses sometimes did not fully address Grace's hard-charging queries.

Grace pointed out discrepancies in her recounting the exact time Nevaeh left, and what she was doing.

In the interview, according to transcripts, Grace asked... "So your child is out. It's been 30 minutes since you last saw her. Did you think maybe I should check on my preschooler? See if she's dead or alive? I mean did that cross your mind?"

Buchanan responded, "No, because I knew that she was upstairs at her friend's house until the little girl came up to me and said that Nevaeh was out riding her scooter in the road. That's the point I'm. .."

Grace interrupted: "How did you know she was upstairs? Did you check on her? Did you go up there ever?"

"No, she's -- I watched her walk in through the door," Buchanan said, to which Grace replied, "Really? Because earlier you said she went out the door..."

After several more exchanges and trying to defend herself, the show went to commercial break. During the break, Buchanan and a friend who had joined her both exited the interview.

Earlier, when Grace asked Buchanan about another interview in which Buchanan said Kennedy "may have owed somebody some money," Buchanan said: "I'm not too sure... I'm not too sure on anything."

Grace said, "How could that possibly be linked to your daughter's disappearance, the fact that this sex offender, friend of yours, owed somebody some money? How could that remotely be linked to your child's disappearance?"

Buchanan replied, "I honestly don't know..."

Meanwhile Monday, stuffed animals and artificial flowers, a Precious Moments princess and a fairy with butterfly wings share space on a guardrail on the remote, two-lane Dixon Road.

Fifteen feet from the guardrail, the ground drops a precarious 60 degrees, falling 30 feet to the River Raisin.

It's a muddy climb down to the water, but several made it. There are more artificial flowers. And someone planted a cross on or near the spot where a body was found, covered with quick-set concrete.

"It's a violation. A violation of humanity," said David Marietta, who lives off the river a few miles away. "People here, they're hugging their babies a little harder now."

But answers to the tragedy remain elusive.

Wayne County Medical Examiner Carl Schmidt said in a statement Monday that it could be weeks before test results come in. Tissue samples were sent for special testing.

Investigators have also been stymied by a lack of fingerprints or dental records for the girl, forcing them to rely on time-consuming DNA identification. Though authorities say the body appears to be Nevaeh's, the delay in testing puts off the closure that the family has sought since the girl went missing May 24.

"It's lonely now not hearing her voice in my back seat. I just hope nobody else has to go through this again," said Sherry Buchanan, Nevaeh's grandmother and legal guardian.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:33 am

AMYA BUCHANAN KENNEDY MOTEL SEARCHED BLOODY EVIDENCE FOUND
Posted by Blink | Missing Child, Neveah Buchanan, Sexual Predators | Wednesday 27 May 2009 5:43 pm
BREAKING NEWS[/b]

http://blinkoncrime.com/

UPDATE I– Nevaeh playmates say she was stabbed by “Daddy George” in the woods.

Reported live on HLN Jane Valez Mitchell show, a search warrant was executed today at the Motel 6,
where convicted sex offender George Kennedy, boyfriend of Nevaeh’s mom was living.

Among those items found were bloody shorts, a bloody towel, and a blood stain above the sink.
Previously found in Kennedy’s
fishing tackle box in his van, was a silver tool, found to contain human blood.

It is not known at this time if the blood matches the type of missing 5 year old Nevaeh Buchanan.

Check Back to blinkoncrime.com for this developing story.

Last edited by Melinda on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:34 am

Nevaeh update from Sheriff Crutchfield
Posted: May 30, 2009 12:02 PM EDT
Updated: May 30, 2009 12:46 PM EDT
Story by Tim Miller
Posted by Gordon Glauser

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=10449158

Investigators have finished the canvas of the Charlotte Arms apartment complex, but they will be in and out of it periodically as leads move them in certain directions.

The police have received 700 tips so far and are following up on them; they've processed 640 of those tips as of this morning.

The Sheriff reiterated that the DNA from the blood in the motel room did not match Nevaeh. When asked whose DNA it was, the sheriff mentioned that some it was George Kennedy's. He also stated that the blood on the multi-tool was in fact human blood.

