Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 pm

Molly Hatchett Performs For Somer

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21611979/detail.html

Music Festival Held In Honor Of Somer

Hundreds Attend Event In Orange Park
November 15, 2009
Somer Renee Thompson

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- The outpouring of love and support continued on Sunday as neighbors kept Somer Thompson in their hearts.

On Sunday, hundreds of people remembered the 7-year-old girl at a music festival in her honor as the newly formed group known as the "Rockers Against Sexual Predators" held the "Somer's Day Music Festival" in Orange Park.

Ten local bands strummed their guitars in an effort to raise money for Somer Thompson's family. The event was all about raising donations and awareness.

"We want to bring the community together to get as many of the groups we got here to bring the awareness to the children and to the parents," said Will Sabo, co-founder of RASP.

Hundreds attend a festival at Town Hall Park Sunday afternoon to celebrate the life of Somer Thompson.

Organizers want to make this an annual event, and hope next year it will be extended into a two-day music festival. All of the proceeds raised in the event will be given to the Thompson family.

Somer Thompson was abducted while walking home from school in October. Her body was found two days later in a Folkston, Ga., landfill.

The child's killer has not been caught.

Anyone with any information that could help police in their search for Somer's killer is asked to call the Clay County tipline at 877-227-6911 or Crime Stoppers at 866-845-TIPS. You can also e-mail Clay County investigators at cart@claysheriff.com.

The total amount of reward money in the case stands at $45,000.

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:45 pm

:rip:

THOMPSON Funeral services for Somer Renee Thompson, age 7, of Orange Park, FL will be held at 11:00 AM on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 at First Baptist Church of Orange Park, 1140 Kingsley Ave., Orange Park with Pastor David Tarkington officiating. Somer will be laid to rest in a private ceremony in the Garden of Prayer at Jacksonville Memory Gardens. Family members and friends will gather on Monday evening from 5:00 PM until 8:00 PM at First Baptist Church of Orange Park. Somer was born April 5, 2002 in Columbia, SC. She attended Grove Park Elementary School, was a charter member of Nana's Girls Club (No Boys Allowed), and she loved to dance and sing. She will be forever loved and missed. She is survived by her mother Diena Thompson; her sister Abigail Thompson; her brother Andrew Cardinal and twin brother Samuel Thompson; her grandparents Phillip and Deborah Bowling; her aunts Dawn Bruner (Forest), and Denise Foskey; also many other loving family members and friends. You are our sunshine. Please Sign the Guestbook @ Jacksonville.com

Created by: crankycrankerson
Sub-album:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Somer%20Thompson/Vinson%20Lawsuit/

Somer's regular album:
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Somer%20Thompson/

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:45 am

Fears for Somer Thompson's Safety Expressed a Year Before Her Slaying

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=150748&catid=3

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Local attorney donates services to Thompson family
1/18/2010
by Joe Wilhelm Jr.
Staff Writer

“Godsend” is a word that may not be regularly associated with attorneys, but that is how a mother, whose 7 year-old daughter was kidnapped three months ago, described her attorney.

The story of kidnapping victim Somer Thompson shocked the local community and the nation when her body was found in a landfill in Georgia after she disappeared from her Orange Park neighborhood. The last thing on Diena Thompson’s mind was hiring a lawyer to protect her and her family’s rights, but Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler recommended Jacksonville attorney Mike Freed, who is active in the effort to stop human trafficking and protecting the rights of children victimized by this act. Thompson had one less thing to worry about when Freed pledged his services free of charge.

“He has taken a lot of weight off of my shoulders,” said Diena Thompson. “After it happened I thought, ‘How do I protect myself and my children.’ (Freed) has helped us out so much. He’s been a Godsend.”

Thompson wasn’t familiar with being part of a police investigation, answering questions from the media or handling money that was donated in honor of Somer. Besides being a liaison between Thompson and the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, Freed has established the Thompson Family Trust through Jacksonville Bank to provide the public a way to donate to the family, developed a group of advisors that review fundraising proposals to weed out possible scams and now advises Thompson on opportunities to speak to the media and the public on her experiences.

“He’s there when I do interviews,” said Thompson. “He doesn’t tell me what to say, just tells me to speak from my heart.”

Freed is able to help Thompson prepare for interviews with tips from his own experiences. He has appeared on television
programs “The Dr. Phil Show”, “The Today Show” and “Nancy Grace” to talk about his experiences with the Thompson family and his work raising awareness of human trafficking.

“(Diena) contacted me after she had heard about the work my wife and I do raising the awareness of human trafficking,” said Freed. “She asked us if we could help out and it was an easy decision.”

Freed makes himself available to Thompson around the clock, something his client is truly thankful for.

“We talked at least once a day for a couple of months, but it has slowed to about once a week now,” said Thompson. “But I can call him any time, even if it’s just something that upsets me. He’s got my best interest at heart, and He’s not in it for the money. That’s refreshing at this day and age.”

Freed isn’t the only one to donate services to the Thompsons. Interchanges.com created the Web site www.rememberingsomer.com as a memorial to Somer and also to provide the public a way to donate online.

jwilhelm@baileypub.com

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=530063

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:20 am

Team Somer Gives Look At Killer Search
15 Clay County Detectives Assigned To Finding 7-Year-Old Girl's Killer
POSTED: Tuesday, February 2, 2010

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/22408917/detail.html

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- For more than three months, 15 Clay County detectives have made it their primary focus to find the killer of Somer Thompson, the 7-year-old disappeared from her Grove Park neighborhood in October as she walked home from school.
Thompson's body was discovered three days later in a Folkston, Ga., landfill.
On Monday, Team Somer, as the detectives are called, showed Local 6 News partner WKXT-TV where they're working and what they're doing in their search.
"This is our main conference area where we are going through our leads right now. Close to 5,000 leads right now," Sgt. Dan Mahla said.
The detectives have received 4,477 tips, to be exact.
"One of the things that we do any time there is an abduction, we go back through our leads again and make sure that we didn't miss anything," Mahla said. "Part of our team is working on that. ... All our neighborhood canvass we completed. (It's) very, very time consuming knocking on everyone's door making contact with people who live in the area of the abduction.
"Up here on the wall is a blown-up map of where the Thompson family lives," Mahla added. "(It) shows a lot more of the streets of where Somer was at, walking down Gano (Avenue) from her school."
Investigators did not give any details in the case but said they are determined and optimistic Somer's killer will be identified and arrested.
If you know anything that could help investigators find Somer's killer, you're asked to call the Clay County tipline at 877-227-6911 or Crime Stoppers at 866-845-TIPS. You can also send an e-mail to cart@claysheriff.com.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:20 am

Business Claims Gannett Station Defamed It
By VIRGINIA CHAMLEE

JACKSONVILLE (CN) - A construction company claims a Gannett TV station defamed it by linking it to the case of a 7-year-old girl who was abducted and murdered. Vinson Design & Build claims First Coast News broadcast an Oct. 23, 2009 report that singled out Vinson as having worked on the young girl's home and having hired a registered sex offender.
Vinson accuses the defendants of "failing to report on any (other) sex offenders living/working in the area of Thompson's home ... [or] school," any other business that had "provided services to Somer Thompson and her family," or any other registered sex offenders living or working near Thompson's home. (Parentheses in complaint.)
It also claims the station broadcast the report from its property without permission.
Somer Thompson, 7, made national headlines when she was abducted from her Jacksonville-area community and later found dead in a Georgia landfill. The case remains unsolved.
Vinson also sued anchorwoman Jeannie Blaylock and reporter Jackelyn Barnard, claiming their report alleged a direct connection between Vinson and abduction.
Vinson claims the report damaged its reputation, and says that since then it has been "shunned by many persons with whom it had previous social or business relations."
Vinson is represented in Duval County Court by Gordon T. Nicoll.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/01/20/23855.htm

Back to top Go down
starlight
Team Caylee
Team Caylee

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 am

Detectives Follow More Leads in Somer Thompson's Death
Taren Reed Jackelyn Barnard
Created: 2/8/2010 4:12:46 PM Updated: 2/8/2010 6:36:21 PM

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=151755&catid=3

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Detectives with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office arrested a 21-year-old man Feb. 5 for kidnapping and sexually battering a 16-year-old girl on her way to school last Thursday morning. This is about 10 miles from where Somer Thompson disappeared.

Now, JSO has spoken with the Clay County Sheriff's Office and passed along information to those investigating Somer Thompson's death, said Assistant Chief Tom Hackney with JSO.

Police say they believe Matthew Watson was waiting in the woods in the 10,000 block of 103rd Street near Connie Jean Road to commit the crime. This is on the Westside.

"We made them aware of this individual, his motives and a little bit of his criminal history. They are aware of it and they are looking into it," said Hackney.

Watson made his first court appearance Saturday morning and will be held without bond. He has been arrested in the past and was linked to the Westside crime through DNA.

The Clay County Sheriff's Office released a statement on Monday which said:

"We can confirm that we were notified by JSO because their case involved a juvenile. As with many cases that occur near our border, they shared information about their case with us. We remain committed to not discussing any of the specific details of the Somer Thompson case and ask that no one make any assumptions about Somer's abduction and death based on JSO's comments."

Somer was abducted and murdered back in October 2009. Her body was found two days later in a Georgia landfill. Police have sifted through thousands of leads looking for her killer. Somer's mom, Diena, spoke to First Coast News recently and believes the killer is local and spoke to Somer at least once to gain her trust.

The reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect in the Somer Thompson case has grown to $64,000.

Call First Coast Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS if you have any information. You will remain anonymous. You can also send tips to the Clay County Sheriff's Office at 1-877-227-6911 or via email at cart@claysheriff.com.

You can donate to the Somer Thompson reward fund at Ameris Bank. It has two locations. One is at 888 Lane Avenue and the other is at 4835 Town Center Parkway. The account number is 3123504437.

First Coast News

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:15 pm

Deputies, FBI search home near Somer Thompson's disappearance; sheriff to speak.
'I'm going to put my faith in God,' Somer's mother said; one search warrant is served a block from where the Orange Park girl was last seen.

Clay County Sheriff's Officers park outside of a Clay County home where they are serving a search warrant in the Somer Thompson murder case.

Follow the case
http://jacksonville.com/news/somer-thompson

Read a letter of thanks from Somer's mother, Diena Thompson. Letter requires Adobe Acrobat reader.
http://news.jacksonville.com/specials/pdfs/letter_Diena_Thompson102809.pdf

Facts in the case

* Oct. 27 | Hundreds attend Somer Thompson's funeral at First Baptist Church in Orange Park.
* Oct. 22 | Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler confirms that the body is that of Somer Thompson.
* Oct. 21 | The body of a small child was found in a Ga. landfill where authorities were looking for Somer Thompson.
* Oct. 20 | An Amber Alert was issued about her disappearance.
* Oct. 19 | Somer was last seen wearing a cranberry colored jumpsuit with pink-striped sleeves. She is 3-foot-5, weighs 65 lbs and has brown hair.

Read or sign Somer's Guest Book
Somer Renee Thompson's memorial Guest Book
http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx?bookid=610020162479&cid=full

Facebook memorial wall
Somer Renee Thompson memorial wall on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=173690669016
Facebook Photos
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=photos&gid=173690669016&so=0

ORANGE PARK - Clay County investigators and FBI agents are searching an unoccupied house in the block just west of where Sheriff Rick Beseler has said Somer Thompson was last seen before her Oct. 19 disappearance and slaying.

The home at 1152 Gano Ave. was roped off with police tape about 2:20 p.m. as deputies and an FBI forensics team began searching in the front yard using rakes and shovels. Armed with a search warrant, they entered the home shortly befoer 3:30 p.m. A table is set up outside with brown paper bags to collect evidence.

The single-story brick house was apparently empty when police arrived. Next door neighbor Thelma Cody, 77, said a husband, wife and their two sons and a cousin who'd been living in the home moved out last year. She said she wasn't sure when the family moved or where to. Another neighbor, Tanyia Williams, said she saw people move into the home last year, clean up the property and then leave at some point later in the year.

Records obtained by the Times-Union show the listed property owner, General L. Dailey, moved out of the home late last year, possibly in mid- to late November. Dailey, 66, owned the house since 1996, according to Clay County property appraiser records. One record reviewed by the Times-Union listed Dailey's occupation at one time as an independent Baptist preacher. Neighbors said they knew little about who lived in the home.

Neither Sheriff Rick Beseler nor any other authorities have said why the house is being searched and whether the search is connected to Somer's case.

Beseler will issue what his office is calling a brief prepared statement at 7 p.m. and will not take any questions from reporters, according to an e-mail from Mary Justino, the agency's spokeswoman. Beseler's appearance is significant because the sheriff has been saying for months he won't address inquires about the Somer Thompson case publically unless there is a significant development.

Investigators have said that they have been waiting for tests on hundreds of evidence samples taken from the landfill where Somer was found. About half of those tests have come back; a number of the results were received recently, investigators have said.

Diena Thompson, Somer's mother, told the Times-Union this afternoon she supports whatever work authorities can do to bring Somer's killer to justice.

"I'm not speculating on anything. I don't want to get my hopes up and I don't want to get my hopes down,"said Thompson, 35, said of the search. "I'm going to put my faith in God and hope the Clay County Sheriff's Office does what they're good at."

Somer, 7, disappeared ,Oct. 19 while walking home from Grove Park Elementary with her brother and sister. Hundreds of people scoured the neighborhood after she vanished. Her body was found in a Folkston landfill two days later.

In the days after Somer disappeared, investigators, including the same FBI forensics team on-hand today, nitially focused on a home under renovation at 1080 Gano Ave. Investigators searched a Dumpster on that property and also gathered evidence from inside the home, which had been damaged in a fire and has not been reoccupied.

Today's police activity occurred as a number of students were walking home from Somer’s school on the route she usually took. The seasrch drew several curious neighbors from their homes.

“Does this have anything to do with the little girl?” asked Joey Smith, 24, who lives about a block away.

Lisa Gainers, who lives near the home, aid she hopes police will be able to learn more about Somer's disappearance and death from their search.

"If they find something pertaining to Somer, that's good," said Gainers, 49.
http://jacksonville.com/news/2010-02-11/story/deputies_fbi_search_home_near_somer_thompsons_disappearance_sheriff_to_speak

This is the arrest warrent for Jarred Harrell, the man who is a person of interest in Somer's murder.
http://download.gannett.edgesuite.net/wtlv/docs/021110_harrell_warrant.pdf

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:24 am

Suspect In Somer Thompson Murder Returning To Fla.
February 22, 2010

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- -- JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour has signed an extradition order (read) for a man who is a person of interest in the slaying of a 7-year-old Florida girl.

The order was signed on Thursday. Florida officials received it Monday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
READ: Extradition Order
http://www.wftv.com/pdf/22633374/detail.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The order directs authorities in Lauderdale County to release Jarred Mitchell Harrell to Florida, where he faces 29 counts of possession of child pornography.

Authorities say Harrell is wanted for questioning in Somer Thompson's October death. Her body was found in a south Georgia landfill two days after she disappeared while walking home from school in Orange Park, near Jacksonville.

Harrell, an unemployed 24-year-old who lived on and off in Somer's neighborhood, was arrested Feb. 11 in Meridian, Miss. He is being held there on a $1 million bond.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:16 am

Major Announcement Coming In Somer Thompson Case

March 26,2010

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- Early Friday morning, the Clay County Sheriff's Office announced it will speak at noon about a major development in the Somer Thompson murder investigation.

“The members of Team Somer, led by Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler, will announce a major development in the Somer Thompson murder investigation today at noon,” officials wrote in an early morning release.

The 7-year-old disappeared from her home in October. Her body was found in a Georgia landfill days later.

A person of interest was arrested on separate child pornography charges last month.

http://www.wftv.com/news/22962544/detail.html

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:38 am

Harrell Charged With Murder Of Somer Thompson
7-Year-Old Orange Park Girl Was Abducted, Killed In October
March 26,2010
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22954672/detail.html

Somer Thompson disappeared as she walked home from school on Oct. 19. Her body was found two days later in the Georgia landfill where Orange Park's trash is dumped.
ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Channel 4 has confirmed that a man arrested in Mississippi on child pornography charges last month is now charged with murder, and sexual battery and other counts in connection with the death of Somer Thompson.

Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler notified the media before dawn Friday that he will announce a major development in the Somer's homicide investigation at noon.

Sources confirmed to Channel 4's Jennifer Waugh that Jarred Harrell -- named a person of interest in Somer's death when he was arrested -- was charged with murder at 6 a.m. Friday.

Clay County Sheriff's Office booking photo of Jarred Harrell

Team Somer, the group of investigators who have worked on the case since the 7-year-old was abducted and killed in October, will join the sheriff as he makes the announcement. Somer's mother, Deina Thompson, is expected to talk to reporters at 1 p.m.

Harrell, 24, was arrested last month in Meridian, Miss., and returned to Clay County to face 55 charges involving molestation and child pornography.

Clay County deputies said that in October, Harrell lived on Gano Avenue, a house that Somer walked by on her way home from school every day and only a few doors from where the girl was last seen alive. Her body was found two days later in the Charlton County, Ga., landfill where Orange's Park's trash is dumped.

Two weeks ago, Harrell was arraigned on the pornography and molestation charges and pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors said counts of molestation and using a child in a sexual performance were related to a 3-year-old girl and that none of the charges had any connection to Somer.

Court Documents:
Jarred Harrell Jail Documents (Early March)
http://www.news4jax.com/download/2010/0310/22801127.pdf
New Arrest Report: Harrell Charged With Molestation
http://www.news4jax.com/download/2010/0224/22661218.pdf
Harrell - Clay County Booking Sheet
http://www.news4jax.com/download/2010/0224/22656983.pdf

Harrell is being held in an isolation cell and without bond in the Clay County jail. His public defender declined to comment on the case.

When Beseler made a brief statement after Harrell was arrested, he said he would not talk in public again about the Somer murder investigation until there was a major development.

Friday's announcement will take place at the First Baptist Church of Orange Park, the church where Somer's funeral was held.

Channel 4 will carry this announcement live on both the local station and News4Jax.com. Special coverage will begin at 11:30 a.m.

Previous Stories:
•March 19, 2010: Orange Park Man Accused Of Child Porn
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22877454/detail.html
•March 9, 2010: Jarred Harrell Facing 13 New Charges
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22790019/detail.html
•March 4, 2010: Man Has Bizarre Connection To Harrell
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22743700/detail.html
•March 2, 2010: Documents Detail Harrell's Stay In Jail
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22708293/detail.html
•February 25, 2010: Harrell Back In Court, Held Without Bond
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22652834/detail.html
•February 24, 2010: Molestation Charges Added On Harrell
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22667377/detail.html
•February 23, 2010: Harrell Being Returned To Clay County
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22644206/detail.html
•February 20, 2010: Mississippi OKs Harrell's Extradition
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22619473/detail.html
•February 18, 2010: Haleigh's, Somer's Families Get Support
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22603824/detail.html
•February 18, 2010: Crist Asks Miss. Gov. To Extradite Harrell
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22619473/detail.html
•February 16, 2010: Somer's Father Talks About Man's Arrest
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22583184/detail.html
•February 15, 2010: Suspect Fights Extradition To Clay County
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22569680/detail.html
•February 12, 2010: Somer's Mom Tries Not To Get Hopes Up
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22545159/detail.html
•February 12, 2010: Friends Found Porn On Harrell's Computer
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22546613/detail.html
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22545159/detail.html
•February 12, 2010: Search For Somer's Killer Leads To Mississippi
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22542514/detail.html
•February 11, 2010: Person Of Interest Arrested In Somer Thompson Case
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22542514/detail.html
•February 5, 2010: Inside Look At Somer Investigation
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22469427/detail.html
•February 2, 2010: Somer's Mom: Pain Now Just As Intense
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22414234/detail.html
•February 1, 2010: Team Somer Gives Look At Killer Search
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22402963/detail.html
•January 22, 2010: Somer's Mom Appears On 'Today' Show
http://www.news4jax.com/news/22316436/detail.html

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22954672/detail.html

Back to top Go down
Suzi
Team Missing
Team Missing

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 pm

Somer's Mom To Man Charged With Murder: "We Got You"
March 26,2010

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- A 7-year-old Florida girl whose body was discovered in a Georgia landfill was walking home from school when she was lured into a home by a 24-year-old man and sexually assaulted before being killed, Clay County Sheriff Rick Beseler said Friday.

Jarred Mitchell Harrell, who was already in jail on dozens of child pornography charges, was charged with premeditated murder in the death of Somer Thompson. Authorities said she was asphyxiated and tossed into a trash bin, but they did not give many details about her death.

Somer Thompson's mother held a 2:00pm press conference Friday and said, "We got you and you're not getting away."

Harrell also faces charges of lewd and lascivious battery and sexual battery.

Somer, an elementary school student who loved the color purple and the song "You are My Sunshine," went missing Oct. 19. Her body was found two days later in a Georgia landfill about 50 miles from her north Florida home.

During a press conference at the same church where Somer's memorial service was held, Beseler said detectives used DNA evidence, witnesses and statements from Harrell himself to solve the case.

"Our collective resolve to bring Somer's killer to justice is the only light in the darkness caused by this tragedy," Beseler said as about 50 members of "Team Somer" -- the sheriff's office investigators and staff who worked the case -- stood by.

Harrell, who is being held at the Clay County Jail, has been in custody since Feb. 11, when authorities arrested him in Mississippi on child pornography charges in Florida.

His relatives have said they don't believe he is capable of violence. It is unclear whether he has an attorney. Messages left at the public defender's office were not immediately returned.

Prosecutors can seek the death penalty in this case, but they have not said whether they will do so.

Clay County detectives said at the time of Somer's disappearance, Harrell was living at his parents' suburban Jacksonville home, near her home and school.

Beseler said Somer was not in Harrell's parents' home for long.

"I believe it was something that went rather quickly," he said.

He didn't want to reveal details about the case, for fear of jeopardizing the trial.

"We are confident Jarred Harrell committed this crime," Beseler said.

After Somer vanished, investigators interviewed all known sex offenders within a 5-mile radius of her home. On a hunch, they tailed nine garbage trucks from her neighborhood to the landfill and picked through the trash as each rig spilled its load and sorted through more than 225 tons of garbage before they spotted her legs sticking out of the trash.

The discovery of Somer's body touched off an outpouring of support in northeast Florida and southern Georgia for the Thompson family; days of vigils and fundraisers were held so Somer's mom, Diena Thompson, could financially afford to stay home with her other children. A mountain of stuffed animals, balloons and notes to the family sprung up near a tree across from the little girl's home.

Harrell had come to the attention of law enforcement in August, two months before Somer disappeared. His roommates said they kicked him out for stealing and they discovered child pornography. It was soon turned over to investigators.

The parents of one the roommates drove by Harrell's parents' home a few days after Somer disappeared and noticed how close they lived to the girl's house. When they saw Harrell's car in his parents' driveway, they told detectives.

He was arrested Feb. 11 on child pornography charges at an aunt's home in Meridian, Miss., where he had moved a few weeks earlier. He was then called only a person of interest in Somer's slaying.

The sheriff's office has said Harrell wasn't arrested earlier because detectives had to prove Harrell downloaded the child porn.

Harrell was charged with 29 counts of possessing child pornography in Florida, then charged with a dozen additional counts of child porn and child molestation.

At the time of his February arrest, Harrell's aunt said she didn't think her nephew was capable of violence.

"They tried to make it sound like he's some monster, but he's not," said Kriss Mizelle, who let Harrell stay with her in Meridian. "I could say all these good things about him, but nobody wants to hear that. They think you're delusional and don't know about his secret life, but he's a good kid."

Harrell was originally from Lucedale, Miss., and was home-schooled before moving to Florida. He worked various jobs, from cooking to retail, Mizelle said. Friends described him as a "computer wiz."

http://www.wftv.com/news/22962544/detail.html

*Fly away Haleigh *
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:27 am

Somer's Mom To Appear On 'Today'
Man Charged With Child's Killing Friday
March 29, 2010

http://www.wesh.com/news/22984907/detail.html

The mother of slain girl Somer Thompson will make an appearance on the "Today" show Monday morning.
Jarred Harrell was charged with Somer's murder on Friday after a five-month investigation.
Detectives believe he killed the girl and dumped her body in a Georgia landfill.
Authorities said they found DNA evidence that links Harrell to the crime.
Somer's mother, Diena, has been very outspoken throughout the investigation.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:27 am

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Thu May 13, 2010 7:33 am

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23268020/detail.html
Oak Tree Memorializes Somer Thompson
7-Year-Old Orange Park Girl Killed In October

April 26, 2010

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- An oak tree has been planted at Clarke House Park in Orange Park to honor 7-year-old Somer Thompson, who was killed in October.

A plaque on the tree has Somer's name on it and the title of her favorite song, "You Are My Sunshine." It's etched in purple, Somer's favorite color.

The tree was planted Thursday at the park where she used to play as part of Clay County's Earth Day activities.

Jarred Harrell, 24, who is charged with Somer's murder and other charges, was originally scheduled to be in court Monday, but his appearance was waived until Wednesday afternoon. He has pleaded not guilty.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Thu May 13, 2010 7:33 am

Jarred Harrell Accused Of Killing Somer Thompson
April 29, 2010
Somer's Mother Attends Jarred Harrell Hearing

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- Somer Thompson's mother saw Jarred Harrell face-to-face in court for the first time Thursday.

Somer disappeared Oct. 19 from her neighborhood in Orange Park. Her body was found two days later in a landfill in Folkston, Ga.

"It was hard to keep myself in the seat and not want to something to him," Diena Thompson said.

Thompson fought back tears as she watched the defense file three motion in a pretrial hearing for Harrell.

"He's so much of a coward that he can't even turn around and look at the mother of the child that he murdered," Thompson said.

The three motions, to preserve evidence, officer's notes and a protective order, were denied.

http://www.wesh.com/news/23307159/detail.html

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:08 am

:candle:

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Sexual Offenders in your area:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Jarred Harrell Absent From Pretrial Hearing

Man Accused Of Killing 7-Year-Old Orange Park Girl Somer Thompson

Previous Stories:
•May 20, 2010: Prosecutors To Seek Death For Harrell
•May 19, 2010: Somer Foundation Pushes For New Bill
•May 18, 2010: Run To Benefit Somer Thompson Foundation
•April 28, 2010: Somer's Mom Sees Jarred Harrell In Court
•April 26, 2010: Oak Tree Memorializes Somer Thompson
•April 20, 2010: Picture Of Somer Appears In Online Ad
•April 16, 2010: Documents: Jarred Harrell Home When Somer Disappeared
•April 8, 2010: Harrell Pleads Not Guilty To Murder
•April 1, 2010: Harrell Indicted In Somer's Killing
•March 29, 2010: Somer's Mom: Charges Bring Some Relief
•March 28, 2010: Thousands Pack Landing For 'Somer Jam'
•March 27, 2010: Parents Relieved After Harrell Charged
•March 26, 2010: Somer's Mom To Harrell: 'We Got You'
•March 26, 2010: Arrest In Somer's Killing Draws Applause
•March 26, 2010: Harrell Charged With Murder Of Somer Thompson
•March 10, 2010: Harrell Pleads Not Guilty On 55 Charges
•January 4, 2010: About 4,500 Tips Received In Somer Case
•December 15, 2009: Massive Search Continues For 7-Year-Old
•November 22, 2009: 'Ride For Somer' Raises Money For Family
•November 18, 2009: Sheriff: Somer's Case Not Cold
•November 15, 2009: Music Festival Held In Honor Of Somer
•November 13, 2009: Tips Still Pouring In For Somer's Case
•November 13, 2009: Rock Band Performs For Somer Thompson
•November 12, 2009: Diena: 'I Feel Like Somer's Pushing Me'
•November 12, 2009: Somer's Mom Target Of Hate Mail, Calls
•November 9, 2009: Somer's Case Gets National Exposure
•November 9, 2009: Molly Hatchet To Headline Somer Benefit
•November 2, 2009: Reward In Somer's Slaying Up To $45K
•October 31, 2009: Argyle Salon Sells Purple Hair Extensions For Somer
•October 30, 2009: National Child Safety Group Offers Advice
•October 29, 2009: Community On Edge For Halloween
•October 28, 2009: Sheriff Needs Help Finding Somer's Killer
•October 27, 2009: Thousands Say Goodbye To Somer
•October 27, 2009: Sheriff: Somer's Killer Is 'Unnerved'
•October 26, 2009: Somer's Family, Town Saying Goodbye
•October 26, 2009: Community Rallies Amid Search For Answers
•October 25, 2009: Mother Praises Efforts To Find Killer
•October 24, 2009: Mom: 'If You've Seen Anything, Just Tell'
•October 23, 2009: Mom To Girl's Killer: 'We'll Get You'
•October 22, 2009: House Searched Where Somer Last Seen
•October 22, 2009: 160 Sex Offenders Live Near Somer's Home
•October 21, 2009: Child's Body Found In SE Georgia Landfill
•October 21, 2009: Mom Pleads For Somer's Safe Return
•October 20, 2009: Community Searches For Missing Girl
•October 20, 2009: Massive Search Continues For 7-Year-Old
•October 20, 2009: Candlelight Vigil Held For Somer
•October 19, 2009: Search Continues For Missing Girl

http://www.news4jax.com/news/24021450/detail.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 am

Slain Girl's Mom Appears At Court Hearing

Jarred Harrell's Next Hearing Passed Until March In Somer Thompson's Death
POSTED: January 11, 2011

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- The mother of slain 7-year-old Somer Thompson was in court Tuesday morning for a pretrial hearing for the man accused of murdering her daughter.
Diena Thompson has promised to be at every hearing for Jarred Harrell, who's accused of killing Somer in October 2009 after kidnapping her on her way home from school.
Harrell was not in the courtroom Tuesday, and he will likely not appear in court until his trial begins.
Thompson listened to the judge list charges against Harrell for three cases: first-degree murder, child molestation and owning child pornography. "It's never going to make sense to me or anyone else because we don't think like monsters do," Thompson said of herdaughter's killing. Harrell's next pretrial hearing was passed until March 1, and Thompson vows she'll show up then.
"I'll be at every one of his trials. He will have nothing but my beautiful face to look at for the rest of the time that he's in the Clay County court system," Thompson said. "Because it's my daughter, and she'll never be left alone again."
Thompson said she doesn't understand why the judge doesn't require Harrell to show up in court. Harrell has waived his right to appear in any more pretrial proceedings.

"It frustrated me that I have to wait 40 minutes and then hear five seconds of, 'He doesn't have to show up,'" Thompson said. "If I got in trouble and I had to come to court, I'd have to be standing up there. I believe others in similar circumstances would have to make a court appearance. He did something wrong, and he should stand up there like a man and face it like a man."
Harrell is awaiting trial on 58 charges, including sexual assault and murder. He has pleaded not guilty. Harrell has not appeared in court since April.
Prosecutors said they will seek the death penalty if Harrell is convicted, which is likely the reason for the drawn-out pretrial process.
Previous Stories:

•October 25, 2010: Somer's Family Upset By Jail Calls
•October 23, 2010: Harrell's Jail Visit Info, Calls Released
•October 19, 2010: Somer's Mom Talks Of Loss, Justice
•October 19, 2010: 1 Year Ago: Somer Thompson Disappears
•September 28, 2010: Pretrial Hearing Held In Harrell Murder Case
•August 6, 2010: No More Showings, Fast Trial For Harrell
•August 3, 2010: Somer's Mom At Hearing; Harrell Absent
•June 24, 2010: Jarred Harrell Absent From Pretrial Hearing
•May 20, 2010: Prosecutors To Seek Death For Harrell
•May 19, 2010: Somer Foundation Pushes For New Bill
•May 18, 2010: Run To Benefit Somer Thompson Foundation
•April 28, 2010: Somer's Mom Sees Jarred Harrell In Court
•April 26, 2010: Oak Tree Memorializes Somer Thompson
•April 20, 2010: Picture Of Somer Appears In Online Ad
•April 16, 2010: Documents: Jarred Harrell Home When Somer Disappeared
•April 8, 2010: Harrell Pleads Not Guilty To Murder
•April 1, 2010: Harrell Indicted In Somer's Killing
•March 29, 2010: Somer's Mom: Charges Bring Some Relief
•March 28, 2010: Thousands Pack Landing For 'Somer Jam'
•March 27, 2010: Parents Relieved After Harrell Charged
•March 26, 2010: Somer's Mom To Harrell: 'We Got You'
•March 26, 2010: Arrest In Somer's Killing Draws Applause
•March 26, 2010: Harrell Charged With Murder Of Somer Thompson
•March 10, 2010: Harrell Pleads Not Guilty On 55 Charges
•January 4, 2010: About 4,500 Tips Received In Somer Case
•December 15, 2009: Massive Search Continues For 7-Year-Old
•November 22, 2009: 'Ride For Somer' Raises Money For Family
•November 18, 2009: Sheriff: Somer's Case Not Cold
•November 15, 2009: Music Festival Held In Honor Of Somer
•November 13, 2009: Tips Still Pouring In For Somer's Case
•November 13, 2009: Rock Band Performs For Somer Thompson
•November 12, 2009: Diena: 'I Feel Like Somer's Pushing Me'
•November 12, 2009: Somer's Mom Target Of Hate Mail, Calls
•November 9, 2009: Somer's Case Gets National Exposure
•November 9, 2009: Molly Hatchet To Headline Somer Benefit
•November 2, 2009: Reward In Somer's Slaying Up To $45K
•October 31, 2009: Argyle Salon Sells Purple Hair Extensions For Somer
•October 30, 2009: National Child Safety Group Offers Advice
•October 29, 2009: Community On Edge For Halloween
•October 28, 2009: Sheriff Needs Help Finding Somer's Killer
•October 27, 2009: Thousands Say Goodbye To Somer
•October 27, 2009: Sheriff: Somer's Killer Is 'Unnerved'
•October 26, 2009: Somer's Family, Town Saying Goodbye
•October 26, 2009: Community Rallies Amid Search For Answers
•October 25, 2009: Mother Praises Efforts To Find Killer
•October 24, 2009: Mom: 'If You've Seen Anything, Just Tell'
•October 23, 2009: Mom To Girl's Killer: 'We'll Get You'
•October 22, 2009: House Searched Where Somer Last Seen
•October 22, 2009: 160 Sex Offenders Live Near Somer's Home
•October 21, 2009: Child's Body Found In SE Georgia Landfill
•October 21, 2009: Mom Pleads For Somer's Safe Return
•October 20, 2009: Community Searches For Missing Girl
•October 20, 2009: Massive Search Continues For 7-Year-Old
•October 20, 2009: Candlelight Vigil Held For Somer
•October 19, 2009: Search Continues For Missing Girl

http://www.news4jax.com/news/26451013/detail.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am

Pace of prosecution frustrates slain child's mother
January 12, 2011

By Stephen Kindland

Staff writer

GREEN COVE SPRINGS – A brief exchange between an accused child killer’s attorney and Circuit Judge John H. Skinner didn’t go over well with the victim’s mother, who has vowed to "stay in the face" of the man she believes sexually assaulted her daughter nearly 15 months ago.

Diena Thompson waited in a Clay County court room for 45 minutes on Tuesday, Jan. 11, only to hear Skinner grant another delay in the case against 25-year-old Jarred Harrell, who has pleaded not guilty in the October 2009 kidnapping, rape and murder of 7-year-old Somer Thompson of Orange Park.

"Forty-five minutes of waiting to hear five seconds of that?" Thompson said after Skinner scheduled Harrell’s next hearing for March 1. "Yes, I’m angry. If you have evidence, I don’t understand why it takes so long [to set a trial date]."

Several hearings – all of them brief -- have been held since Harrell was charged with murder last February. His arrest ended a four-month investigation that began on Oct. 19, 2009, when Somer went missing on her way home from Grove Park Elementary School.

The child’s body was discovered in a South Georgia landfill two days later, and police later charged Harrell with the crime after arresting him in Meridian, Miss., on 29 counts of possession of child pornography.

Investigators say they have sufficient evidence, including DNA samples and statements made by Harrell after his arrest, to prove that Harrell is guilty.

Harrell was 24 years old at the time of his arrest. He has been held in an isolated cell at the Clay County Jail ever since, and his attorneys have announced that he won’t be making any court appearances until his trial begins.

That decision has only added fuel to a fire that burns in the heart of the slain child’s mother.

"He absolutely should have to show up [at hearings]," Thompson said. "I’m forever going to be without something I’m supposed to have -- my daughter."

She said that she and her surviving children – including Somer’s twin brother -- had a difficult time making it through the holiday season, but they continue to draw strength from friends and members of the community.

Among them is Lake Asbury resident Bobby Ingram, who has used his influence as lead guitarist of the Southern rock band Molly Hatchet to raise money for the Thompson family. Ingram was sitting near Thompson during Tuesday’s hearing, and was quick to explain his presence.

"I want to see justice served," he said. "I came here to support the cause."

Ingram also said he doesn’t mind waiting out the seemingly endless string of court delays.

"It just means [prosecutors are] taking their time, dotting their I’s and crossing their T’s," he said. "This gives [the defense] no out whatsoever."

http://www.claytoday.biz/content/2975_1.php

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:41 am

GMJ Exclusive: Gag Order Issued In Somer Thompson Murder Case

GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Fla. -- A judge has issued a gag order on Jarred Harrell's case. He's the man accused of killing Somer Thompson in Clay County in 2009.

After a couple denials, the protective order was granted on Dec. 14 and applies to just about everyone involved in the case, including prosecutors, defense lawyers, investigators and other people who may testify at trial.

In the order, Judge William Wilkes wrote, "Pretrial comments ... have been substantially adverse or hostile to the defendant."

The judge cited intense local, national and international media coverage of the case as one reason for the order.

"To protect ... the defendant's right to a fair and impartial trial in the county where the crimes were committed ... a protective order is necessary," the judge wrote.

Normally, evidence in a criminal trial becomes public record once it's turned over to defense lawyers. But in this case, that won't happen.

The order also bars the Clay County Sheriff's Office from releasing any more jail calls between Harrell and people who visit him. They previously released some of those conversations, including one that had Harrell telling his mom he wanted some pizza.

Attorney Sean Cronin is not involved in the Harrell case, but talked about his experience with gag orders.

"I am generally against gag orders because they prevent the public from knowing exactly what's going on and being fully informed. But I do believe in some cases such as this one, it's probably appropriate to make sure justice is best served," Cronin said.

Just getting a copy of the gag order took about 30 minutes at Clay County's courthouse. It had to be approved at several levels.

The protective order states the one thing that can be released is a docket listing court dates and routine file information. It is very generic information, lacking any details.

The clerk's office intially declined to release that document, but eventually did two days later after the approval of the judge, defense attorneys and prosecutors.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=190722&catid=3

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Documents Sealed In Somer Thompson Case
Jarred Harrell's Next Hearing In Somer Thompson's Death Set For March
POSTED: Wednesday, February 9, 2011
http://www.news4jax.com/news/26805558/detail.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Somer's foundation helps families of crime victims in Texas
http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/actionlocal/story/Somers-foundation-helps-families-of-crime-victims/3TQoCF5tZkqZWbnGF0fO9g.cspx?rss=1

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.   

Back to top Go down

Somer Thompson (7) R.I.P.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C) :: Your first category :: ~Missing Children~ (1-12) :: ~Angel Children~-
Jump to: