~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C)

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:32 am

Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Mrqrdh
Emma Leigh Barker, 18 months - Lancaster, California
Missing: 03/19/2009 - Located Deceased: 03/20/2009
Accused: Stacy Marie Barker, 24
Relationship to Victim: Biological mother

Last edited by Melinda on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:56 am

Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. 2z3ueqq
Found Body of Toddler Emma Leigh Barker
Autopsy to Identify Girl
by Tina Kells
March 20, 2009

A sad end to the reported abduction on little Emma Leigh Barker today as Los Angeles police announced today that they had discovered a body that they believed is the missing toddler. An autopsy will be conducted to identify the girl and reveal the cause of death.

``Emma Leigh Barker -- yes, her body will be autopsied later today,'' Lt. Kelly Yagerlener of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner said early this morning.
Source: mydesert.com
Emma Leigh Barker was reported missing, Wednesday, after her mother, Stacey Barker, 20, claimed she was knocked unconscious while putting Emma in a car seat. When Stacey Barker regained consciousness her baby daughter was gone.

Emma Leigh Barker had been abducted at a Lancaster park, and detectives spent most of Wednesday night looking for the girl. But detectives found several inconsistencies in the mother's story and received information that suggested Emma was in Mission Hills and was dead.

The search ended Thursday when police discovered the toddler's body dumped by the side of a road in Sylmar, near the Golden State Freeway.

Authorities said it appeared the girl's 25-pound body had been dumped sometime over the previous 24 hours and showed no visible signs of trauma.

Barker initially told detectives she was at Lancaster City Park on Wednesday sometime after 5 p.m. and was placing her daughter in a car seat when she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head on the steering wheel.

Source: latimesblogs.latimes.com

The LA coroner will be conducting an autopsy to declare an official cause of death and identify the body with medical records. LA police are confident that the body is that of Emma Barker. LA police have not arrested Stacey Barker and investigators have not declared her to be a "person of interest" despite obvious holes in her abduction story.

The story that Barker allegedly told detectives about being struck in the back of the head and getting knocked unconscious was different from the version of events she gave to deputies from the Palmdale station who initially responded to her location.

``She said she remembered putting her daughter in the car and then somehow hitting her head on the steering wheel and blacking out,'' said Lt. Vince Carter of the Palmdale station. ``The next thing she was aware of is waking up at the park-n-ride with injuries and her daughter missing.''

Source: mydesert.com

Los Angeles police went into high alert when the Emma Leigh Barker abduction was first reported at 11pm March 18, 2009 in hopes of finding the toddler alive. The report was made by the Stacey Barker's brother and police immediately arrived at the Park n Ride where the abduction occurred.

There are no cameras at the Park n Ride and it is unclear why Barker called her brother before notifying police. Stacey Barker did present with head injuries and was taken to hospital for treatment, something that slowed down the search for Emma.

Stacey Barker has since recanted her story after police pressed her about the inconsistencies. Barker maintains her innocence in the killing of her daughter and has not been arrested for filing a false police report or any other offense. The police investigation continues.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/found-body-toddler-emma-leigh-barker-autopsy-identify-girl

Last edited by Melinda on Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:58 am

Mother of dead toddler recants story, says she panicked
March 20, 2009
The mother of an 18-month-old girl found dead near a San Fernando Valley freeway has recanted her story about the toddler being abducted and now says she panicked after her daughter died in an accident, and she took the girl's body to the freeway and left her there, a sheriff's official said today.

Stacy Barker initially told detectives that Emma Leigh Barker had been abducted at a Lancaster park, and detectives spent most of Wednesday night looking for the girl. But detectives found several inconsistencies in the mother's story and received information that suggested Emma was in Mission Hills and was dead.

The search ended Thursday when police discovered the toddler's body dumped by the side of a road in Sylmar, near the Golden State Freeway.

Authorities said it appeared the girl's 25-pound body had been dumped sometime over the previous 24 hours and showed no visible signs of trauma.

Barker initially told detectives she was at Lancaster City Park on Wednesday sometime after 5 p.m. and was placing her daughter in a car seat when she was knocked unconscious after hitting her head on the steering wheel.

She told detectives she awoke about 10:30 p.m., slumped over in the seat of her car at a Palmdale park-and-ride and discovered Emma was missing. The mother's brother called authorities, and deputies were dispatched to the Avenue S Park-n-Ride.

Deputies found the mother semiconscious and partly undressed with visible contusions on her head, officials said.

Investigators and the county coroner's office must now determine how the girl died. The mother has not been arrested.

-- Richard Winton and Ann M. Simmons

Photo: Toddler Emma Leigh Barker, whose body was found next to a San Fernando Valley freeway.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/03/toddler-death.html
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:59 am

http://avpress.com/n/28/0428_s1.hts

LANCASTER - A Lancaster mother suspected of smothering her toddler daughter, then dumping the body in Sylmar, made her first court appearance, looking small and slight in the custody of a female bailiff who towered over her.

Stacey Barker, 24, appeared briefly before Judge Steven Ogden in a courtroom holding cell behind large glass windows and asked through a public defender that her arraignment be postponed for two weeks while she finds a defense attorney or one is assigned to the case. Ogden granted the request and ordered Barker back on May 11.

The body of Emma Leigh Barker was found March 19 in tall grass at an intersection off Interstate 5 in Sylmar, after a massive search launched the previous night when Stacey Barker's brother called authorities to report that his sister was injured at a park-and-ride lot on Avenue S and her daughter was missing.

Barker's Antelope Valley court appearance came after the District Attorney's office filed charges of murder, assault on a child causing death and child abuse against her Monday. The complaint alleges "that the defendant willfully caused and permitted the child to be injured and harmed and that injury resulted in death."

Coroner's officials have not yet issued a final report on how the girl died but sheriff's detectives suspect she was suffocated, a Sheriff's Department spokesman said Monday.

"Detectives believe that … based on interviews and the condition of the victim that she likely suffocated," Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore said.

The maximum penalty Barker faces is 25 years to life in prison, Deputy District Attorney Kelly Cromer said.

"This case is a tragedy," Cromer said. "A beautiful 18-month-old girl is dead."

Friends and family were also in the courtroom Monday, sitting together in the audience. They declined to comment following Barker's appearance.

Barker is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Stacey Barker first told authorities she had been assaulted as she put her daughter into her car seat at Lancaster City Park. Deputies said Barker told them she was knocked unconscious, and when she woke up six hours later in the Palmdale park-and-ride lot the toddler was gone.

Deputies said when they found Barker she was partially clad and suffering from a head injury.

Early in the investigation, deputies, assisted by bloodhounds, went from car to car at the park-and-ride lot in hopes of finding the toddler. Several pieces of clothing were found behind a bush and were later identified as the woman's, authorities said.

Barker eventually recanted her story, though.

Late that morning she admitted her daughter had not been abducted and instead died as the result of an accident. She told authorities she panicked and dumped her daughter's body out of fear she would be blamed. She then directed investigators to where she left the child's body, officials said.

Authorities never disclosed what sort of accident Barker said killed her daughter.

"In statements she gave to police there were different versions of what occurred," Cromer said.

A funeral for Emma on March 24 drew hundreds of family and friends to Palmdale's Desert Lawn Memorial Park. During the service, Barker sat between parents Susan and Gary Barker, holding their hands.
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 am

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Emma Leigh Barker's body was found in Sylmar. Authorities think it is likely she was suffocated.Mother charged in killing of 18-month-old daughter
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department
Emma Leigh Barker's body was found in Sylmar. Authorities think it is likely she was suffocated.
Stacy Barker told authorities she was knocked out and her daughter abducted from a park in Lancaster. The girl had been suffocated hours before Barker contacted authorities, detectives say.
By Richard Winton
April 28, 2009
An Antelope Valley mother who alleged that an attacker knocked her out and abducted her 18-month-old daughter is believed to have suffocated the girl hours earlier and dumped her body in Sylmar, detectives said Monday.

Stacey Barker, 24, was charged with one count each of murder, assault on a child causing death, and child abuse in the death of Emma Leigh Barker, authorities said.

"At this point, as best as we can determine, the infant died through suffocation at the hands of the mother," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Pat Nelson. "After her third or fourth version of events, we knew she wasn't telling the truth, and we were able to determine what happened. At this point, we believe she acted alone."

Detectives arrested Barker last Thursday because of "indications she might flee or disappear," Nelson said. Barker had been staying with relatives since the March 18 disappearance of her daughter and discovery of the child's body near Roxford Street and El Dorado Avenue in deep brush along a fence.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said the Los Angeles County coroner's office has yet to determine the cause of death, but based on the information available at this point it is likely the girl suffocated.

Detectives believe that the girl was already dead four or five hours before Stacey Barker contacted authorities to report the child missing and tell of her mysterious abduction.

"Our belief is the child died in the early evening of March 18," Nelson said.

Barker initially told detectives that she was at a Lancaster park near the 14 Freeway and had just placed Emma in her car seat when she was struck from behind by an unknown assailant. She told them that she awoke about 10:30 p.m. five hours later and several miles away at a Palmdale park-and-ride lot, and that her daughter was missing.

But the next day, Barker recanted the tale of assault and abduction that had launched a massive manhunt, Nelson said. She eventually helped sheriff's detectives find her daughter's body and told them she had died in an accident. Detectives then discovered the toddler's body in Sylmar near Interstate 5.

Prosecutors allege that Barker willfully caused and permitted her daughter to be harmed and that the injury resulted in death. Barker, of Quartz Hill, was arrested last week at her grandparents' home in Lancaster.

Barker's arraignment hearing was postponed Monday until May 11. She remains in custody in lieu of $1-million bail.
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 8:00 am

LANCASTER - A Lancaster mother suspected of smothering her toddler daughter nearly two months ago pleaded not guilty Monday to murder and other charges in an Antelope Valley courtroom.

Stacey Marie Barker, 24, also faces one count each of assault on a child causing death and child abuse.

The charges stem from a March 18 incident involving the death of Barker's 18-month-old daughter, Emma Leigh Barker. The child's mother initially told authorities she was assaulted as she put her daughter into her car seat at Lancaster City Park.

Barker told deputies she woke up six hours later in a Palmdale park-and-ride lot with her toddler missing, but she later changed her story, admitting her daughter was not abducted and had died as the result of an accident. Barker told investigators she dumped her daughter's body out of fear she would be blamed for the death. She then directed them to where she left the child's body in Sylmar, officials said.

Unlike her first court appearance on April 27 when she wore casual clothing, Barker appeared in a blue-and-yellow Los Angeles County Jail uniform Monday with her hair braided tightly on the top.

Barker sat in a holding cell separated from the room and spoke only a few times, answering Judge Steven Ogden's yes-or-no questions. Barker's attorney entered her plea but refused to comment on the case.

Barker will be back in court June 15 to set a date for her preliminary hearing, which determines whether there is enough evidence for her to stand trial. She remains jailed in lieu of $1 million bail at Century Regional Detention Facility in Lynwood.

Authorities still haven't released details about the accident that Barker told them killed the toddler.

Barker allegedly inflicted wounds to her own head, partially undressed herself and faked semi-consciousness in an attempt to mislead deputies, setting off a search that went from car to car with assistance from bloodhounds at the park-and-ride lot. Several pieces of Barker's clothing were found behind a bush, authorities said.

Under questioning, she admitted the story was fictional and directed authorities to where the toddler's body was found in the 13000 block of El Dorado Avenue in Sylmar.

Barker attended the March 24 funeral for her daughter, which drew hundreds of family and friends to Joshua Memorial Park and Mortuary.

Stacey Barker was arrested April 23.

http://avpress.com/n/12/0512_s3.hts
Back to top Go down
starlight
Team Caylee
Team Caylee
starlight

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 2:00 pm

:candle:
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Ava

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 1:21 pm

:rip:
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Ava

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Stacey Barker Wants To Make A Deal

Zackey continued, " It's my understanding the parties are having an ongoing discussion regarding this case....we'll see if those discussions are fruitful on December 17th" adding, "Kelly will make a motion......you will make a motion, right?" Cromer agreed. If an agreement can't be reached and this goes to trial, January 7 will be a pre-trial hearing and Zackey said it will start 0 of 59.

We've also heard, but can't confirm, that Stacy Barker is willing to plead guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter and one of the 273 (we assume that is the felony child abuse charge 273a) in exchange for a twenty year sentence with 2 strikes and time served (subtract 20 months and don't forget good-time) . I only bring up the unconfirmed deal (consider it scuttlebutt) as a jumping off point to start a discussion....Do you think the state should negotiate or take this to trial? What type of deal do you think the state could make that would be justice in this case?

http://my.nowpublic.com/culture/stac...comment-565585
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.   Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Emma Leigh Barker (18 mo.) R.I.P.
Page 1 of 1