Currently, there is a task force of 100 personnel working on the case, and the Sheriff's department, state police and FBI are involved. They will remain involved until leads stop coming in or are all processed.

The Sheriff mentioned that George Kennedy is still a person of interest but is "Not quite as high on the radar screen". The police have other persons of interest but are but will not give out names until further investigation.

When asked if he was frustrated, Sheriff Crutchfield said "I'm not getting discouraged at all, we are all very hopeful we will solve this and locate Nevaeh and the perpetrator".

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:34 am

Search continues for Nevaeh Buchanan
Posted: May 29, 2009 10:21 PM EDT
Updated: May 30, 2009 12:03 AM EDT
By Dick Berry - email
Posted by Dave Dykema

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=10448102

MONROE COUNTY, MI (WTOL) - The DNA doesn't match.

That's the preliminary finding of the Michigan State Police Crime Laboratory. The blood was collected as evidence from person of interest George Kennedy's motel room.

Monroe County Sheriff Tilman L. Crutchfield says the DNA recovered from the evidence failed to match that of Nevaeh Buchanan.

According to the search warrant, shorts and a towel were found in Kennedy's motel room with blood on them. In addition, there was blood staining on the wall above the bathroom sink in the hotel room at Motel 7 on South Dixie Highway, where 39-year-old Kennedy had been living for about a month.

That led to hundreds of people holding out hope that the little girl will somehow be found safe.

"It's a relief. She might still be alive," says Carla Elliotte, Nevaeh's paternal grandmother.

"We just need to bring it to an end," says Rev. Dale Hayfrd of Crosswalk Community Church. "Somehow we need to find her wherever she's at."

Hundreds of volunteers search down secluded paths surrounded by trees, long grass, shrubbery and more.

So far, they've found nothing.

"Just a lot of bugs. We ran into a skunk and I had a snake hiss at me," says searcher Darlene Richards.

"You don't know where to look. Everybody says they look everywhere, but you can never look too much," Gloria Sucharski recounts.

Fields are searched too. Volunteers don't want to overlook any evidence of Neveah.

"Until I hear otherwise," says Tiffany Sucharski, "I think she's still alive and I will keep searching for her."

"We are all here trying to relieve this family of pain and suffering. We want to find this little child," says Scott Demick.

After three hours searching, there's still no sign of Navieah.

But they will be back tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 am

Sunday, May 31, 2009
Authorities to question two boys in Nevaeh Buchanan case
Shawn D. Lewis / The Detroit News

Nevaeh-Buchanan-case

Monroe -- The investigative team of a joint task force in Monroe County has located two young boys wanted for questioning in the disappearance of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan.

The Nevaeh Buchanan Task Force, composed of the FBI, Michigan State Police, Monroe County Sheriff's Department and Monroe Police Department, identified the two boys, who were seen playing at the Hollywood School playground near the girl's apartment complex last Sunday. Authorities want to question the boys, believed to be 7-10 years old, to determine if they witnessed anything related to the girl's disappearance.

Two men, both sex offenders, already have been named as persons of interest: George Kennedy and Roy Lee Smith.

Police have identified a third man as a person of interest: James Easter, 64, of Monroe, who is being held on unrelated charges of unlawful open burning.

Easter was arraigned Sunday afternoon and was remanded to the Monroe County Jail after failing to post a $250 bond.

Police searched the Easter's home Sunday and dug up the back yard of his property after receiving a tip. Boxes of evidence were taken from Easter's home to the Michigan State Crime Lab.

Neighbors said Easter mows lawns and performs odd jobs throughout the area.

"I didn't know what to think when I heard he was in custody," said neighbor Donna Werner, 51. "He's always helped me out and was always kind to me."

Werner said Easter allowed her to use his stove to cook on, and his washing machine to do her laundry when her electricity was shut off. "I think they've got the wrong man," she said.

