View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:20 pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/6426847/

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — The father and aunt of a missing 5-year-old Fayetteville girl made a heartfelt plea for her return Monday, while authorities resumed searching for her in a densely vegetated area near the Lee-Harnett county line.

WATCH VIDEO
CBS exclusive: Father of missing girl talks
Shaniya Nicole Davis was first reported missing from her 1116-A Sleepy Hollow Drive home by her mother early last Tuesday. On Friday, Mario Andrette McNeill, 29, was charged with kidnapping, and late Saturday, her mother, Antoinette Nicole Davis, 25, was arrested on accusations that she prostituted her daughter.

"I just ask that at this time, please just let her go," Shaniya's aunt, Carey Lockhart Davis, pleaded on CBS' "Early Show" Monday. "She doesn't deserve this. Have a kind heart."

"Drop her off at WalMart, anywhere, I don’t care – just so somebody can find her and bring her back to the people that love her," her father, Bradley Lockhart, said.

Acting on a tip, Fayetteville police and the Harnett and Lee County sheriff's offices are searching around N.C. Highway 87 and Walker Road.

The site is about 6 miles from the last confirmed sighting of Shaniya. She was seen on security video at the Comfort Suites hotel in Sanford, along with a man who police believe is McNeill.

Also on Monday, Davis will appear in court. Police said that arrest documents say that she "knowingly provide(d) Shaniya Davis with the intent that she be held in sexual servitude" and she "permit(ted) an act of prostitution."

Lockhart said hearing of those developments in the case was devastating.

"Just everything inside you falls out, you just lose all train of thought. And you just hope for the best," he said.

Lockhart and Lockhart-Davis, who live out of state, cared for the girl until last month, when she went to live with her mother. Davis had worked to get her life together and had been working for at least six months and gotten a place of her own, Lockhart said.

"She had asked if she could be a mother, and I felt she was sincere in asking, and I figured to give her a chance," he said.

Lockhart-Davis, who is not related to the girl's mother, recalled happy times with Shaniya, when the girl would come home from school showing off marks for good behavior.

"She's a precious, little angel, full of joy," Lockart said. "A little reserved when you first meet her, but once she gets to know you, she just runs around, plays and won't leave you alone.

"She's just a happy, little angel," he continued.

Shaniya is described as 3 feet tall and 40 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a blue T-shirt with pink underwear. She is thin and has a scar on her foot.

Anyone with information on Shaniya's whereabouts is asked to call the Fayetteville Police Department at 910-433-1856 or Crime Stoppers at 910-483-8477.

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:21 pm

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/11/16/952562
Search for 5-year-old Shaniya Davis turns up body
A staff report

SANFORD - A body believed to be 5-year-old Shaniya Davis was found this afternoon on Walker Road off N.C. 87 in Lee County, nearly a week after she was last seen at a Sanford hotel.

There is no information immediately available on the cause of her death.

One of the volunteer searchers, Annette Powers, said she was told that Shaniya was found in woods near a deer carcass.

Police had been searching for the Fayetteville girl since Tuesday morning, when her mother reported her missing from their home in the Sleepy Hollow Mobile Home Park off Murchison Road.

Her mother, Antoinette N. Davis, is accused of human trafficking, felony child abuse involving prostitution, filing a false police report and interfering with the investigation.

Another man, Mario Andrette McNeill, is charged with first-degree kidnapping. McNeill is seen on the hotel surveillance video with Shaniya early Tuesday, shortly before she was reported missing.

The child's body was found about seven miles south of Sanford.

Davis appeared before a judge this afternoon and asked for a court-appointed lawyer. The judge told her she faced 40 years in prison on the charges. Her bail remains at $51,000.

No one has been charged as of 3 p.m. today with Shaniya's death.

Early in the investigation, police focused on and arrested a man described as the boyfriend of Shaniya's mother. He was released after the video surfaced showing McNeill with Shaniya at the Comfort Suites hotel. Neither McNeill nor Davis helped try to find the child, police have said.

McNeill, 29, was "extremely uncooperative," a spokesman said.

Davis worked as a dietary aide at the Carolina Inn at Village Green, preparing meals for residents at the Fayetteville assisted living community, according to owner Franklin Clark. She was employed by CES Inc., a South Carolina company that provides certain workers for Carolina Inn, Clark said.

Davis had worked part-time for Village Green since August, according to a CES executive. CES had done a state background check on Davis before she was employed by the company, the executive said, and her record was clean.

Davis' aunt, Yvonne Mitchell, said she hopes whoever killed Shaniya will be punished.

"The family is taking it hard," Mitchell said after Davis' court appearance. "They are angry. They are upset. They don't understand.

"Everybody is pretty shooken up," Mitchell said.

Asked by a reporter whether Mitchell believes Davis is innocent, she said: "She's my niece, and I love her. I have her back, and the family has her back."

Ground search
The search for Shaniya along N.C. 87 intensified Sunday, when police combed through a heavily vegetated areas off Walker Road near N.C. 87, across the highway from Carolina Trace. They said they received reliable information that Shaniya was there.

A daylong search was fruitless and was suspended at dusk.

This morning, the search recommenced and police said they were searching for a body.

About 250 people joined the search, including police and sheriff's deputies from Fayetteville, Sanford and Lee County, fire department personnel and civilians who live in the area and who know the woods. Police used a helicopter, dogs and officers on horseback.

Davis reported her daughter missing at 6:53 a.m. Tuesday, telling police she had last seen Shaniya at 5:30 that morning.

According to the surveillance tape, Shaniya was with McNeill at the Comfort Suites hotel on Bragg Street in Sanford at 6:11 a.m. Chance said today that police know that McNeill left the hotel with Shaniya at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. She said police don't know what condition Shaniya was in at that time.

McNeill is a felon who since 2001 has been convicted of multiple charges of assault inflicting serious bodily injury and a laundry list of drug charges, including selling and manufacturing controlled substances, according to the N.C. Department of Correction Web site.

Shaniya had been living with her mother at the Sleepy Hollow Mobile Home Park for about three weeks.

Before that, she had been living with her father, Bradley Lockhart of Fayetteville. Lockhart has said he had reservations about letting Shaniya go to live with her mother but allowed it because Antoinette Davis had shown responsibility in her life and interest in the child.

"She had asked if she could be a mother, and I felt that she was sincere in asking and I figured to give her a chance," he said on "The Early Show" on CBS this morning.

Holly Perry's family lives two houses from the Lockhart residence, in northern Cumberland County. She said her husband talked to their three young children about Shaniya's disappearance on Sunday afternoon.

"We felt it was important, but we tried to keep it as G-rated as possible," she said.

Perry said the shocking case has made her a more cautious parent.

"I told my husband there's no way these kids are playing outside unattended," she said.

Shaniya was enrolled in kindergarten at Morganton Road Elementary School in September, said Charlotte McLaurin, the principal. She was withdrawn in October, but McLaurin did not know why. McLaurin has scheduled a meeting for Tuesday to talk to her staff about Shaniya's death. Grief counselors will be available to talk to students.

"We certainly have felt the impact of this," McLaurin said.

Lockhart was never married to Davis and described their relationship as a "one-night stand." He told The Associated Press they had never argued about him raising Shaniya.

Since Shaniya's disappearance, Lockhart has made appeals on TV for her return. On "The Early Show" this morning, he described Shaniya as "a precious little angel, full of joy" and said that when he heard about the charges filed against Shaniya's mother, his reaction was "just everything inside of you falls out."

He said he had maintained hope.

"I've been feeling hopeful every day that someone out there would do the right thing and take my daughter somewhere, to a hospital, police station, just anywhere safe," Lockhart said on the show.

Chance said Lockhart had been "a huge help" to police in the search for Shaniya. He identified Shaniya on the surveillance tape from the Comfort Suites hotel.

Leona Cromartie, Antoinette Davis' aunt, said Sunday she believes the accusations against her niece are false and that McNeill is talking to police in an effort to get a plea bargain in court.

Cromartie said she once met McNeill, whom she called "Mano," and doesn't know the relationship between him and Antoinette Davis.

