View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Created By: Lavanda Dolce

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Newburgh boy still missing, police charge mom’s boyfriend with letting him wander off

Marc Bookal

NEWBURGH – Police are scouring the City of Newburgh in hopes of finding Marc Bookal, the four-year-old boy who was reported missing Monday.

Newburgh City Police Tuesday charged the boyfriend of the boy’s month with endangering the welfare of a child for letting Marc wander off unattended.

Cory Byrd, 30, was also charged with a violation of parole.

He lives at the same 11 Benkard Avenue address and the child and his month.

Young Marc was last seen at home around 1 p.m. A short time later, the front door was found open and the child has not been seen since.

Marc is three feet, six inches tall and weighs 42 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes and wears a medium length afro. He was last seen wearing a red long sleeve shirt, white Nike sneakers and gray Rockawear sweatpants.

Anyone with information about the boy’s whereabouts is asked to call Newburgh City Police at 845-561-3131.

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:36 am

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091216/NEWS/912169971/-1/SITEMAP

Missing boy's grandparents pray he is found soon

December 16, 2009
Heather Yakin
Times Herald-Record

Christina Bookal’s family can do little but hope and pray that 4-year-old Marc Bookal is found safe, and soon.

"We’re just waiting and seeing, and hoping and praying that there has been no harm done to our grandchild," said the Rev. Grace Coston of Kingston, Bookal’s mother. "I really, really don’t believe that Cory (Byrd) would do any harm to Marc."

Marc Bookal disappeared about 1:15 p.m. Monday, while his mother’s boyfriend, Cory Byrd, was watching him. They were preparing to go to a relative’s home, Christina Bookal said, when, according to Byrd, the boy walked out of the apartment alone. When Byrd followed him out the door a couple of minutes later, they told police, the boy was gone.

Christina Bookal has always been very independent, the grandmother said. She wasn’t sure how long Bookal and Byrd, who have a son and daughter together, have been back together.

"As a family, we didn’t know Cory or the element that they lived in. We didn’t approve of the element," Coston said. "She seemed to be very much in love with Cory, so we didn’t argue with her."

Aside from the reckless endangerment charge he ultimately pleaded to, Coston said, she didn’t know details of the 1998 case where Byrd was initially charged with causing serious injuries to her daughter’s oldest child, Christian, who was then 14 months old.

In his plea, Byrd admitted to leaving Christian alone for a hour and a half. He had told police that when he got back to the apartment, the child was choking on a piece of candy, and that he tried to do the Heimlich maneuver to clear the child’s airway. He took the boy to the hospital, where staff notified police.

The family is focusing on supporting her, Coston said.

"I just pray that Marc is found as soon as possible," she said.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:38 am

http://wcbstv.com/local/missing.newburgh.child.2.1376751.html

Police Investigate Home Of Missing NY Boy
Marc Anthony Bookal Disappeared Under The Care Of His Mother's Boyfriend, Who Is Now In Police Custody

Dec 17, 2009
Pablo Guzman

As the search continues for an Orange County boy who disappeared from his Newburgh home on Monday afternoon, police returned to the boy's home late Thursday afternoon during their investigation.

Something excited police search dogs enough to warrant a call for more officers. Earlier, police continued searching in the Hudson, which is just blocks away from 4-year-old Marc Anthony Bookal's home, and at the many abandoned buildings that symbolize the economic depression of the city. Police searched there also and at the home.

Erik Reyes lit a candle as he prayed for the safety of the missing boy. He knows the child, his biological father, and Cory Byrd, the mother's boyfriend who has a long history of violence and violence towards children, and who is now in police custody.

"I know Cory Byrd and it's messed up. I hope that he didn't do it. I hope they find him alive," Reyes said.

In a video obtained by CBS 2 News, recorded hours before the disappearance of the boy, Marc Anthony is seen wearing a red jacket, along with Byrd. The child's father, Yul Bookal, begged Byrd to tell police what he knows about his son.

"Tell the people where you are, if you wanna do a polygraph test and set yourself free whatever the case may be," Bookal told CBS 2. "I just need to know where my son is and if he had something to do with the disappearance of my son, just like knowing where he is so I can have some closure to this. I feel like I'm about to lose my mind, I have never been through anything of this magnitude before."

Anyone with information should contact the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services at 1-800-FIND-KID (346-3543) or contact the Newburgh City Police Department.

Last edited by Melinda on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:39 am

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/091218-another-search-day-for-missing-newburgh-boy

Another Search Day for Newburgh Boy

Friday, 18 Dec 2009

Investigators continue to pursue leads and search the city of Newburgh for a 4-year-old boy who went missing Monday.

Police Sgt. Paul Weber says a special search and recovery dog provided by the National Center for Exploited Children is involved in the effort to find Marc Anthony Bookal, who vanished from his family's apartment Monday. Dogs and dive teams have also checked the nearby Hudson River, but Weber says Friday there's still no sign of the child.

Cory Byrd, the boyfriend of Marc's mother, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child. Police say the boy was in Byrd's care when he vanished. The 30-year-old Byrd also was charged with a parole violation. He's being held in Orange County Jail.

Police haven't called Byrd a suspect in the boy's disappearance.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:39 am

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20091219/NEWS01/91219014/Reward-offered-for-return-of-missing-boy

Reward offered for return of missing boy

December 19, 2009

A $10,000 reward is being offered for the safe return of 4-year-old Marc Bookal, who has been missing since Monday.

Newburgh police Sgt. Paul Weber said the person who contributed the reward money wants to remain anonymous.

Weber said Saturday turned up no new leads in the case. The child has not been found and Cory Byrd, 30, is still in jail, charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor. Byrd lives with Bookal and his mother in Newburgh, according to police. Byrd was charged with watching Bookal when the boy disappeared Monday.

"Several teams expanded the land search today despite subzero wind chills, with no results," Weber said.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:55 am

Hope Fades for Missing Newburgh Boy

MYFOXNY.COM - The family of Marc Anthony Bookal say they are losing hope that the 4-year-old boy will be found alive. They fear that the boy may have wandered off and fallen in the Hudson River.

Bookal's mother is also asking the police to stop focusing on her boyfriend as a suspect and worry more about finding the boy, according to reports.

Bookal was last seen at his home Monday in Newburgh, N.Y. on Benkard Avenue, police said. The door was left open and he was gone. Officers arrested the mother's boyfriend, Cory Byrd, on Tuesday and charged him with endangering the welfare of a child.

Byrd has a prior criminal record. He served almost two years for reckless endangerment 1st degree for hurting an infant. He also served time for criminal sale of cocaine.

Bookal is 3-foot-6 and weights 42 pounds. He has black eyes and brown hair. He is described as a light-skinned black boy with discolorations on the back of his hands from a previous burn injury, authorities said.

He was last seen wearing a red long-sleeve shirt, white Nike Uptown sneakers, and gray Rokaware sweatpants, police said.

If you have any information, please call the hot line at 800-346-3543 or Newburgh police at 845-561-3131.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...-missing-river

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:56 am

NEWBURGH (WABC) -- Authorities searched the frigid waters of the Hudson River, and in the woods by the shore, and through the dirt near a sewage treatment plant.

The search for 4-year-old Marc Bookal is growing grim with each passing hour.

Friends of the missing boy's father stood watch, because he no longer could, after hearing bad news from investigators that dogs picked up mark's scent by the water.

Authorites say Marc Anthony Bookal was last seen early Monday afternoon. He is 3-foot-5 and weighs 42 pounds. Cory Byrd, his mother's boyfriend, has been arrested charged with child endangerment.

Byrd claims the four-year-old wandered away from the house.

Earlier that morning the two were seen on surveillance video at a nearby bodega.

This isn't the first time Byrd has been jailed.

Byrd was arrested in 1998 after his own son was hospitalized with a fractured skull, broken ribs, a broken wrist and perferated liver. He was charged with reckless endangerment after a number of inconsistaces in his story.

This time, he remains in custody, has asked for a lawyer and is not talking. But Marc's mother is supporting him.

"Marc and him had a good relationship," Christina Bookal said. "I'm not a stupid mother."

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=7171531

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:57 am

Convenience store video obtained by CBS 2HD showed 4-year old Marc Anthony Bookal seemingly safe and sound. He was seen accompanied by his mother's live-in boyfriend, 30-year-old Cory Byrd.

The video was recorded Monday morning, just 3.5 hours before Marc disappeared while under Byrd's care.

"I understand that he let him go out the door, but reckless endangerment? That's more like he harmed him," said mother Christina Bookal.

Marc was still missing, and Byrd faced criminal charges in this case. His troubled past was raising questions about whether he may have harmed the boy.

"He shouldn't have been watching my son. He's watching him again, now nobody" said Yul Bookal, Marc's father, as he broke down.

Byrd's criminal record includes a 2003 conviction for assault and drug possession and a 1999 reckless endangerment conviction for severe injuries his year-old son received. That boy's mother was Christina Bookal, and he was under Byrd's care at the time.

Byrd gave conflicting stories back then about what happened. Bookal said the 1999 incident was a result of inexperienced parenting and not criminal abuse. "It was an accident, an honest accident. We were young and not knowing how to be parents. We learned."

Earlier this year, young Marc suffered burn injuries to his hands. Marc's biological father claims it happened under Cory Byrd's care.

"After what, the incident happened, she still went and left my son there with him?" Yul Bookal said.
http://wcbstv.com/local/missing.newb...2.1372888.html

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 am

December 17, 2009
CITY OF NEWBURGH — City police and officers from other agencies, including state troopers, have begun their fourth day searching for 4-year-old Marc Bookal.

The boy was reported missing at 1:20 p.m. Monday afternoon. His mother’s live-in boyfriend, Cory Byrd, 30, who was watching Bookal at the time, has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, and violation of parole.

There are four K-9 teams, and police from as far away as Ramapo helping in the search, along with two SCUBA teams searching the Hudson River.

Marc Anthony Bookal was reported missing at 1:20 p.m. Monday, clad only in a long-sleeve red shirt and gray sweatpants, and wearing white Nikes. Dozens of police combed the area around his Benkard Avenue home Monday night, to no avail.

VIDEO: The search along the Hudson River

The last person known to have seen the child was Cory Byrd, 30, the live-in boyfriend of the Marc's mother, Christina Bookal. Byrd told police the boy walked out the door of his apartment building alone. He said the child was gone when he went outside a few minutes later. Byrd has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child.

Wednesday's search focused on the areas immediately north and south of the city's sewage treatment plant and along the railroad tracks. A state police dive team slid into the frigid Hudson River.

Relatives and friends of Marc's family watched the waterfront search from the foot of Renwick Street. They said they were told bloodhounds were following a trail developed the night before.

There was a rumor going around Wednesday that searchers had recovered one or both of the missing boy's shoes. But city police Chief Eric Paolilli said in a statement issued around noon that it was not true.

Police have refused to say whether they believe the child is alive or dead at this point. Temperatures dropped into the low 20s Tuesday night.
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/912170335

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 am

Marc Bookal: Banks of the Hudson River searched in case of missing Newburgh, NY 4-year-old
December 17, 2009
http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2009m12d17-Marc-Bookal-Banks-of-the-Hudson-River-searched-in-case-of-missing-4yearold

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:01 am

Dec 17, 2009

Marc Anthony Bookal Disappeared Under The Care Of His Mother's Boyfriend, Who Is Now In Police Custody
As the search continues for a child
who disappeared from his Newburgh home on Monday afternoon, police returned to the boy's home late Thursday afternoon during their investigation.

Something excited police search dogs enough to warrant a call for more officers. Earlier, police continued searching in the Hudson, which is just blocks away from 4-year-old Marc Anthony Bookal's home, and at the many abandoned buildings that symbolize the economic depression of the city. Police searched there also and at the home.

Erik Reyes lit a candle as he prayed for the safety of the missing boy. He knows the child, his biological father, and Cory Byrd, the mother's boyfriend who has a long history of violence and violence towards children, and who is now in police custody.

"I know Cory Byrd and it's messed up. I hope that he didn't do it. I hope they find him alive," Reyes said.

In a video obtained by CBS 2 News, recorded hours before the disappearance of the boy, Marc Anthony is seen wearing a red jacket, along with Byrd. The child's father, Yul Bookal, begged Byrd to tell police what he knows about his son.

"Tell the people where you are, if you wanna do a polygraph test and set yourself free whatever the case may be," Bookal told CBS 2. "I just need to know where my son is and if he had something to do with the disappearance of my son, just like knowing where he is so I can have some closure to this. I feel like I'm about to lose my mind, I have never been through anything of this magnitude before."

Anyone with information should contact the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services at 1-800-FIND-KID (346-3543) or contact the Newburgh City Police Department.
http://wcbstv.com/local/missing.newb...2.1376751.html

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:03 am

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/091217-no-sign-of-boy-in-hudson-river-search

No Sign of Boy in Hudson River Search
Dec 17,2009

MYFOXNY.COM - Divers went into the Hudson River Thursday to look for a missing 4-year old boy from Newburgh, but didn't find anything before the search was called off at noon.

Marc Anthony Bookal vanished from his home Monday on Benkard Avenue, police said. The door was left open and he was gone.

His father says he is beginning to emotionally break down.

"I'm running out of faith, I feel like I'm holding on to thin air right now," Yul Bookal said.

State and local police SCUBA teams had navigated the frigid waters for nearly two days with no sign of little Marc Anthony.

Police then went back to another ground search. Canine units lead the way, as dozens of officers fanning out across Newburg hoping to find Marc.

Marc's disappearance has saddened an entire community, made national news, and exposed troubling details of his home life.

His mother, Christina, has been criticized for staying with her live-in boyfriend, Corey Byrd, after Byrd was sent to prison for beating another of her children 10 years ago.

Bryd is back in jail, charged with child endangerment since Marc was in his care this week when the boy vanished.

And it turns out, several months ago Marc's hands were badly burned and police are investigating claims that Byrd was responsible for that injury.

None of these incidents prompted social services to intervene.

Marc is 3-foot-6 and weights 42 pounds. He has black eyes and brown hair. He is described as a light-skinned black boy with discolorations on the back of his hands from a previous burn injury, authorities said.

He was last seen wearing a red long-sleeve shirt, white Nike Uptown sneakers, and gray Rokaware sweatpants, police said.

If you have any information, please call the hot line at 800-346-3543 or Newburgh police at 845-561-3131.

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:03 am

$10,000 reward in Newburgh's missing-boy case
Searchers worry that snow could conceal evidence
By Adam Bosch
Times Herald-Record
December 20, 2009
CITY OF NEWBURGH — An anonymous donor has offered a $10,000 reward for any information leading to the safe return of 4-year-old Marc Anthony Bookal.

The reward was the only new development on the sixth day of an exhaustive search for Marc, who disappeared Monday afternoon.

More than 25 police officers and three dogs handled by volunteers searched a half-mile radius around the Benkard Avenue apartment where Marc was last seen.

They searched backyards, alleys and areas near the Hudson River and Quassaick Creek.

A snowstorm Saturday night was expected to delay the search and make it more complicated.

Police worry that snow could cover pieces of evidence or scents that would be picked up by dogs. That's why search teams covered a wide area Saturday.

"We got the most amount of territory covered that we possibly could," Newburgh police Chief Eric Paolilli said.

The search is expected to resume on Monday.

Meanwhile, Paolilli is asking Newburgh residents to contact police if any items seem to have been moved, or if anything seems out of place on their property.

Marc disappeared about 1 p.m. Monday while under the care of his mother's live-in boyfriend, Cory Byrd, 30, who was charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor.

Byrd initially told police that the boy wandered off. He's gotten a lawyer and remained silent ever since. Byrd remains in jail for a parole violation.

Since then, police have searched more than 120 hours for the boy. They've been helped by numerous other police agencies, volunteer dog teams and most recently, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

Anyone with tips is asked to call Newburgh police at 561-3131.

abosch@th-record.com
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...200326/-1/NEWS

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 am

Newburgh police want boyfriend of missing boy's mother to take polygraph
By Michael Randall
Posted: December 19, 2009
CITY OF NEWBURGH — City police said Friday that they have asked Cory Byrd to take a polygraph test and are awaiting a response from his lawyer.
Byrd, 30, is the boyfriend of Christina Bookal, mother of 4-year-old Marc Anthony Bookal, who has been missing since Monday.

Police said Byrd asked for a lawyer during questioning Monday and they have not been able to talk to him since. They charged him Tuesday with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor, and violation of parole.

Meanwhile, the search for Marc continued Friday. Police said a special search and recovery dog provided by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children was being used.
mrandall@th-record.com
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/912189972

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:22 am

Search for missing Newburgh boy continues Monday

By Keith Goldberg
December 20, 2009

CITY OF NEWBURGH — Police continued to search Sunday for Marc Anthony Bookal, the 4-year-old boy who went missing from a Benkard Avenue apartment a week ago.

Newburgh Lt. Charles Broe said police and searchers will start to expand their search beyond the half-mile radius around Benkard Avenue on Monday. On Saturday, an anonymous donor offered a $10,000 reward for any information leading to the toddler’s safe return.

Anyone with information should contact Newburgh police at 845-561-3131.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091220/NEWS/912209995

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:23 am

Reward increases for Newburgh boy

December 23, 2009
Emily Stewart
Poughkeepsie Journal

Marc Bookal has been missing for more than a week. But despite a growing reward for his return, the 4-year-old has yet to be found.

This week, several donors have offered rewards for the boy's return. On Saturday, an "anonymous community member" offered $10,000 for his safe return, city police Sgt. Paul Weber said. Then, another anonymous donor contacted police and offered a reward of $5,000, also for Marc's safe return, he said.

On Monday, Carlie's Crusade, a Marlboro-based not-for-profit foundation focused on preventing the abduction of children, offered an additional reward of $1,000 to "anyone who provides a tip leading to the return or recovery of Marc Anthony Bookal ... regardless of the circumstances of his return," Weber said.

"This is somewhat different than previous rewards for 'the safe return of Marc Bookal,' " he said.

Weber said both of Bookal's biological parents have taken polygraph tests and were "found to be truthful in their responses" regarding questions about the boy's whereabouts.

The mother's boyfriend, Cory Byrd, 30, is in jail, charged with endangering the welfare of a child, a misdemeanor. Byrd lives with Bookal and his mother in Newburgh, police said. Byrd was in charge of watching Bookal when the boy disappeared.

On Monday, Byrd's attorney, Erik Indozonka, declined a police request for Byrd to take a polygraph exam, Weber said.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20091223/NEWS05/912230327

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:23 am

Mark Bookal 4 yo -Newburgh, New York-12/14/09
New information leads police to restart search for missing Newburgh boy
http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/article/20100108/NEWS05/100108014/New-information-leads-police-to-restart-search-for-missing-Newburgh-boy

Created By: crankycrankerson
(Added the newer river search diver pics to the pb)
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif%20Bookal/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Last edited by Melinda on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:59 am

Missing and Murdered Children
Archive for the ‘Marc Anthony Bookal’ tag
NY Endangered Missing Child: Marc Anthony Bookal
http://missingandmurderedchildren.facesofthemissing.org/tag/marc-anthony-bookal/

Back to top Go down
Logan
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:16 am

Prosecutors ordered to turn over evidence in Byrd case

CITY OF NEWBURGH - A City Court judge ordered prosecutors to let Cory Byrd and his attorney see certain evidence they’ve collected while investigating the disappearance of 4-year-old Marc Bookal.

Byrd’s attorney, Gary Greenwald, has argued his client had the right to know what prosecutors had so that he could defend himself against a charge of endangering the welfare of a child. Judge B. Harold Ramsey agreed, ordering the Orange County District Attorney to turn over the info by Feb. 9.

The order does not entitle Byrd to everything, however. Ramsey’s instructions are tailored directly to the misdemeanor endangering charge. That means evidence collected or search warrants that would pertain to more serious charges – should prosecutors ever file them – can remain confidential. Prosecutors had previously balked at turning over any of what Greenwald requested, saying the case was under consideration for Grand Jury.

Byrd was arrested on Dec. 14 after reporting Marc missing. Byrd dates Marc’s mother, Christina Bookal, and was watching the little boy that day. Greenwald said Byrd allowed Marc to walk outside to visit his aunt next door as Marc had done many times in the past. When Byrd went to check on him, Greenwald said, he found that he’d never made it to his aunt’s house and was missing.
Greenwald said Ramsey’s decision was “an enormous victory” for Byrd.

“This is America,” Greenwald said outside the courtroom. “He’s entitled to certain items under the law.”

Senior Assistant District Attorney Neal Haberman declined to comment on the decision.

Byrd’s relatives came to court Tuesday for his appearance. His sister, Lisa Byrd, said it’s been a horrible time for the family and they don’t believe Byrd would have done anything to hurt Marc.

“I want people to know my brother is not a monster,” Lisa Byrd said.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100202/NEWS/100209911

Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:17 am

Charge Against Corey Byrd to be Dropped

GOSHEN – A charge of endangering the welfare of a child is going to be dropped against Corey Byrd, the boyfriend of Christine Bookal, mother of Mark Anthony Bookal. He’s the four-year-old Newburgh boy who has been missing since December 14, 2009 and who was under the care of Byrd at the time of his disappearance.

An intense search for the child by Newburgh City and State Police turned up no clues as to the boy’s whereabouts.

But, Orange County District Attorney Frank Phillips Tuesday said he would seek to have the charge dropped against Byrd.

“Based upon the facts and circumstances surrounding this case it would appear that Mark Anthony Bookal may have been the victim of a kidnapping or a homicide,” said Phillips. Byrd remains a person of interest in Mark Bookal’s disappearance and under state law prosecution of Byrd for the misdemeanor charge of endangering the welfare of a child would preclude any possible future prosecution of Byrd for more serious charges resulting from the disappearance of the child.

Phillips said in addition to creating the double jeopardy issue, prosecution of Byrd in the City of Newburgh Criminal Court would require the DA’s office to provide the defense with information which would hamper the investigation into the disappearance of the young boy.

http://www.hvpress.net/news/125/ARTICLE/8726/2010-02-09.html

Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:17 am

DA says strategy shifting in missing-boy case

GOSHEN — Orange County District Attorney Frank Phillips said prosecutors will drop a misdemeanor charge against Corey Byrd to protect their ability to charge him with a more serious crime later.

Byrd is a "person of interest" in the disappearance of 4-year-old Marc Bookal from his Benkard Avenue home in Newburgh. Byrd was watching the little boy on Dec. 14, and told police he let Marc walk to an aunt's house next door. Marc hasn't been seen since, despite a massive search.

Phillips announced the decision the day before prosecutors were due to give Byrd and his attorney, Gary Greenwald, evidence collected during the investigation. Phillips said that would have hampered the investigation.

Byrd faced a maximum of a year in prison if convicted on the misdemeanor, endangering the welfare of a child.

Phillips said that could have made it impossible to charge him with something more serious because state law protects people from being tried twice for the same crime. A court could have decided the act of endangering was basically the same act as a more serious crime.

Phillips said the investigation indicates Marc might have been kidnapped or killed.

Greenwald has said, since taking over Byrd's defense in early January, that he's seen no evidence to support the endangering charge, much less something worse.

"Unfortunately, it's sad that many people prejudged Mr. Byrd," Greenwald said.

He planned to visit Byrd Tuesday evening in Orange County Jail and tell him the news.

Senior Assistant District Attorney Neal Haberman is to file the motion to drop the charges Wednesday in Newburgh City Court. Byrd will remain in jail on a parole violation because he tested positive for marijuana.

Greenwald said they'll resolve that issue and bring Byrd home as soon as possible.

"This is a complete victory for Mr. Byrd," Greenwald said.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100210/NEWS/2100341/-1/SITEMAP

Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:18 am

Snow delays dismissal of charges in case of missing boy

CITY OF NEWBURGH – Corey Byrd will have to wait at least a day for prosecutors to dismiss a misdemeanor charge against him.

Byrd was charged with endangering the welfare of a child following the Dec. 14, 2009, disappearance of his girlfriend's 4-year-old son, Marc Bookal. Byrd had told police he allowed Marc to walk next door to an aunt's house, but the little boy never arrived.

Senior Assistant District Attorney Neal Haberman was to file the motion to dismiss Tuesday morning, but lawyers, Marc's mother and even the judge arrived to find Newburgh City Court had been closed because of the snow storm.

Court closures for New York City and seven counties, including Orange County were announced Tuesday morning on the New York Unified Court System's website, but there was no mention of closures on the Newburgh City Court's web site or answering machines.

Byrd is expected to return to court on Thursday, but there has been no official announcement.

District Attorney Frank Phillips announced Tuesday prosecutors would drop the misdemeanor endangering charge against Byrd. Had Byrd been convicted, he would have faced a maximum sentence of one year in Orange County Jail. Phillips said the conviction may have prevented prosecutors from filing more serious charges against Byrd later because state law protects people from being tried for the same crime twice. A court may have decided the act of endangering was basically the same act as something worse. Phillips said the investigation indicates Marc may have been kidnapped or killed.

Dismissing the charges also allows prosecutors to avoid handing over evidence collected during the investigation to Byrd and his attorney, Gary Greenwald.

City Court Judge B. Harold Ramsey had ordered prosecutors to turn over the material by Wednesday. Phillips said that would have hampered the ongoing investigation.

Newburgh police Chief Eric Paolilli issued a statement Tuesday supporting the district attorney's decision. He said police would continue to search for Marc and investigate. Byrd remains a "person of interest" in the case, Paolilli said.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100210/NEWS/100219981/-1/NEWS

Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 am

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Sexual Offenders in your area:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.   

Back to top Go down

Marc Anthony Bookal (4) R.I.P.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next