~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C)

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.   Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 4:19 am

Arlington mom whose 1-year-old son died after she left him in hot car finally speaks October 5, 2009

Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. 2rxcl68
Darrell "Tre" Singleton III

A key voice missing from the three stories we published in recent days about Keashia Matthews was Matthews herself. That's because despite our best efforts to question Matthews about why she would knowingly leave her 1-year-old son in a hot car for eight hours, the Arlington woman was nowhere to be found.

It seems Matthews, 37, who faces criminal charges in the Sept. 3 death of Darrell "Tre" Singleton III, has emerged. She was given a free opportunity to defend herself in an interview with WFAA-TV (Channel 8) yesterday.

Matthews says she left her child in her vehicle while she worked in Bedford on a 95-degree day because she "never expected him to be there all day." She claims someone was supposed to pick Darrell up, but that person never showed up. She checked on her son in the car throughout the day, she claims, and did not realize he was unresponsive until leaving work.

She tells WFAA she then took her child to Arlington Memorial Hospital, but that is not what she told police she did next. She told police she drove from work to an Arlington elementary school to pick up her two daughters, ages 5 and 6. Only after that did she take her youngest child to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead with a body temperature of 107.5 degrees.

Matthews says she has wondered since that day "Just what I could have done different?"

Her explanation of the events that led to her son's death speaks for itself. (Remember, Matthews also initially lied to police and others about the events that day.) One thing she could have done differently that day would have been to not leave Darrell (right) alone to die in a hot car.

A larger question that still looms over this awful case is what could Child Protective Services have done differently?

The agency has had multiple contacts with Matthews since 2003 and was aware that she is a parent with a long history of abuse and neglect against her children.

The agency's most recent contacts with Matthews came twice this year, first when she was accused of hitting her kids and, later, when she was accused of leaving them home alone.

CPS spokeswoman Marissa Gonzales said this last week about the case prompted by the allegation that Matthews was leaving her kids home alone:

"That was checked out and that was substantiated," Gonzales said. "She ended up securing daycare for the children so they wouldn't have to stay home alone, and that case was closed in June."

But Matthews told WFAA that she needed her job in Bedford to qualify for childcare assistance and was still short of the work hours required to meet those qualifications. She also clearly had no day care for Darrell on the day he died. Which brings us back to one of many key questions for CPS: Did Matthews really ever have day care for her kids? And if she didn't, why would CPS close that neglect case in June, three months before Darrell died?

One other thing Matthews said in her TV interview that caught my eye: "I love my babies and I'm not what they say I am in the paper," she said. "I try so hard."

What we have said in the paper is based entirely on police and court documents and interviews with those who know her, including her sister and mother. Her mother, Suzette Edwards, adopted her first two children, ages 14 and 12, after they were seized from Matthews by authorities in Detroit in the 1990s.

In my first conversation with Edwards last week, she said of her daughter, "She has aggression issues, and she is not fit to be a mother ... She never has been. She has never liked children."

Her documented record as a parent appears to support those statements

Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. 24y7e6s
Keashia Matthews

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/10/arlington-mom-whose-1-year-old.html
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.   Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 am

:rip:
Back to top Go down
starlight
Team Caylee
Team Caylee
starlight

PostSubject: Re: Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.   Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 1:57 pm

:candle:
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Team Missing
Team Missing
Suzi

PostSubject: Re: Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.   Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Purplecandle-1
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Ava

PostSubject: Re: Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.   Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 7:44 am

:candle:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.   Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Darrell "Tre" Singleton III (1) R.I.P.
Page 1 of 1