"This is shocking to me," she said. "It just don't make any sense to me. Antoinette would not hurt her kid. That girl loves her daughter."

Cromartie said Davis isn't an unfit mother. She said her niece had worked double shifts for more than a year.

She said Davis also has a son and is pregnant again.

Davis had been living at a house on Wall Street, according to Cromartie, and then lived in different motels until moving in her with her sister, Barbara Davis, at the Sleepy Hollow Mobile Home Park.

Clarence Coe, the man who was first arrested in Shaniya's disappearance and then released, is Davis' boyfriend, Cromartie said.

"I still say I can't believe it," Cromartie said of the allegations against Antoinette Davis. "But if it does come up like that (Davis is involved), she needs to pay the price."

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call (910) 433-1585.

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Father, Aunt plead for safe return.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/6431724/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Mother of Missing chid appears in court today.
http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/6431724/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:22 pm

http://www.examiner.com/x-17800-Raleigh-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m11d16-Shaniya-Davis-Search--New-Fayetteville-police-advisory-have-you-seen-this-man-or-truck

Shaniya Davis Search & Update: Shaniya Davis found
November 16, 2009

Monday Afternoon:

Shaniya Davis found in the woods near Sanford, seven miles from the hotel where she was spotted with Mario McNeill. For further information visit Shaniya Davis found, murder charges may surface. However, below led up to this moment.

Tuesday morning, the search begins.

Shaniya Davis is 5-years-old, 3 feet tall, 40 pounds, brown hair, brown eyes, thin with a scar on her foot. She was last seen wearing a blue t-shirt and pink underwear last Tuesday.

Over the Weekend:

"Reliable information" has been offered that led authorities south of Sanford to Walker Road near N.C. 87. What they are searching for is Shaniya's body since she was said to have been "dumped" at that location. This location in Lee County is used by hunters. This is a very thick leafy area with thick patches of woods that align the area.

An advisory through the State Highway Patrol began to surface. The advisory targeted a 60-year-old man driving a blue Toyota. No other details followed other than he may be found near Raeford Road and Cliffdale Road.

It has not been released whether the advisory for the unidentified 60-year-old man has been called off.

http://www.examiner.com/x-17800-Rale...s-man-or-truck

Thursday thru Sunday:

Mario Andrette McNeill, 29, has not been willing with all the information. However, has supplied the police with some. Mario McNeill has been arrested on first-degree kidnapping charges, he admitted to abducting Shaniya Davis. However, the mother of Shaniya Davis, Antoinette Nicole Davis, told police officers that she placed her daughter on a couch at 5:30 a.m. but when she checked on her, Shaniya was gone. Antoinette Davis was arrested days later for human trafficking, felony child abuse involving prostitution, filing a false police report amongst interfering with a police investigation. Both face bail set for $51,000.

Clarence Coe was charged one day, released the next. His name has been cleared of any involvement.

Monday:

As approximately 250 people search along roadside, many remain on the look out for Shaniya in case she is not found within that Lee County location. However, you can help the search if you are within the vicinity. Volunteer contact number (910) 433-1820 has gotten so many calls that the authorities posted a Shaniya search volunteer e-mail address for potential volunteers. Simply e-mail your name and contact information to Shaniyavolunteer@ci.fay.nc.us.

North Carolina is pulling together in hopes that the next headline would read Shaniya Davis Found.

An advisory through the State Highway Patrol began to surface. The advisory targeted a 60-year-old man driving a blue Toyota. No other details followed other than he may be found near Raeford Road and Cliffdale Road.

The advisory surrounds information of a 60-year-old man, blue Toyota and many questions to fill as this man may have been with Shaniya Davis after her disappearance.

Monday Afternoon:

It has not been released whether the advisory for the unidentified 60-year-old man has been called off.

If you still have any information surrounding the Shaniya Davis case please contact the Fayetteville police department (910) 433-1856 or Crime Stoppers.

UPDATE: At 4:30 p.m. Monday the Fayetteville police department released information that the body will be moved to a location where cause of death can be determined. It was not a tip that led police to the wooded area, but from a "reliable" source. The body found has not yet been officially identified as Shaniya Davis. Also, more information should come unfold within the next couple of days.

Last edited by Melinda on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Police await positive ID on girl's body found in North Carolina
By Gabriel Falcon, CNN
November 16, 2009
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/16/north.carolina.missing.girl/index.html

Shaniya Davis, 5, was reported missing last week. Authorities have found a body they believe is hers.

(CNN) -- A body believed to be that of a missing 5-year-old girl has been found in North Carolina, police said Monday.
Theresa Chance, public information officer of the Fayetteville Police Department, confirmed to CNN the girl's body was found. In a separate e-mail to CNN, Fayetteville police said the body found was that of the missing girl.
Later Monday, Chance told a news conference that police were still awaiting positive identification of the body, which had yet to be exhumed. The body would then be sent to the medical examiner's office to determine a cause of death, Chance said.
About 200 people had been searching for the body of Shaniya Davis after "reliable information" indicated that she may be dead, according to Fayetteville police.
The body was located by searchers shortly after 1 p.m., Chance told reporters. People at the scene, including searchers and police officers, were "torn up," she said.
The search focused on land near a roadway because "reliable information received that the body of Shaniya Davis may have been dumped there," a police statement said.
Investigators have been searching for Shaniya for several days.
Video: Child's body found
RELATED TOPICS
Missing Children
North Carolina
Kidnapping
Police have charged her mother, Antoinette Nicole Davis, with trafficking and other offenses, authorities said. Davis was "prostituting her child," said Chance.
The girl's half sister, Cheyenne Lockhart, told HLN's "Nancy Grace" that she found it difficult to believe Davis had treated her daughter so poorly.
"She seemed like the sweetest woman. She didn't come from much, but ... she had the sweetest voice, she had the sweetest personality, and especially toward me. I would never think that she would do anything like that," said Lockhart, who shared a father with Shaniya.
Lockhart had similar sentiments about the little girl.
"She's so loving and caring, she's always happy and giggling," she said. "Like you would never think anybody would do that to her. She's just the sweetest little girl."
Other charges against Davis include felony child abuse and prostitution, as well as filing a false police report, according to the police department.
The girl's mother told police that the girl vanished from their mobile home in Fayetteville. However, hotel surveillance video taken around the same time Shaniya was reported missing shows her with a man identified as Mario Andrette McNeill. He has been charged with first degree kidnapping.
Police said they dropped kidnapping charges against another man who was arrested in the case Thursday.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:25 pm

:candle:

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:25 pm

Slideshow posted in EYEWITNESS NEWS | Monday, November 16, 2009

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/gallery?...110067&photo=1

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Credit for pictures :crankycrankerson @ :thanku:

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Fayetteville mother's arrest sheds light on human trafficking problem
Human Trafficking
Posted: Nov. 16 10:47 p.m.

Fayetteville, N.C. — North Carolina is a prime destination for human trafficking due to its many highways and interstates, according Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange.

"It’s out there. It’s out there (and it's) scary,” Kinnaird said.

Kinnaird has sponsored anti-trafficking legislation before the General Assembly. She said the weekend arrest of a Fayetteville mother on human trafficking and felony child abuse charges shows that the trafficking trade is more prevalent than most people realize.

“I think people just have a view of what our American life is, and it doesn't encompass really evil criminal acts like this,” she said.

According to Fayetteville police, Antoinette Nicole Davis, 25, offered daughter Shaniya for prostitution. The 5-year-old's body was found dead early Monday afternoon southeast of Sanford, ending a weeklong search, police said.

Kinnaird said if Shaniya was involved in a sex trafficking plot, she is among other victims in the state.

“Many of them are Asian women and children, many of them are Hispanic women and children. But as we saw to our horror (possibly with Shaniya), they are now homegrown, and may have been all along,” she said.

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, roughly 17,500 people are trafficked in the United States annually. Victims are forced into sex and slave labor.

Earlier this year, a Durham couple pleaded not guilty in an Egyptian court to charges that they tried to buy babies and forge birth certificates. In 2007, investigators busted Durham and Raleigh brothels where they suspected women were kept as sex slaves. Detectives also raided a club that year with alleged ties to immigrant traffickers.

Paralegal Rachel Braver, with the statewide Task Force (RIPPLE) to address Human Trafficking, said the state's large immigrant population also plays a part in attracting human traffickers. She said it is difficult to know just how many victims are out there.

“Numbers are hard to come by because it's a very hidden crime,” she said.

State lawmakers approved a bill in 2007 making human trafficking a felony offense and offering state assistance to victims.

Polaris Project, one of the largest anti-trafficking organizations in the U.S., ranks the state among the top 10 for laws governing human trafficking.

* Reporter: Gerald Owens
* Photographer: Greg Clark

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6434786/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Shaniya's father talks to crowd at vigil

An estimated 500 people gathered on Murchison Road in Fayetteville on Nov. 16, 2009, to remember 5-year-old Shaniya Davis, whose body was believed to have been found earlier in the day. She had been missing for almost a week.

Today - 8:38pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/6434737/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Human Trafficking: A Global & Local Problem

As tragic and troubling as the Shaniya Davis case is, it’s perhaps just as troubling to know that it’s not an isolated incident.

Investigators say human trafficking is the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world.

It’s second only to the drug trade overall.

There’s a good chance you’ve encountered it without ever knowing it.

Little Shaniya Davis’ death seems incomprehensible, but not to Chief John Guard at the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office.

“It’s just wrong on so, so many levels,“ said Chief John Guard with the Pitt County Sheriff’s Office.

Guard supervises human trafficking investigations for all of Eastern North Carolina.

The crime takes many forms: foreigners smuggled into this country for an extremely high price and forced to work off a debt that’s impossible to repay, forced labor on farms and women held captive for sex.

Guard says even high school or college students can be enticed by a false promise of a modeling career and wind up trapped in prostitution.

It’s all about the bottom line for the people with the power.

“There is a lot of money to be made in this,” Guard said. “It’s nothing more than, than modern day slavery.“

The popular television series C.S.I. spent a week dramatizing the human trafficking problem in this country.

But, it’s all too real.

Last year, federal investigators charged 82 people and convicted 77 in 40 human trafficking cases.

Guard says there are signals that could indicate someone’s trapped in slave-like conditions.

One is someone who lives and works in the same place.

Another sign is a worker who’s in debt to his or her employer.

There are also security systems that keep people outside or inside a building.

Those are just a few.

“It’s just a crime that we need to turn the lights on if you will,” Guard said. “That it’s almost hiding in plain sight.“

Guard says there’s no doubt it’s happening in our backyard.

People can help by opening their eyes to an eye-opening problem.

Chief guard told Nine On Your Side his division is currently investigating several human trafficking cases in Eastern North Carolina.

He’s not allowed to give out the details.

http://www2.wnct.com/nct/news/local/...problem/75707/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Neighbors: Girl was full of life

Neighbors of the father of a missing Fayetteville girl said she was playful and very polite.

Today - 5:03pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/6433696

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/topstories/story/1060111.html

Missing girl's body found in Eastern N.C.
Mother and another man face charges tied to disappearance of Shaniya Davis from Fayetteville.
By Mandy Locke
mlocke@newsobserver.com
Posted: Monday, Nov. 16, 2009
Shaniya Nicole Davis, 5, disappeared from her Fayetteville home on Tuesday.

Antoinette Davis, center, listens to her charges on Monday, Nov. 16, 2009 near Sanford, N.C. Davis is the mother of the missing 5-year-old who was found dead off a heavily wooded road in a rural area Monday, ending a weeklong search, police said. Searchers found Shaniya Davis' body southeast of Sanford, in central North Carolina, Fayetteville Police spokeswoman Theresa Chance told The Associated Press. Police did not say how she died. (AP Photo/The Fayetteville Observer, Ashley Cross)
** MAGS OUT NO SALES MANDATORY CREDIT **

More Information
Shaniya Davis case timeline
Nov. 10

6:11 a.m.: Mario Andretti McNeill is seen in a surveillance video carrying Shaniya Davis toward the elevator at Comfort Suites in Sanford.

