Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:44 am

Nevaeh's cause of death to be elusive
Weeks may pass before cause of death details released
BY AMBER HUNT • FREE PRESS STAFF • JUNE 8, 2009
Updated at 7:50 p.m.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090608/NEWS05/90608021

It could be weeks before the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office releases details in the cause of death of a little girl believed to be Nevaeh Buchanan, Medical Examiner Carl Schmidt announced this afternoon.

The results are pending, Schmidt said in an afternoon news release, and "may remain pending as the investigation continues."

"Tissue samples were sent for special testing," the statement says.

Without outward signs of trauma, figuring out how 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan died will prove difficult if the girl indeed was buried for two weeks in hot weather along the River Raisin, a pathologist told the Free Press.

Werner Spitz — who retired in 2004 as Macomb County's medical examiner and has conducted some 60,000 autopsies — said authorities likely will have to rely on circumstantial evidence if reports are true that the girl found in a shallow, riverside grave suffered no broken bones, stab wounds or gunshots.

"You would have a lot of problems," Spitz said this morning. "You would not find evidence of drowning, you would not find bruising, you would not find strangulation."

That's because the decomposition process would have been speedy because of the heat and the possibility that water from the river could have reached the crude grave.

An employee with the National Weather Service in White Lake Township said the hottest day in metro Detroit between the time Nevaeh disappeared May 24 and the girl's body was discovered was May 29, when it reached a high of 79 degrees.

"In this weather, even if she was dry at this time of year, you would find a lot of difficulty in finding evidence of blue-and-black bruising marks, abrasions or skin injuries," Spitz said.

Also, the skeleton structure in a 5-year-old's neck is pliable, so if the neck had been compressed in strangulation, it would have straightened out. As for drowning, he said: "Drowning is a difficult diagnosis to make when the body is fresh, so you can imagine what it would be like now.
"Most of what forensic pathologists base their opinions on is from the body's surface," he added. "Without seeing the body, I can tell you that most of the opining on cause of death here is going to be circumstantial."

That state of decomposition is one reason authorities are waiting on DNA test results to officially verify that the girl discovered Thursday by fishermen is definitely Nevaeh. In cases involving less decomposition, family members typically are asked to identify the body. In this case, authorities are trying to spare the family the trauma of seeing the girl in such disturbing conditions.

Authorities often rely on dental records in these cases, but Nevaeh's father and grandmother told the Free Press that the girl had never had dental X-rays taken. A Monroe County Sheriff's deputy on Friday gathered items from Nevaeh's Monroe apartment in hopes of finding fingerprints, which might also have helped identify the girl.

But Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield said in a press release issued this morning that the identification hinges on the DNA results from the Michigan State Police crime lab in Northville.

Though Crutchfield said last week that there's "reasonable suspicion" the girl is Nevaeh — including clothing matching the description of what Nevaeh was last seen wearing — family members say they're holding out hope until she's positively identified.

Nevaeh disappeared from outside of her Monroe apartment complex, prompting hundreds of volunteers to scour the area in a search that garnered nationwide interest.

The girl discovered Thursday was buried beneath a layer of concrete just inches from the river.

Investigators told her family the clothes found on the body match what the missing 5-year-old was wearing when she disappeared two weeks ago. But investigators’ forensic tests are trying to match DNA evidence to Nevaeh, heaven spelled backward.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office had not yet released the cause of death, saying further testing is needed because there were no outward signs of trauma or other obvious indicators explaining how the girl died.
"It's like a nightmare," her mother, Jennifer Buchanan, told the Free Press. "I can't wait to wake up."

Tonight, Cantrick Learning Center offered free counseling on how to cope with death to family members, friends and volunteers who had scoured the Monroe area for the missing girl. The session at a Monroe middle school library on Riverview Avenue was closed to the media.

• MORE: Mother denies role in Nevaeh's disappearance

Nevaeh disappeared while riding her scooter outside her apartment. Investigators put two of her mother’s friends — convicted sex offenders — in jail during the investigation on unrelated parole violations. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office has vacillated on whether the department has persons of interest in the case, but there’s been no word on whether they’re close to making an arrest.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office tipline at 734-457-6713.

Contact AMBER HUNT: 313-223-4526 or alhunt@freepress.com

Free Press staff writers Tammy Stables Battaglia and Jeff Seidel contributed to this report.

Story Published: Jul 16, 2009
A month after she was found... Navaeh Buchanan's autopsy results are released... The details and reaction of the news are tonight's big story. The shock continues tonight for members of the Monroe County Family. They are still reeling from the latest news regarding the murder of their loved one. My TV 20's Dave Leval tells us how little Navaeh Buchanan died.

Multimedia Watch The Video "Our family is upset, we're hurting."

Things seem to be getting worse for Diana Lawson and her family. Her niece, Navaeh Buchanan vanished from her Monroe home May 24th. Authorities found the body of the five year old 11 days later. Navaeh was murdered.

Diana Lawson/Navaeh's Great Aunt
"They're traumatized, they're very upset."

Fishermen discovered Navaeh's body buried under concret along a rural section of the River Raisin. Preliminary autopsy results indicate Navaeh may have been buried alive.

Monroe Sheriff's invetigators tell us the killer pressed her face into the dirt. Navaeh died after she inhaled dirt.

Shaun Lawson/Navaeh's Cousin
"Makes it hard to sleep at night, when you get that image in your mind. Close your eyes, go to sleep, that's all you see."

Navaeh's killer remains on the loose. Meanwhile, more memorials are placed near the site where her body was found. They honor a child taken from her friends and loved ones far too soon. In Monroe, Dave Leval, My TV 20 News at 10.

Relatives tell us they don't know where Navaeh's mother is staying. But, they did talk to her yesterday. Investigators have followed up on more than 12 hundred tips since Navaeh's disappearance and murder. You're asked to call Monroe County Deputies with any information.

http://www.tv20detroit.com/news/50958562.html

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:46 am

Nevaeh Buchanan case: Sex offender Kennedy remained free despite warnings from parole officer
June 21, 3:09 AM

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2009m6d21-Nevaeh-Buchanan-case-Convicted-sex-offender-Kennedy-remained-free-despite-warning-of-parole-officer

George Kennedy, 39, a convicted sex offender, has been named a person of interest in the slaying of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan.
Kennedy’s parole officer had asked corrections officials three times in the past to send him back to prison for violating his parole, but each time was overruled by supervisors.
Kennedy was released from prison in July 2007, after serving five years in prison for having sex with a 15-year-old girl.
After only three months of freedom, Kennedy violated the terms of his parole by “consorting with other people who had felony records,” said John Cordell, a spokesperson for the Michigan Department of Corrections.
For this violation, Kennedy was not sent to prison, but sent to the county jail for 30 days. Upon release, he was required to wear a GPS locator.
Two months later, Kennedy again violated his parole by not being at home during the time ordered. He was sent to a technical re-entry program for 90 days, which “gives intense therapy to those who need a period of adjustment,” according to Cordell.
By Dec. 2008, Kennedy violated his parole for a third time, having a romantic relationship with a woman who had a minor child and a criminal record. He was sent back to the technical re-entry program.
Cordell said supervisors rejected the parole officer’s requests to send Kennedy back to prison because “the supervisor obviously thought it better to send [Kennedy] back for more intense therapy.”
Kennedy is currently in jail, arrested for having a relationship with Jennifer Buchanan because she was the mother of a minor child, Nevaeh.
Convicted rapist, Roy Lee Smith, has also been named a person of interest in Nevaeh’s murder and was also arrest for violating his parole by having a relationship with Buchanan.
Smith violated his parole in the past by failing a drug test that indicated he had been using narcotics, said Cordell
Although Buchanan was also an ex-offender, who served 13 months in prison for home invasion, she served her entire sentence and was not on parole, so she was free to consort with whomever she desired.
Another man being questioned in the case is Vernon Davis, 33, who was convicted in May 2007 of having sex with a minor under 16, but served no prison time for the offense.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Person of interest in Nevaeh case left free despite actions
George Hunter / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090616/METRO/906160371/1409/METRO/Person-of-interest-in-Nevaeh-case-left-free-despite-actions

Monroe -- George Kennedy's parole officer urged corrections officials three times to send the convicted sex offender back to prison for violating the terms of his parole, but each time the officer's supervisors overruled the recommendations.
Kennedy, 39, who has been named by police as a person of interest in the murder of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan, was released from prison in July 2007, after serving five years for having sex with a 15-year-old girl. Within three months of his release, he had violated the terms of his parole, said John Cordell, spokesman for the Michigan Department of Corrections.
"In September 2007, his (parole officer) violated him for consorting with other people who had felony records," Cordell said.
Advertisement

Instead of going back to prison, he was sent to the Ingham County Jail for 30 days, Cordell said. After his release, Kennedy was put on a GPS tether.
But within two months, Kennedy had violated the rules of his tether placement by not being at home during the time ordered. So he was sent to the Tuscola County "technical re-entry program" for 90 days, Cordell said. "That's a program that gives intense therapy to those who need a period of adjustment," Cordell said.
Kennedy's parole officer reported a third violation in December 2008, this time because he had a romantic relationship with a woman who had a criminal record and was the parent of a minor child -- both violations of his parole, Cordell said. Kennedy was again sent to the Tuscola program.
Cordell said proper action was taken by corrections officials.
"In two years, for a parole officer to ask that an offender be sent back to prison isn't out of the norm," he said. "It's the parole officer's job to report violations, and then it's the supervisor's job to determine if the violation was bad enough to warrant sending the offender back to prison.
"In this case, the supervisor obviously thought it better to send (Kennedy) back for more intense therapy."
Kennedy since has been arrested. He is incarcerated in the Charles Egeler Reception and Guidance Center in Jackson. Kennedy was returned to prison because of his friendship with Jennifer Buchanan, a convicted felon who had a minor child, Nevaeh, Cordell said.
Roy Lee Smith, a convicted rapist who also was arrested for a parole violation after being named a person of interest in the murder case, also was sent to the Egeler Center because he violated his parole by having a relationship with Jennifer Buchanan.
Prior to that, Smith's parole officer reported last year that he'd violated his parole when a drug test showed he'd been abusing narcotics, Cordell said.
"That's not a violation that would typically send you back to prison," he said.
Buchanan, who served 13 months in prison for a home invasion, also has consorted with convicted felons -- but she had served her entire sentence and thus was not on parole, Cordell said. He explained that offenders who have served their sentences do not have the restriction on contact with other felons.
Meanwhile, police continue to investigate convicted sex offenders in the area for possible clues.
According to neighbors, FBI agents have twice visited the Monroe home of Vernon Davis, a 33-year-old man who was convicted in May 2007 of having sex with a minor younger than 16. Davis served no prison time for the offense, records show.
The Michigan Sex Offender Registry reports that Davis' home address is an apartment complex on Bacon near downtown Monroe. But his neighbor, 24-year-old Katherine Taormina, said Davis is never there. She said FBI agents questioned her about Davis after Nevaeh was reported missing.
"They came by here twice," Taormina said. "They asked if I'd seen him. They told us they were trying to get information about where he was when the girl disappeared. I told them I know he's supposed to be living here, but he never comes here. He usually stays down in Toledo."
Also Monday, Wayne County Medical Examiner Carl Schmidt said he had not yet completed Nevaeh's autopsy. He added that any further information would have to come from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office. Sheriff's officials on Monday did not return telephone calls seeking comment.
ghunter@detnews.com (313) 222-2134

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."

Last edited by Melinda on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:46 am

Friday, June 19, 2009
Nevaeh's mom disputes rumors
She answers whispers about role in death: 'None of it's true'
George Hunter / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090619/METRO/906190371

Monroe -- Jennifer Buchanan has felt love and support from relatives and neighbors after her daughter's murder -- but she admitted Thursday she senses the suspicion and has heard whispers from those who speculate she knows more than she's telling. And, she said, it's starting to get to her.
"I realize some people think I had something to do with it," Buchanan said Thursday, referring to the slaying of her 5-year-old daughter, Nevaeh, who disappeared May 24 from her apartment complex. That set off a massive, weeks-long manhunt until the girl's body was discovered in early June by two fishermen in a shallow grave beneath a slab of concrete on the bank of the River Raisin.
"I hear the rumors," Buchanan said. "I hear what people are saying. But none of it's true."
Police on Thursday announced no new leads in the case. Buchanan said the lack of progress in the investigation is wearying.
"It's just very frustrating; I've got all these emotions running through me," she said. "They could still be out there, whoever did this. I could have shook their hand; they could have showed up at the vigil. That keeps me up at night, not knowing who did this.
"Plus, I feel like everyone is attacking me. There's been some crazy rumors out there. There's a rumor that I'm on house arrest; another rumor is that I've went to bars, and that I got jumped in a bar by some people who were mad about the case.
"None of it's true. I haven't been to a bar in ages, and I never got into any fight at a bar. I don't know where people keep coming up with this stuff."
Buchanan, 24, said she spent the day Thursday picking a headstone for her daughter, who was buried Saturday in St. Joseph Cemetery.
"I'm OK," she said. "I'm holding up, although sometimes it all gets to me."
Meanwhile, other family members are trying to get back to normal after weeks of suffering.
"My mom just went back to work (Wednesday)," said Michael Buchanan, Jennifer's brother. "It's tough to get back to work, but she said she wants to keep her mind occupied. This has been tough on all of us."
Jennifer Buchanan, who has been under fire for having a relationship with a convicted sex offender, said an appearance on CNN's "Nancy Grace" show on June 8 was traumatic.
"She was rude, inconsiderate, all of the above," Buchanan said of the scathing interview, which ended abruptly after she walked out during a commercial break.
"She made me confused and frustrated. I was getting to the point where I felt that she was accusing me of having something to do with (the murder)," Buchanan said.
"I only went on her show to clear up a few things that were false about me. I'm not pregnant by the sex offender, which was a rumor. And I had nothing to do with what happened to my daughter. As of right now, I'm not even a person of interest; the focus isn't even on me. That's what the police said."
She said investigators have not contacted her recently about the case.
"They don't talk to me about it," she said. "But at this point, they can't say anything to me. They did tell me there would be a time and place when they can sit down and explain everything, but that now they can't say anything."
Buchanan said she is getting support from relatives and some neighbors.
"I'm just trying to take it one day at a time," she said.
"I really don't know what to else to say. I try not to pay attention to the rumors, but they're all over the place. I know the truth: I had nothing to do with her disappearance. It happened all of a sudden and it shocked me. I still feel like I'm in shock."
ghunter@detnews.com (313) 222-2134

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am

Shaun Lawson kneels beside the memorial created for his 5-year-old cousin, Nevaeh Buchanan, whose body was positively identified Tuesday as having been buried near the River Raisin. Lawson's girlfriend, Brooke Ashworth, sits beside him. June 9, 2009.

Mourners call for justice

There's 'so much sorrow' in Nevaeh's disappearance
BY TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • JUNE 12, 2009

A small, white casket with a rainbow of flowers covering the closed lid awaits mourners today as they say their final good-byes to 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan.

Her favorite stuffed animal, a beagle named Harley, sits atop her casket. To the sides, sitting on pedestals, were her pink and yellow fleece blanket and a play firefighter's hat.

"Nevaeh touched a lot of lives -- probably a lot more after she passed," funeral director Brian Merkle said Thursday on the first day of visitation at Merkle Funeral home, just north of Monroe.

On Saturday, Nevaeh will be laid to rest, with golden-winged angels at each corner of her casket, meant to carry the little girl whose name is "heaven" spelled backward.

Sandra Bond, 40, of Monroe -- a friend of Nevaeh's grandmother, Sherry Buchanan -- could not hold back tears as she watched a video montage of Nevaeh set to music.

"It just ain't right," she said.

The memorial card handed out to mourners lists Nevaeh's date of death as June 4 -- the day two fishermen discovered her body covered with quick-dry cement mix in a hole on the bank of the River Raisin in Raisinville Township.

"So much sorrow," said Ron Vollmer, 55, of Monroe, who put more than 400 miles on his truck searching for Nevaeh, who disappeared May 24. "We need justice."

Tips sought

Monroe County sheriff's officials on Thursday asked for information from anyone who fishes in the area where Nevaeh's body was found along Dixon Road.

Lisa Tibai, 22, of Monroe -- who told investigators this week that she and her fiancé helped tow a car stuck in mud near the edge of the River Raisin -- was relieved Thursday to find out Nevaeh's body was found on the opposite side of the river.

"It has nothing to do with me helping weirdos -- just two kids needing help," she said.

People with information can call the task force tip line at 734-243-7070. Contact TAMMY STABLES BATTAGLIA: 586-313-223-4456 or tbattaglia@freepress.com. Staff writer Amber Hunt contributed to this report.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:58 am

Funeral Held For Nevaeh
Police Confirm Body Is Girl's
POSTED: Sunday, June 7, 2009
UPDATED: 7:15 am EDT June 14, 2009

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/19684641/detail.html

MONROE, Mich. -- The family of Nevaeh Buchanan said theirr final goodbyes Saturday to the 5-year-old girl whose body was found encased in cement by a fisherman in a southwestern Michigan river.
Nevaeh had been missing for more than two weeks.
Her kidnapping and killing riveted local communities and garnered national headlines.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office confirmed Tuesday that the body found along the River Raisin belonged to the girl, whose name is "heaven" spelled backward.
The sheriff's office said the Michigan State Police confirmed the identification through DNA results, but a cause of death is still pending.
The funeral was held at noon at Christian Ministry Center, located at 1199 Stewart Road in Monroe.

A Song To Remember Nevaeh:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/19746767/index.html

Ther procession drove by Nevaeh's favorite park where she liked to play. A group of people released balloons in her memory.
Hundreds of people mourning Nevaeh filed past her closed casket with her favorite stuffed animal, a beagle named Harley, set on top.
"People don't always know what to say to the family; they just want to show that they have support for them," said funeral director Brian Merkle.
All gifts for the Buchanan family may be sent to Merkle Funeral Service Inc.
The phone at the funeral home in Monroe was "ringing off the hook," said office manager Sirena Williams, with people seeking information about funeral services for Nevaeh and offering gifts ranging from food to discounted hotel rooms.
"Strangers off the street have been coming in and donating their time, trying to help the staff, seeing if the family needs anything," Williams said.
Other donations included the use of an $80,000 hearse drawn by a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and provided by another funeral home in nearby Flat Rock.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:58 am

Nevaeh Buchanan: Hundreds Paid Respects To This Precious 5-Yr Old
June 14, 2009 by: Express

http://www.cayleedaily.com/2009/06/nevaeh-buchanan-hundreds-paid-respects-to-this-precious-5-yr-old/

A portrait of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan sits near her closed casket at the Merkle Funeral Home in Monroe, Mich., June 11, 2009. (AP) WE PRAY JUSTICE FOR NEVAEH- THE CAYLEE DAILY
MONROE, Mich., June 11 (UPI) — Scores of mourners paid respects Thursday to a 5-year-old girl whose body was found 11 days after she disappeared from her apartment complex near Detroit.
“The whole community’s pulling together,” said Brian Merkle, manager of the Merkle Funeral Service in Monroe, Mich., which is donating its services.
Most expenses, including the small, white casket in which Nevaeh Buchanan’s body rested, were paid for by donations, Merkle told the Detroit Free Press.
“There’s been a lot of outpouring,” said Sherry Buchanan, Nevaeh’s grandmother.
Two fishermen found Nevaeh’s body along the banks of the River Raisin in Monroe last Thursday. The girl disappeared from the Monroe apartment complex where she lived with her mother and Buchanan May 24.
Merkle told The Detroit News he had heard from people from 30 states expressing condolences. A woman answering the funeral home’s telephone Thursday told United Press International she estimated hundreds of people would participate in the two-day visitation.
Several motorcycle clubs offered to participate in the funeral processional Saturday after learning Nevaeh enjoyed playing with toy motorcycles, the Free Press said.
Investigators said a Monroe couple told police they’d helped two men pull a car out of the mud along the River Raisin hours after Nevaeh disappeared.
Police were also scrutinizing a gas station surveillance tape where convicted sex offender George Kennedy, 39, was seen the night the girl disappeared, Detroit’s WWJ-TV reported. He and acquaintance Roy Smith, 48, were later jailed on parole violations. Both have been questioned by police about the death but neither has been charged.Source: UPI.com Here:
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/06/11/Hundreds-pay-respects-to-Navaeh-Buchanan/UPI-25081244754325/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:59 am

Dinner to honor memory of Monroe girl who was killed
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 03:36 PM EDT

The Veterans of Foreign Wars Annis Fint Post 1584 in Adrian will host a spaghetti dinner to honor the memory of Nevaeh Buchanan, the 5-year-old Monroe girl whose body was found along the banks of the River Raisin after she had been missing almost two weeks.

The event is scheduled for 3 to 10 p.m. Saturday. People can get a plate of home-cooked spaghetti, bread, a salad and dessert for $6.

Kelly LaFlash, bar manager at the post, said she came up with the idea after the VFW post in Westland organized a similar event last month.

“We saw what they did and we figured we’d do the same,” LaFlash said. “We want to do this to keep her spirit alive and keep her name out there.”

Buchanan’s body was discovered by two fishermen in June. LaFlash said that she feels as though the media buzz about Buchanan died after her corpse was found.

“It’s sad to think that people are starting to forget about this, but in a way they are,” LaFlash said.

LaFlash expressed concern about the young girl’s killer being on the loose.

“The main thing behind this is, the killer’s still out there,” she said. “It scares me to death because I have a 5-year-old daughter.”

All proceeds from the event will go to preschools in Monroe County. Monroe Public Schools will create an account for the money, which will be used to help local parents send their children to preschool.

Article:
http://www.lenconnect.com/news/x1692...who-was-killed

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:59 am

Vigil to comfort those affected by murder
last modified September 24. 2009 11:18AM

Dave Simpson knows what it like to lose a child to a senseless crime.

The Toledo resident lost two children to violent crimes. His 4-year-old daughter was strangled and his 19-year-old son was shot to death.

With the murder of 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan this summer, Mr. Simpson is reaching out to residents of Monroe County to let them know there is a support group in the area willing to help people cope with the death of a loved one.

"It’s not just for parents," he said. "It’s for the benefit of anyone who has lost a loved one to murder."

Mr. Simpson said those who helped search for Nevaeh are encouraged to attend the vigil.

"We have all been through what these people are going through," Mr. Simpson said. "We are here for them and to support them."

This year’s event features guest speaker Etta Caver, a Hamilton, Ohio, resident whose mother was the victim of a homicide. Ms. Caver, according to a news release, also has dealt with domestic violence and received several awards for her community service work.

Article:
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs....WS01/709249984

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:00 am

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:46 am

Nevaeh's family stresses safety
by Michelle Swartz
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091026/NEWS01/710269979

The family of Nevaeh Buchanan, the 5-year-old Monroe girl who was abducted and killed five months ago, sent a message to parents Sunday about their own children.

"It could happen to their kids, too," said Carla Elliotte of Toledo, paternal grandmother of Nevaeh. "You never think it will happen to your family, but we thought the same thing. We're here to remind parents not to let their kids out of their sight."

To help parents become more aware of protecting their children, Mrs. Elliotte organized a Halloween Safety Event Sunday at Riverside Early Learning Center. Supporters marched with signs outside promoting "Justice for Nevaeh" and "Safety Starts at Home." Families and children in attendance also received Halloween goodie bags and child safety materials.

The event also included a child safety presentation by guest speaker Geralyn Harris of the Monroe County Mental Health Authority. She offered several tips for parents and children about staying safe from strangers.

"Never open the door unless an adult is in eyesight of you," she told the kids in the crowd of more than 30 people. "If not, do not open the door. Wait until an adult is near you before ever opening a door at your house."

She warned parents always to be aware of their children's whereabouts.

"There are bad people out there planning and preparing and just waiting for an opportunity," she said. "If you look away even for a second, that's the opportunity they have been waiting for. Don't give them that chance."

Sherry Buchanan, maternal grandmother of Nevaeh, shared her concern for local children. She is able to observe some parents' behaviors with their children since she works at a local grocery store.

"I'll see parents not paying attention to their kids or they let their kids run around in the store. Some of the kids will stand near the doors," she said. "You can't trust anyone anymore. I hope parents will watch their kids closely, especially with Halloween coming up."

It has been five months since Nevaeh was abducted from her N. Macomb St. apartment complex. She was later discovered in a shallow grave near the River Raisin.

"We want justice. We hope the police will find the person who did this to her," Mrs. Elliotte said. "We're not giving up hope."

Since the abduction, Nevaeh's mother, Jennifer, has been under scrutiny about the case and possible involvement. Her mother, Sherry Buchanan, does not believe she has anything to do with the crime.

"I wouldn't be standing by her if I thought she had anything to do with this. I know in my heart she was not involved," she said. "I wish the people of Monroe County would stop blaming her. The police need to find the real person who did this."

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:27 pm

:rip:

Back to top Go down
starlight
Team Caylee
Team Caylee

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:47 pm

:candle:

Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:55 am

Family still seeks answers, closure in girl's slaying
13,000 tips later, grisly Nevaeh case remains unsolved after 7 months

Sherry Buchanan said she hurts every day, but the holidays are among the hardest. She also is dreading Feb. 3, when her granddaughter would have turned 6 years old.

"I think about Nevaeh constantly. I just wish that she was here now," she said just days before Christmas. "I raised her from the first day she was born. I did everything with her."

Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield said a special task force of local, state, and federal law enforcement continues to investigate and the crime remains a high priority.

"Investigators are still pursuing leads and following up on additional information received. The investigation is far from having reached a dead end," he said in a written statement.

Detectives assigned to the case last month distributed questions to residents, asking for written answers. The questions ask about their activities and whereabouts on the day Nevaeh went missing and whether they were the person responsible for the crime.

Diane Edwards said she and her family complied with the requests even though she had doubts about the questionnaire's usefulness.

"If we didn't fill it out, it would seem like we might have something to do with it," she said.

Relatives have photos of Nevaeh Buchanan, but what they want are answers to how the 5-year-old vanished and who killed her

VIEW: The disappearance of Neveah (photos, stories and video)
http://toledoblade.com/assets/swf/TO6692867.SWF

Last edited by Melinda on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 am

Mourners recall slain Monroe girl
Somber gathering marks Nevaeh's 6th birthday
February 04, 2010

Nevaeh Buchanan would have turned 6 yesterday. Although the girl was killed last spring, she was fresh in the minds of mourners who gathered at her grave here to remember her on her birthday.

"I wish she was here so I could make her a big old birthday cake," said Diane Lawson, her great aunt, the anguish in her voice apparent.

Instead, she put balloons on Nevaeh's grave that already was beautifully bedecked with a blanket of greenery and pink flowers. The heart on the balloon read "I love you."

Shaun Lawson, Nevaeh's cousin, said he organized the brief service in St. Joseph Cemetery to keep memory of the girl alive and as a reminder that her killer has not been found.

The case remains unsolved. The Monroe County Sheriff's Office has released no new details since the release of the autopsy, which showed the little girl may have been buried alive.

As a cold wind blew across the cemetery, Nevaeh's mother, Jennifer Buchanan, tied a Happy Birthday balloon to
Danielle Owens, left, and Diane Lawson embrace at the grave site of Nevaeh Buchanan. The girl’s killer has not been found.

Article:
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100204/NEWS02/2040374

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:29 am

The search for Nevaeh Buchanan
WTVG - 02/15/10

Almost a year and 13,000 tips later, no killer has been charged with the child's death. It's the most high-profile murder case in our area in years. Nevaeh Buchanan, 5, was taken from her home and buried alive. It happened last summer, but to this day, the crime remains unsolved. Her name was Nevaeh-- heaven spelled backward-- and on her tombstone, she's called "Monroe's Little Angel."

Diana Lawson is Nevaeh's great-aunt. She still lives in the Charlotte Arms apartment building, across the hall from where Nevaeh was last seen. That was May 24 of last year. How Nevaeh disappeared is unclear. After a massive 10-day search, two fishermen uncovered her body. It was encased in cement along a bank of the River Raisin, near the town of Maybee.

A large, wooden cross now stands along the riverbank, marking the site where investigators recovered Nevaeh's body. It's here you'll also find signs offering a $20,000 reward to whomever can help solve this mystery.

Two weeks ago would have marked Nevaeh's sixth birthday. A small crowd gathered to remember the girl, including Nevaeh's mother, Jennifer Buchanan. Jennifer did not speak to the media. She and Nevaeh's grandmother, who was the girl's legal guardian, have since moved out of Charlotte Arms.

Meantime, Nevaeh's aunt says she still contacts investigators, asking for updates. We were all set to talk with a sergeant about the investigation and where it stands, when the sheriff of Monroe County pulled the plug. At this point, we are told there will be no on-camera interviews about the Nevaeh Buchanan case.

We do know the two men originally considered "persons of interest" are still in prison. George Kennedy and Roy Smith never faced new charges. The convicted sex offenders were both found guilty of violating parole by contacting Nevaeh's family. They're currently finishing out their original sentences.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Thu May 13, 2010 7:33 am

Justice for Nevaeh Announces up to $1,500 Anonymous Reward for Information on the Abduction and Murder of Nevaeh Buchanan

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (May 10, 2010)– MONROE, MI: Justice for Nevaeh, an association devoted to seeking Justice for Nevaeh Buchanan, a five-year old little girl who was abducted last year while playing outside her home in Monroe and brutally murdered, is offering up to $1,500 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for committing this heinous crime.

“The citizens of Monroe and the surrounding areas came together to search tirelessly to help find little Nevaeh during the time she was missing” said representatives of Justice for Nevaeh. “Now we need the community’s help in solving this crime. Justice for Nevaeh is devoted to seeing an arrest and conviction and is offering a way to provide information anonymously. We don’t want your name. We want your information, no matter how insignificant it may seem. It is often something simple, like someone unexpectedly missing work, falling ill, selling a car, or moving, that provides the one key thing that pulls the entire case together and gets a child killer off the streets. That’s our goal.”

Anyone having information should call Justice for Nevaeh’s anonymous tip line at (734) 419-3232 or (412) 849-0079. Information may also be sent anonymously by email to Justice4Nevaeh@gmail.com.

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:22 am

Police seek tips in child's 2009 abduction and slaying ~
New York (CNN) -- Her mother named the little girl Nevaeh, "heaven" spelled backwards. Jennifer Buchanan says her daughter always was a little bit of heaven to her.

Nevaeh Buchanan was 5 when she was kidnapped on May 24 last year; her body was found in a shallow grave on June 4.

A fisherman found Nevaeh's body along the bank of the River Raisin near Monroe, Michigan, about 10 miles from the apartment she shared with her mother and grandmother.

An autopsy showed the child died of asphyxiation. According to local news reports, she was most likely buried alive, though police will not formally confirm details. They did say, however, that a material similar to cement was found on top of her body.

A year later, no one has been charged with abducting and killing Nevaeh. Her family is still waiting for answers.

Last month, on the anniversary of the child's death, an organization called Justice for Nevaeh held a rally down the street from the apartment complex where she lived. The event included games and food for children as well as karate, self-defense classes and child safety presentations.

Nevaeh was last seen the evening of May 24, playing in the U-turn driveway of her apartment complex.

"She wasn't supposed to be outside," Jennifer Buchanan said. "She was supposed to be upstairs at a neighbor's playing with her friend at their place."
She wasn't supposed to be outside.
--Jennifer Buchanan, slain child's mother

Buchanan said she searched for Nevaeh after another child tattled that she was playing outside. She recalled the cold fear that gripped her when she found her daughter's tricycle abandoned at the edge of the property.

"The sun was going down. It was almost 8 p.m. so I went looking for Nevaeh, but we couldn't find her," said Buchanan, 25, who herself had recently been in trouble with the law. She had spent a few weeks in jail before being placed on probation in connection with a home invasion.

"I was in some trouble, but after I got out I focused on my daughter and getting my life back together," Buchanan said.

Nevaeh's official guardian was her grandmother, who lived in the apartment with them.

Buchanan said police told her that Nevaeh was not sexually assaulted and that no drugs were found in her system.

Police would not discuss whether the child was sexually abused, but Detective Sgt. Heath Velliquette of the Monroe County Sheriff's Office said toxicology reports came back negative.

Early in the investigation, police focused on two of Buchanan's friends. Both were convicted sex offenders. The men were arrested on parole violations and questioned extensively. Neither has been officially named a suspect.

One of the men was living at a nearby motel, and police searched his room but found no forensic evidence to connect him to the child's disappearance.

Buchanan explained that she met one of the men while reporting to her probation officer. She said she had known him for two years and never left her daughter alone with him.

Nevaeh called him "Daddy George," and he brought her toys and gifts, Buchanan added. She said she knew about his past rape case, adding, "I believe people should get a second chance."
We are following up leads and investigating new information every day.
--Det. Heath Velliquette

Police have since shifted their focus away from the two sex offenders.

"We are looking in a different direction in recent months, based on our investigation," said Velliquette.

Investigators are looking at another Monroe resident, but Velliquette would provide no further details.

"This is not a cold case," Velliquette said. "We are following up leads and investigating new information every day."

Police say that while they are not naming any suspects or persons of interest, investigators have not ruled anyone out either.

The FBI is offering a $20,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of a suspect. If anyone has any information, police ask that you call their tip line at 734-457-6713.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/05/grace.coldcase.nevaeh.buchanan/index.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Sexual Offenders in your area:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 am

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:03 am

:candle:

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Sexual Offenders in your area:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.   

Back to top Go down

Nevaeh Buchanan (5) R.I.P.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2