Meanwhile, blood on a knife confiscated from Kennedy, described as a boyfriend of Nevaeh's mother, was not a match for the girl. Nevaeh went missing about 6:30 p.m. last Sunday from the apartment complex where she lived. Hundreds of volunteers have searched the area, including quarries and woods, looking for clues in the case.

Her family remains vigilant..

"It's been one week today," said father, Shane Hinojosa, 22, of Toledo. "Sometimes I feel like throwing up, crying, screaming, punching a wall because it comes from not knowing.

slewis@detnews.com (248) 647-8825

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:35 am

Nevaeh Buchanan missing one week
Posted: June 1, 2009 05:54 AM EDT
Updated: June 1, 2009 07:10 AM EDT

http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=10453871&ClientType=Printable
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=10453871

As of Sunday, May31, 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan has been missing one week.

Investigators have named a third person of interest -- James Easter. He was arraigned Sunday, May 31 on arson charges unrelated to the disappearance.

It's been a rollercoaster week for family and friends of little Neveah Buchanan.

As of Sunday, May 31 the 5-year-old has been missing one week.

Here's what we know. Investigators have named a third person of interest -- James Easter. He was arraigned Sunday, May 31 on arson charges unrelated to the disappearance.

George Kennedy is still a person of interest, however he moved down on the list after blood found in his hotel room was ruled out as Nevaeh's.

Police say the 'persons of interest' list continues to change. The Monroe County Sheriff has located two possible witnesses.

Young boys named Ryan and Dillon were reportedly playing at a nearby park the night Nevaeh vanished. They are now being questioned by police.

So far detectives have received more than 750 tips.

They're asking anyone with information to call the Monroe County Sheriff's office at 734-243-7070

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 am

Latest in search for Navaeh: Green van search
Posted: June 1, 2009 11:36 AM EDT
Updated: June 1, 2009 11:45 AM EDT

http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s=10456200

MONROE (WTOL) - In a daily press conference by the Monroe County Sheriff's Department on Monday, June 1, Sheriff Crutchfield said they are following a tip about a box-style, green van.

The sheriff's department got a tip that the van may have been parked in the area. They are looking for the person or persons in the van for questioning purposes only, believing they may have witnessed something that may be helpful to the case.

The sheriff did not reveal any further details and stressed they are following up on every lead.

In all, Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield said Monday police are processing 800 tips in the case.

He also says authorities have spoken with two young boys who were believed to have been at the playground that day. The boys and the person with the minivan all were sought as potential witness.

Crutchfield says Nevaeh's disappearance has been "bothersome" to investigators, many of whom have or had children and grandchildren her age.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 am

Mom dated sex offender 4:08
The mother of missing Nevaeh Buchanan, 5, dated a sex offender and failed a polygraph test, claiming she was tired.
• Show Pages - Nancy Grace - CNN.com
Source: CNN
Added On June 2, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/06/02/ng.tot.missing.cnn

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:37 am

Investigators look for possible witnesses at school playground
Posted: June 2, 2009 11:24 AM EDT
Updated: June 2, 2009 11:30 AM EDT

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=10463582

MONROE (WTOL) - Sheriff Crutchfield held the daily 11 a.m. news conference on the search for missing 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan.

The latest details as of Tuesday morning June 2 are that the sheriff's department has received several tips about the green van they are looking for. They have not yet located the van or the person(s) driving it. They were looking for that minivan for questioning purposes only, believing the person(s) in the van may have witnessed something helpful to the case.

Sheriff Crutchfield is asking anyone who may have been at the Hollywood School Playground on Sunday, May 24 between 6 and 7 p.m. to please call investigators at (734) 243-7070.

On Tuesday June 1, the Sheriff's Department is following up on the 800 tips they have received. They have no searches planned, however they could change depending on where tips lead them.

The sheriff declined to name who is or is not still a person of interest. George Kennedy remains in jail on unrelated charges of violating parole. The sheriff also said they re still in contact with Jennifer Buchanan, Nevaeh's mother.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 am

Task Force offers $20,000 for recovery of Nevaeh Buchanan
Posted: June 3, 2009 11:50 AM EDT
Updated: June 3, 2009 12:12 PM EDT

http://www.wtol.com/Global/category.asp?C=168065

Search continues for missing Michigan girl
The Task Force charged with the search of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan is offering a $20,000 reward for her recovery.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:38 am

Thursday, June 4, 2009
Search for Nevaeh uncovers child's body near River Raisin
Tanveer Ali and Paul Egan / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090604/METRO/906040477/1409/METRO/Search-for-Nevaeh-uncovers-child-s-body-near-River-Raisin

Monroe -- Monroe County Sheriff's Department investigators on Thursday found a child's body west of Monroe that may be the body of the missing 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan.

Police cordoned off an area near the River Raisin around Dixon Road in the area of Ida-Maybee and Neiman roads.

Evidence experts were preparing late Thursday to examine a body that searchers discovered that had clothing similar to what Nevaeh was wearing when she disappeared from her Monroe home on May 24, a person familiar with the investigation said.

Sheriff's department and FBI officials would not confirm they had found the child's body. No positive identification of the body had been made by early Thursday evening.

Nevaeh's uncle, Michael Buchanan, told The Detroit News: "The police just informed us, 'If you hear something from us again, it'll be positive,' (meaning there's a body)."

If the body is the missing child, it will mark a tragic end to the search in an investigation that has focused, in part, on friends of the girl's mother who have criminal records for sexual offenses. Nobody has been charged in the case.

Earlier Thursday, a 64-year-old man, who a district judge said has been cleared as a person of interest in the girl's disappearance, said he was held by interrogators for 12 hours, answering questions such as "How do you think they did it?"

James Easter said he made a mistake by answering that question outright, claiming that if he was the one who had abducted Nevaeh on May 24, he would have "took my vehicle behind the nail salon nearby and called to her with a Kit Kat."

"When you're an innocent man, they keep telling you this and that," Easter said. "All I could keep telling them is, 'I didn't do it.' "

Easter was arrested over the weekend on unrelated arson charges, and he was released on $250 bail after his arraignment Monday.

District Court Judge Jack Vitale said the county prosecutor and county sheriff had cleared Easter from Nevaeh's case, but the Monroe County Sheriff's Office says they continue to look at every possible scenario and wouldn't comment on any potential people of interest. Monroe County Sheriff's Maj. Dan Motylinski said the department would not comment on any claims made by Easter.

Easter said he learned of Nevaeh's disappearance when he was called by a girlfriend who lives at the Charlotte Arms Apartments, where the girl had disappeared while playing alone in the parking lot. His girlfriend said she needed a ride to the store, saying the apartment complex was abuzz over the missing girl, he said.

"I had a hard time thinking in my head," Easter said of the questioning.

He told authorities he had been at Kmart that night. He said investigators tried to pin him down, acting like Nevaeh was at the store with her mother that day.

"They kept telling me, 'You followed her out of Kmart,' " Easter said.

Easter said investigators took DVDs, personal photos and other possessions, leaving his home a mess Friday. Authorities returned Sunday, digging up his backyard.

Easter is one of three people of interest made public in Nevaeh's case. George Kennedy and Roy Smith, both sex offenders who knew Nevaeh's mother, are being held on possible parole violations.

Investigators are offering a $20,000 reward for information that could lead to finding Nevaeh. Anyone with tips is asked to call (734) 243-7070.

In an interview with the Toledo Blade on Wednesday from the Monroe County Jail, Kennedy also said he didn't take Nevaeh and began searching for her after learning of her disappearance.

Kennedy told the Blade that blood police found in his motel room came from cutting himself shaving and from his girlfriend after she got a tattoo. Human blood found on a multitool, he said, came from a fishing accident. The sheriff's office has said none of the blood is Nevaeh's.

Meanwhile, the task force also is searching for two minivans, one green box-style and the other silver, that were parked at the Hollywood Elementary School when Nevaeh disappeared. The silver minivan was likely driven by a mother who was with her two small children.

Detroit News staff writers Mark Hicks and Mike Wilkinson contributed. tali@detnews.com (313) 222-2300

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:39 am

Nevaeh's Body May Have Been Found
Investigators Search Area After Tip In Missing Girl Case
POSTED: Thursday, June 4, 2009
UPDATED: 8:41 am EDT June 5, 2009

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19662141/detail.html#

DETROIT -- A body discovered in the River Raisin Thursday is believed to be that of a missing 5-year-old Monroe girl.

Nevaeh Buchanan was last seen May 24 in the parking lot of an apartment complex about 35 miles south-southwest of Detroit.

Body Found In River Raison:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/19663819/index.html

Her mother, Jennifer Buchanan, told Local 4 that the Monroe County Sheriff's Department informed her late Thursday evening that they believe the body is her daughter.

Ryan Bickley, 15, told Local 4 that his father, Guy Bickley, and grandfather, Lowell Kirk, were fishing on the river near Ida Maybee Road and spotted a block of poured cement and noticed a bad smell.

At first they said they didn't think much about it. After about 2 hours, Bickley said he kicked the concrete and noticed something.

Bickley said he chipped away a piece of the cement, revealing what appeared to be human skin.

"He called me, and he was hysterical," Ryan Bickley said. "He saw flies around it and that it was starting to crack, and when he bent down the smell got really bad."

Bickley said his father quickly backed away and called police.

The discovery site is about 12 miles from the Charlotte Arms Apartment, where her mother said she was outside playing with a friend when she disappeared.

The sheriff's office will hold a 10:30 a.m. press conference Friday to reveal more details.

ClickOnDetroit.com will be live streaming the conference.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/index.html

The community held a vigil on Thursday.

"I'm not giving up yet. I'm not giving up unless I see the body myself. I am not giving up hope yet because I still feel that she is near me," said Nevaeh's grandmother, Sherry Buchanan.

A local pastor held a small memorial service for Nevaeh bringing the crowd to prayers.

"We know Nevaeh is in heaven now. Nevaeh is in heaven with Jesus right now. Beyond a shadow of a doubt. We know there is no pain right now, no sorrow, only joy."

Friends of Nevaeh also spoke tearfully.

"My son is a total tragic mess because of this. He has missed her every single day she has been gone and now he is going to miss her for the rest of his life."

"It could happen to anybody and we hope it don't happen to anybody else," said Nevaeh's cousin, Shawn Lawson.

There have been no arrests in the case.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:39 am

BODY OF 5 YEAR OLD NEVAEH BUCHANAN FOUND IN RAISIN RIVER
Posted by Blink | Amber Alert, George Kennedy, James Easter, Jennifer Buchanan, Missing Child, Murdered, Nevaeh Buchanan, Sexual Predators | Thursday 4 June 2009 5:57 pm
BREAKING NEWS

http://blinkoncrime.com/2009/06/04/body-of-5-year-old-nevaeh-buchanan-found-in-raisin-river/

Monroe, MI– Sources inside the investigation into the disappearance of missing Monroe child, Nevaeh Buchanan, have confirmed to blinkoncrime.com that she has been found.

In an area along the Raisin River, the FBI Forensic Evidence Recovery Team has removed the remains of 5 year old Nevaeh and transported her to the Medical Examiner with the asisstance of the FBI.

The Monroe Police Department will not publicly confirm the identity of the child, but has confirmed they recovered the remains of a female child matching Nevaeh’s description.

The staff and readers of blinkoncrime.com wishes to extend our prayers and condolences to the friends and family of Nevaeh Buchanan.

Check back to blinkoncrime.com for updates

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:40 am

Breaking News: Body Found Is Nevaeh Buchanan
June 4, 2009 by: Express

http://www.cayleedaily.com/2009/06/breaking-news-body-found-is-nevaeh-buchanan/

A body found near the River Raisin is that of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan, who disappeared from her Monroe home May 24, the Monroe Evening News has reported.

The paper said police have spoken to the family.

Ryan Bickley, 15, said his father, Guy Bickley, found the body this morning when he was by the river fishing with his grandfather around 11 a.m.

The teenager said the body was encased in a cement block and they could smell it. His father, he said, chipped a piece of cement away and saw skin and when he saw skin, he stopped and called police. The block was near the water.

Nevaeh’s mother was huddled with friends at her apartment in Monroe.

A mobile command unit, which signifies intense police activity, arrived earlier this evening at the area of Dixon Road and Sullivan in Raisinville Township. Police were acting on a tip that the body of Nevaeh could be buried there.

A medical examiner truck also arrived at the scene.

Volunteers claimed to have found a clump of long brown hair, said the Rev. Dale Hayford, senior pastor of Crosswalk Community Church in Monroe.

Barricades kept traffic away from North Custer Road, west of Ida Maybee Road.

Since Nevaeh’s disappearance, police have zeroed in on a few men with histories of sex assault convictions, but no one has been charged in the case and leads are dwindling.

One man, George Kennedy, 39, told a Ohio newspaper this week he had nothing to do with the girl’s disappearance. In fact, he told the Toledo Blade, he helped the girl’s mother search for Nevaeh.

Earlier in the day, firefighters from area departments sent over not only volunteers, but also equipment, to breathe new life into the nearly two-week search.

“I hope this is what we needed,” said Elisa Boyer, 31, of Monroe.

Firefighters from agencies such as Monroe, Monroe Township, Ida Township and Dundee are being tracked electronically into a system usually reserved for battling blazes.

The fireTRAX program logs who searches where, then allows that volunteer to move onto another unsearched area when finished, said Monroe Township Firefighter Joe Hernandez.

“We want to help any way we can,” said Ida Township firefighter Mark Andrews, 19. “We hope to find her alive, but finding her in any way will help the family.”

SOURCE: June 4 at 9:00 pm Freep.com news site here:
http://www.freep.com/article/20090604/NEWS06/90604076/Nevaeh+s+body+found+by+river

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:40 am

Body near river said to be Nevaeh
BY AMBER HUNT, ZLATI MEYER AND JEFF SEIDEL • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS
• June 4, 2009

http://www.freep.com/article/20090604/NEWS06/90604076/Nevaeh+s+body+found+by+river

Updated at 10:15 p.m.

Two men bass fishing on a bend of the River Raisin in Raisinville Township found the body of missing 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan about noon today, a family friend said late today he learned from police.
The pair – a man and his father -- noticed a disruption in the soil along the edge of the river and saw a large cement block and a chip in it, from which a terrible smell emanated.

The younger man apparently poked at the soil and saw skin. They immediately contacted police.

Investigators in white crime scene fatigues arrived at the scene this evening and remained some nine hours later, reportedly recovering evidence from what was a shallow grave along the water’s edge that had been covered with some kind of fast drying cement powder.

The Rev. Dale Hayford, senior pastor of Monroe Crosswalk Community Church and a friend of the family, said police told the family they are 99 percent sure the body is that of Nevaeh. Some additional testing will have to be done to confirm her identity beyond doubt, he said.
Ryan Bickley, 15, said his father, Guy Bickley, found the body this morning when he was by the river fishing with his grandfather around 11 a.m.

The teenager said the body was encased in a cement block and they could smell it. His father, he said, chipped a piece of cement away and saw skin and when he saw skin, he stopped and called police. The block was near the water.

Nevaeh's mother was huddled with friends at her apartment in Monroe.
A mobile command unit, which signifies intense police activity, arrived earlier this evening at the area of Dixon Road and Sullivan in Raisinville Township. Police were acting on a tip that the body of Nevaeh could be buried there.

A medical examiner truck also arrived at the scene.

Volunteers claimed to have found a clump of long brown hair, said the Rev. Dale Hayford, senior pastor of Crosswalk Community Church in Monroe.

Barricades kept traffic away from North Custer Road, west of Ida Maybee Road.

(2 of 2)
Since Nevaeh's May 24 disappearance, police have zeroed in on a few men with histories of sex assault convictions, but no one has been charged in the case and leads are dwindling.

One man, George Kennedy, 39, told a Ohio newspaper this week he had nothing to do with the girl’s disappearance. In fact, he told the Toledo Blade, he helped the girl’s mother search for Nevaeh.

Earlier in the day, firefighters from area departments sent over not only volunteers, but also equipment, to breathe new life into the nearly two-week search.

“I hope this is what we needed," said Elisa Boyer, 31, of Monroe.

Firefighters from agencies such as Monroe, Monroe Township, Ida Township and Dundee are being tracked electronically into a system usually reserved for battling blazes.

The fireTRAX program logs who searches where, then allows that volunteer to move onto another unsearched area when finished, said Monroe Township Firefighter Joe Hernandez.

“We want to help any way we can,” said Ida Township firefighter Mark Andrews, 19. “We hope to find her alive, but finding her in any way will help the family.”

Contact Amber Hunt at alhunt@freepress.com.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:41 am

PERSONS’ OF INTEREST REPORT

Monroe — Monroe County Sheriff’s Department investigators on Thursday found a child’s body west of Monroe that may be the body of the missing 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan.

Police cordoned off an area near the River Raisin around Dixon Road in the area of Ida-Maybee and Neiman roads.

Evidence experts were preparing late Thursday to examine a body that searchers discovered that had clothing similar to what Nevaeh was wearing when she disappeared from her Monroe home on May 24, a person familiar with the investigation said.

Sheriff’s department and FBI officials would not confirm they had found the child’s body. No positive identification of the body had been made by early Thursday evening.

Nevaeh’s uncle, Michael Buchanan, told The Detroit News: “The police just informed us, ‘If you hear something from us again, it’ll be positive,’ (meaning there’s a body).”

If the body is the missing child, it will mark a tragic end to the search in an investigation that has focused, in part, on friends of the girl’s mother who have criminal records for sexual offenses. Nobody has been charged in the case.

Earlier Thursday, a 64-year-old man, who a district judge said has been cleared as a person of interest in the girl’s disappearance, said he was held by interrogators for 12 hours, answering questions such as “How do you think they did it?”

James Easter said he made a mistake by answering that question outright, claiming that if he was the one who had abducted Nevaeh on May 24, he would have “took my vehicle behind the nail salon nearby and called to her with a Kit Kat.”

“When you’re an innocent man, they keep telling you this and that,” Easter said. “All I could keep telling them is, ‘I didn’t do it.’ ”

Easter was arrested over the weekend on unrelated arson charges, and he was released on $250 bail after his arraignment Monday.

District Court Judge Jack Vitale said the county prosecutor and county sheriff had cleared Easter from Nevaeh’s case, but the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office says they continue to look at every possible scenario and wouldn’t comment on any potential people of interest. Monroe County Sheriff’s Maj. Dan Motylinski said the department would not comment on any claims made by Easter.

Easter said he learned of Nevaeh’s disappearance when he was called by a girlfriend who lives at the Charlotte Arms Apartments, where the girl had disappeared while playing alone in the parking lot. His girlfriend said she needed a ride to the store, saying the apartment complex was abuzz over the missing girl, he said.

“I had a hard time thinking in my head,” Easter said of the questioning.

He told authorities he had been at Kmart that night. He said investigators tried to pin him down, acting like Nevaeh was at the store with her mother that day.

“They kept telling me, ‘You followed her out of Kmart,’ ” Easter said.

Easter said investigators took DVDs, personal photos and other possessions, leaving his home a mess Friday. Authorities returned Sunday, digging up his backyard.

Easter is one of three people of interest made public in Nevaeh’s case. George Kennedy and Roy Smith, both sex offenders who knew Nevaeh’s mother, are being held on possible parole violations.

Investigators are offering a $20,000 reward for information that could lead to finding Nevaeh. Anyone with tips is asked to call (734) 243-7070.

In an interview with the Toledo Blade on Wednesday from the Monroe County Jail, Kennedy also said he didn’t take Nevaeh and began searching for her after learning of her disappearance.

Kennedy told the Blade that blood police found in his motel room came from cutting himself shaving and from his girlfriend after she got a tattoo. Human blood found on a multitool, he said, came from a fishing accident. The sheriff’s office has said none of the blood is Nevaeh’s.

Meanwhile, the task force also is searching for two minivans, one green box-style and the other silver, that were parked at the Hollywood Elementary School when Nevaeh disappeared. The silver minivan was likely driven by a mother who was with her two small children.

SOURCE: Detroit News staff writers Mark Hicks and Mike Wilkinson contributed from Detnews.com June 4 Source
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090604/METRO/906040477/Search-for-Nevaeh-uncovers-child-s-body-near-River-Raisin

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:42 am

Monday, June 8, 2009
Nevaeh's relatives face wait for autopsy results
Tanveer Ali / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090608/METRO/906080389/1361/update/Nevaeh+s+relatives+face+wait+for+autopsy+results

Monroe -- With no fingerprints or dental x-rays available, the family of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan may have to wait until the end of the week before a girl's body found near the River Raisin is positively identified.
The delay is difficult, to say the least, family members said today.
"I just hope nobody else has to go through this again," said Nevaeh's grandmother and legal guardian, Sherry Buchanan.

The Monroe County Sheriff's Office said in a statement it is awaiting results from medical examiners in Detroit after initial tests finding a cause of death were inconclusive. Other evidence from the gravesite has yet to be processed at state police crime labs in Northville, and positive identification won't be made until DNA from the autopsy is matched up against Nevaeh's samples.
Buchanan said identification has been delayed because the family doesn't have Nevaeh's fingerprints on file. There are also no dental records for Nevaeh, who has only visited the dentist once.
Shaun Lawson, Nevaeh's uncle, said authorities would not release information on the cause of death to the family unless the girl is confirmed to be Nevaeh. "It is best if they take their time. Our family needs to know for sure," Lawson said.
Nevaeh went missing May 24 when her mother told police she was playing in her apartment complex parking lot alone. A body matching Nevaeh's description was found Thursday in a shallow grave covered by concrete or cement.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:43 am

Nevaeh Buchanan: Her family waits for ID

Analysis of body's DNA in Nevaeh case still unfinished
Finding girl's cause of death could take time
BY AMBER HUNT • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • June 9, 2009

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009906090348

Positive identification that a body recovered Thursday along the River Raisin is that of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan of Monroe will have to wait until the state police crime lab in Northville analyzes DNA results from an autopsy by the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office.

And it could be weeks longer before a cause of death is determined, authorities said Monday.
Because the body -- which authorities say they believe is that of Nevaeh, who went missing May 24 from her apartment complex -- showed no outward signs of trauma, pathologists are waiting for results from tests of tissue samples to see if they can shed light on the cause of death.
"The results may remain pending as the investigation continues," Wayne County Medical Examiner Carl Schmidt said.
The waiting is no surprise, said renowned pathologist Werner Spitz, who retired as Macomb County's medical examiner in 2004 and has conducted about 60,000 autopsies.
Spitz said authorities likely will have to rely on circumstantial evidence if reports are true that the girl found in a shallow, riverside grave suffered no broken bones, stab wounds or gunshots.
"You would not find evidence of drowning, you would not find bruising, you would not find strangulation," Spitz told the Free Press.
That's because the decomposition process would have been accelerated by the heat and the possibility that water from the river reached the grave.
"Most of what forensic pathologists base their opinions on is from the body's surface," he said.
Authorities often rely on dental records in such cases, but Nevaeh's father and grandmother told the Free Press that the girl never had dental X-rays taken. Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield said last week that there's "reasonable suspicion" the girl is Nevaeh, but family members said they're holding out hope until she's positively identified.
On Monday night, counseling was offered at a Monroe middle school to family, friends and volunteers who had scoured the Monroe area for the missing girl.
Contact AMBER HUNT: 313-223-4526 or alhunt@freepress.com.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   

Back to top Go down

Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next