6:53 a.m.: Antoinette Davis, Shaniya's mother, reports her daughter missing from their home at Sleepy Hollow Mobile Home Park in Fayetteville. She said she last saw Shaniya about 5:30 that morning.

Nov. 11: Davis' boyfriend, Clarence D. Coe, is arrested and charged with kidnapping after a neighbor said he saw the two leaving the mobile home together that morning.

Nov. 13: McNeill turns himself into police, a day after police release the surveillance video from the motel. Police say that he acknowledges taking Shaniya. After McNeill is arrested, charges against Coe are dropped.

Nov. 14: Davis is charged with human trafficking and felony child abuse. Police say they believe Davis allowed her daughter to be taken “with the intent that she be held in sexual servitude.”

Nov. 15: Police and rescue workers begin a massive search along N.C. 87 and Walker Road near the Lee-Harnett county line.

Nov. 16: Shaniya's body is found in woods 100 feet off Walker Road.

A little more than a week before Shaniya Davis vanished, her mother told Carey Lockhart, the aunt who helped raise the 5-year-old, that she'd never see Shaniya again.

Those words echoed in Lockhart's head Monday, hours before searchers pulled a body police think was Shaniya's from a thicket of kudzu along the border of Lee and Harnett counties.

“If I'd only known … ,” Lockhart said Monday, her voice trailing off into sobs. She had helped rear the girl since infancy.

Shaniya disappeared a week ago from her home in Fayetteville, where she had been staying with her mother, Antoinette Davis, since the end of October. Police think Davis, who had reported her missing, had allowed her to be taken for “sexual servitude.”

Davis is charged with human trafficking, felony child abuse and making a false police report. A man, Mario McNeill, was charged with kidnapping Shaniya after a surveillance video caught him carrying the girl toward an elevator at a motel in Sanford the morning she was reported missing.

It's not clear what arrangement police think Davis had made for Shaniya. Police have offered little explanation of Shaniya's possible abuse, although they have indicated that county social workers had been involved Davis and her family.

Davis, who works at an assisted living facility, has no criminal history in North Carolina. McNeill has faced many drug charges but has no sex crimes on his record.

After a tip, searchers found a child's body Monday about 100 feet off a rural highway roughly six miles south of the motel where McNeill was spotted with Shaniya. Investigators were waiting for family members to positively identify Shaniya and would not comment on the condition of the body.

Davis, who is in police custody, could not be reached for comment. A judge appointed her a lawyer from the public defender's office, but no one had been assigned by late Monday.

Davis' sister, Brenda Davis, 20, told the Associated Press on Monday that she does not believe the charges.

“I don't believe she could hurt her children,” Brenda Davis said. The sisters spoke to each other at the jail Sunday, and Brenda Davis recalled that her sibling said she would not do that to her daughter.

Bounced between homes

Shaniya has bounced between homes since birth, shared between a mother and a father who conceived her during a chance encounter one night. Carey Lockhart had been the girl's primary guardian because her father, Bradley Lockhart, worked long stretches as a building contractor at out-of-state jobs.

“There was no denying that she was his,” CareyLockhart said of the resemblance between Shaniya and her father.

Lockhart described Shaniya as a joyful girl who loved to dress up in pretty clothes and make her cousins laugh. She was a kindergartner at Morganton Road Elementary School in Fayetteville.

Though Bradley Lockhart and Antoinette Davis never married, they shared responsibility for Shaniya from the start. Davis' interaction with her daughter was typically limited to occasional weekend visits, Lockhart said. Their custody arrangement was never formalized by the courts.

But 21/2 weeks ago, Lockhart said, the informal parenting arrangement dissolved.

Shaniya went to visit her mother on Oct. 31. Lockhart said she packed Shaniya enough clothes for two days and expected to pick her up that Sunday.

But on Sunday morning, Lockhart said, Davis called and told her that she'd never see Shaniya again. Lockhart said Davis was angry that she had disciplined Shaniya for getting into a fight with her cousins.

“I was at a loss; I had no idea what to do,” said Lockhart, who had no formal custody of Shaniya and could not demand her return.

“I knew when [my brother] came home, we were going to have to go to court and make some changes so we didn't have to endure this,” Lockhart said.

That resolution never came. Bradley Lockhart had not returned from a job in Oregon when Shaniya disappeared.

Last Tuesday, Lockhart rang his sister with bizarre news. A neighbor called him to say that police were looking for Shaniya.

As they were talking on the phone, police knocked on Carey Lockhart's door. They had found her name listed as a guardian at Shaniya's elementary school.

A million thoughts raced through Carey Lockhart's head: Maybe her mother was hiding her? Maybe someone wanted to collect a ransom from her brother?

She peppered police with questions. They grilled her right back. She feared they suspected she had done something to Shaniya. She buckled in tears and remembers police relenting.

“I was about to die,” Lockhart said. “I cannot describe the devastation. All the things I could have done different.”

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:30 pm

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

Confirmed: Body in woods
ID'd as Shaniya Davis
Nancy Grace
November 17, 2009

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/nancy.grace/

Breaking News: Medical Examiner's office has confirmed that the body found in the woods is that of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis. Official cause of death in still undetermined. More charges expected to be filed in Shaniya's kidnapping and disappearance - Shaniya's own mother charged with a number of allegations including child abuse involving prostitution. Who killed Shaniya Davis and dumped her body in the woods? Nancy Grace investigates every night at 8 & 10 PM E.T. on HLN.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:31 pm

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6444454/

Fayetteville police to add new charges in girl's death

Posted: Today at 7:35 a.m.
Updated: Today at 8:26 a.m.

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — Investigators piecing together why and where a 5-year-old Fayetteville girl was killed plan to add new charges on top of one for selling the girl for sexual slavery.

Police plan to hold a news conference at 10 a.m. Wednesday to discuss the case and said new charges are pending in the death of Shaniya Davis.

WRAL.com will carry the news conference LIVE.
Authorities are trying to decide where the girl was killed and if the case will be prosecuted in Cumberland or neighboring Lee County.

Shaniya was reported missing from her home, at 1116-A Sleepy Hollow Drive, by her mother last Tuesday morning. Volunteer searchers found her body Monday afternoon in the woods off N.C. Highway 87 near the Lee-Harnett county line.

On Tuesday, the State Medical Examiner's Office confirmed that the body was Shaniya's. No cause of death has been released.

Two people have been arrested in her disappearance – charges against a third person were dropped – but no one has been charged with killing her.

Police said one issue holding up any charges is the question of jurisdiction in the murder case. Prosecutors must prove where a slaying occurred.

Lee County authorities have referred all questions to Fayetteville police.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Today - 10:39am
Police: No new charges in girl's slaying

Fayetteville police said no more charges will be filed in the slaying of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis until authorities can figure out where she was killed.

http://www.wral.com/news/video/6445568/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:05 am

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/man-faces-murder-charge-204722.html

Man faces murder charge in NC girl's disappearance

Thursday, November 19, 2009
The Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. — A man already accused of kidnapping a 5-year-old North Carolina girl faces new charges that he raped and asphyxiated her, police said Thursday.

Mario McNeill is being charged with first-degree murder and first-degree rape of a child, Fayetteville Police Chief Tom Bergamine told reporters at a news conference.

The 29-year-old McNeill was charged earlier this week with kidnapping, with authorities saying he took Shaniya Davis from her Fayetteville home. Her body was found Monday in thick underbrush off a rural North Carolina road after searchers spent nearly a week looking for her.

Bergamine gave few further details of the investigation Thursday. Earlier in the week, authorities said McNeill admitted taking the girl, but the chief did not say whether McNeill admitted to the child's death.

A search warrant says McNeill picked the girl up in front of the home and drove her to a hotel where she was last seen alive. Surveillance video captured McNeil carrying the girl in the building.

"It is our sincere hope that the Davis family may now begin to put this horrific event behind them and begin the healing process," Bergamine said at the news conference.

McNeill's lawyer, Allen Rogers, did not immediately respond to a message left at his office after hours.

The girl's mother, Antoinette Davis, is charged with trafficking her daughter and child abuse involving prostitution. Bergamine said no new charges have been filed against Davis as of Thursday night.

Police issued the warrant containing the new charges against McNeill after they collected hair and fibers, clothes, and a straw from his 1997 Mitsubishi Galant.

Authorities first arrested another man, but charges against him were dropped a day later when investigators tracked down McNeill after receiving a tip from a hotel employee.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:06 am

Shaniya's Brother: 'I Didn't Think This Could Happen'

ESSENCE.COM: Can you tell me about your little sister, Shaniya?
BYRON COLEMAN: She was a very sweet little girl but very, very, shy. She wouldn't go to just anybody, you would really have to know her. And, she would have to get warmed up to you, especially males. She was a daddy's girl.

ESSENCE.COM: How close were you to her?
COLEMAN: Me and Shaniya were really close. I would see her every time I came home (from college). The last time I saw her is when we went to Chuckie Cheese. It was fun and she enjoyed it. We went there and McDonald's and then I went to the store to get her some flip-flops. She saw how they lit up when you walked so she was like, "I want these," and a Barbie doll.

ESSENCE.COM: What else did she like to do?
COLEMAN: Make-up, every girl's dream. She loved Hannah Montana, I know that. She (also) loved R&B because she was always singing.

ESSENCE.COM: When did you find out what happened to your sister?
COLEMAN: I found out the same day that it occurred. I was in Charlotte. I received a phone call from my dad and saw it all over the news. My father said that my little sister was missing but don't worry too much because she will be coming home pretty soon.

ESSENCE.COM: What did you think once your father told you?
COLEMAN: I didn't think something like that could happen. I mean you see it on the news all the time but you would never think that could happen to you or somebody close to you.

ESSENCE.COM: What do you think about the charges against Shaniya's mother, Antoinette Davis?
COLEMAN: Really, I think there should be more charges on her because any mother that can neglect their daughter that easily, words just can't describe.

ESSENCE.COM: Have you all heard anything from the police about how she died?
COLEMAN: No, we haven't. Well, I haven't I don't think my father has either.

ESSENCE.COM: Can I speak to your father?
COLEMAN: He's not ready to speak to the media.

ESSENCE.COM: Do you have any closing remarks?
COLEMAN: (Parents) don't let this happen to your child. I mean words just can't describe.

http://www.essence.com/news/breaking...niya_davis.php

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:06 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091120/..._disappears_nc

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. – A man charged with raping and killing a 5-year-old North Carolina girl was expected in court Friday, a day after authorities revealed what they believed happened to her in her final days.

Authorities said Thursday that Shaniya Davis was sexually assaulted and asphyxiated before her body was dumped off a rural road. Mario McNeill is charged with first-degree murder and first-degree rape of a child, Fayetteville Police Chief Tom Bergamine told reporters at a news conference.

Earlier in the week, authorities said McNeill admitted taking the girl, but Bergamine did not say whether McNeill admitted to the child's death.

A search warrant says McNeill picked the girl up in front of her home and drove her more than 30 miles to a hotel in Sanford, where she was last seen alive. Surveillance video captured McNeil carrying the girl in the building.

"It is our sincere hope that the Davis family may now begin to put this horrific event behind them and begin the healing process," Bergamine said at the news conference.

McNeill's lawyer, Allen Rogers, did not immediately respond to a message left at his office after hours.

The girl's mother, Antoinette Davis, is charged with trafficking her daughter and child abuse involving prostitution. Bergamine said Thursday night that no new charges have been filed against Davis.

Police issued the warrant containing the new charges against McNeill after they collected hair and fibers, clothes, and a straw from his 1997 Mitsubishi Galant.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.   

Back to top Go down

Shaniya Nicole Davis (5) R.I.P.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C) :: Your first category :: ~Missing Children~ (1-12) :: ~Angel Children~-
Jump to: