~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~Dedicated to Caylee~(D2C)

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Empty
PostSubject: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Juv1j6
Aveion Malik Lewis (2) 1/14/10 Roanoke, Va

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2010/01/15/crimesider/entry6100254.shtml

ROANOKE, Va. (CBS/AP) Aveion Malik Lewis, a 2-year-old boy, is missing in Roanoke, Va., and police are searching for three suspects who they believe stole the boy, bound his 4-year-old sister, knocked his step-father unconscious, and left a ransom note demanding money.

Aveion was taken late Jan. 14 by three men who broke into his family's apartment and hit his stepfather over the head, knocking him unconscious, according to Roanoke police.

The stepfather says that when he woke up little Aveion was gone and his 4-year-old daughter was bound and restrained. He also found a note asking for money, CBS affiliate WDBJ reported.

Police say the men may be traveling in a white 1990s Chevrolet Blazer.

The boy is described as black with close-cut black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing yellow SpongeBob Squarepants footie pajamas.

Police say the suspects are a 6-foot-2 black male in his late 20s with a stocky build and beard; a 5-foot-11 black male in his late 20s with dreadlocks and a muscular upper body; and a 5-foot-11 black male, 23 to 24 years old, with no facial hair.

An Ambert Alert was issued Friday morning for Aveion.

If you have any information as to the whereabouts of Aveion Malik Lewis, please call Roanoke City Police Department at (540) 853-2211 or Virginia State Police at 1 (800) 822-4453.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&LanguageCountry=en_US&searchLang=en_US&caseLang=en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1139243&seqNum=1

Last edited by Melinda on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 pm

Aveion Malik Lewis was taken from his home in Roanoke late Thursday
Story by Jeff Pullin

ROANOKE, Va. -- A kidnapping in Virginia has authorities asking for your help.

Aveion Malik Lewis was taken from his home in Roanoke late Thursday. According to authorities, three black males kidnapped the two year old during a home invasion and left a note demanding money.

The suspects are believed to be driving a 90s model white Chevrolet Blazer.

Description of Missing Child

Aveion Malik Lewis

Race : Black

Date of Birth : Jan. 26, 2007

Height : 2 feet, 6 inches

Weight : 26 pounds

Hair: Close cut black

Eyes: Brown

Date and Time of Abduction: 5 p.m. Jan. 14, 2010

Circumstances: Child was last seen at 2162 King Charles Ave. SE, Roanoke, Va. Child was last seen wearing yellow Sponge Bob Squarepants footie pajamas.

Description of Abductors (from Virginia State Police)

ABDUCTOR 1: Tony, last name unknown Black male, 6-feet, 2-inches tall, wearing black hoodie shirt, black puffy fur collar jacket, black du rag. Dark complexion black male, stocky build, full beard, and in his late twenties Had been hanging around the victim's residence even after stepfather told the individual to get away from their residence. unknown if armed.

ABDUCTOR 2: Name unknown

Black male, 5-feet, 11-inches tall, dreadlocks hair, wearing red baseball cap. Light complexion black male, muscular upper body, in his late 20s. Was seen hanging around the victim's home after being told to leave.

ABDUCTOR 3: Name unknown

Black male, 5-feet, 11-inches tall, wearing brown with white writing hat . Light complexion black male with no facial hair, 23 or 24 years old. Was seen hanging outside around the victim's home even after stepfather asked the three males to go away from the back of their residence. Unknown if armed. A note was left requesting money

Direct link:

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=73516
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:12 pm

UPDATED: Amber Alert issued for missing Roanoke child
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11826595
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Two-year-old abducted from SE Roanoke apartment, police say; Amber Alert issued
Update: The boy's mother and stepfather give more details about Thursday evening's reported abduction. The search continues with FBI assistance and K-9 dogs.

By Amanda Codispoti and Jorge Valencia | The Roanoke Times

Three men entered a duplex in the Jamestown Place neighborhood shortly before 6:40 p.m., knocked a man unconscious, bound and restrained a 4-year-old girl and took Aveion M. Lewis, police said.

* Missing: Aveion M. Lewis
* Last seen wearing:Yellow SpongeBob Squarepants footie pajamas
* Call police with any information: 853-2411 or (800) 822-4453

The suspects

* Three black men in their 20s who could be driving a white, 1990s model Chevrolet Blazer (Click for more details.)

A Roanoke police officer collects forensic evidence from the home Aveion Lewis, who was reportedly abducted in the Jamestown Place neighborhood in Southeast Roanoke.

Eric Brady | The Roanoke Times

A Roanoke police officer collects forensic evidence from the home of Aveion Lewis, who was reportedly abducted in the Jamestown Place neighborhood in Southeast Roanoke.
Police in Roanoke are looking for a 2-year-old boy they say was taken early Thursday night from a duplex apartment in Southeast Roanoke.

Three men entered a duplex in the Jamestown Place neighborhood shortly before 6:40 p.m., knocked a man unconscious, bound and restrained a 4-year-old girl and took Aveion M. Lewis, police said.

The Virginia State Police identified the injured man as the boy's stepfather, Brandon Lockett.

Lockett said he saw the suspects hanging around their home earlier on Thursday and told them to leave. One of the suspects referred to himself as Tony and said they knew a friend of the Locketts.

Later in the day, Lockett said he heard a knock on the back door in the dining area of the duplex. As soon as he opened the door, he got hit. "All I felt was just a bam," he said. He said he didn't know what he was hit with.

Lockett, who had a cut on his lip and evident swelling on his face Friday morning, said he woke up in the living room just as his wife, Morgan Lockett, returned home.

Morgan Lockett said the first thing Brandon could say was, "the kids," referring to the four young children in the home.

She said she found her 4-year-old daughter bound and gagged in the bedroom, but her 2-year-old son, Aveion Lewis, was missing. Two other young children, both under the age of 4, were still in the duplex and left unharmed.

The duplex was also ransacked, she said. The sofa was flipped, a pile of clothing was on the kitchen table and the house was littered with their belongings. Not taken was a large flat-screen TV in the living room, a Christmas gift to the family.

Morgan Lockett said the suspects left a note demanding $10,000.

Brandon Lockett said the note was addressed to an acquaintance of his, which makes him believe his family is caught in the middle between the suspects and the acquaintance.

"We live a simple life," he said. "We don't bother nobody."

Morgan Lockett said she's worried about Aveion's health because he was born premature and has battled digestive problems all of his life. Aveion doesn't have a lot of fat on his body, so he has to be kept warm or his body temperature drops quickly, Brandon Lockett said. He added that the toddler drinks Ensure formula every day.

"I just want my baby back," Morgan Lockett said. "I can't deal with this."

What to look for: Suspect and vehicle descriptions

The three men may have left the 2100 block of King Charles Avenue Southeast in a large white SUV, said Roanoke Police Capt. Curtis Davis. The Amber Alert said the vehicle may be a 1990s model Chevrolet Blazer.

The child was last seen wearing yellow SpongeBob Squarepants footie pajamas.

Officers patrolled the block late Thursday night, and investigators said they were looking for suspects matching the following descriptions:

* A 6-foot-2 dark complexion black man of medium build in his late 20s, wearing a black sweatshirt, jacket and scarf.

* A 5-foot-11 light complexion black man in his late 20s of medium to muscular build with dread locked hair and slanted eyes, wearing a red Saint Louis Cardinals baseball cap.

* A 5-foot-11 light complexion black man of thin build wearing a black hat with white writing on it, a white shirt and blue jeans.

It was not clear if any of the suspects were armed.

Roanoke police are using FBI software to collect tips in a command center that will be staffed 24 hours a day, said police spokeswoman Aisha Johnson. The department continued to get tips through Friday afternoon.

Police have flown over the area with a helicopter equipped to find a person detecting body heat. Meanwhile, city police officers re-canvassed the neighborhood with K-9 teams, and handed out flyers throughout the city with a photo of Aveion.

Anyone with information is asked to call Roanoke police at 853-2411 or Virginia State Police at (800) 822-4453.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/233017
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Police seek 3 men in case of missing Roanoke boy
Aveion Lewis' stepfather said the men left a ransom note addressed to an acquaintance of his.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The kidnappers knocked the stepfather unconscious, bound and gagged a girl, ransacked the house and left a ransom note before taking the 2-year-old boy.

Thursday's reported violent abduction of Southeast Roanoke toddler Aveion M. Lewis received national media attention on Friday as police and FBI agents continued searching for him.

He was home with his stepfather, Brandon Lockett, and three siblings when a knock came from the back door of their duplex in Jamestown Place, Lockett said Friday.

As soon as Lockett opened the door, he was knocked unconscious, he said.

"All I felt was just a bam," he said. He said he didn't know what he was hit with.

Lockett, who had a cut on his lip and evident swelling on his face Friday morning, said he woke up in the living room just as his wife, Morgan Lockett, returned home.

They found their 4-year-old girl gagged and bound in a bedroom. Two other children, a 2-year-old girl and an 11-month-old boy, were not harmed.

Police were called about 6:40 p.m. and searched the neighborhood with K-9s. Virginia State Police brought in a helicopter that has an infrared camera to detect body heat.

On Friday, detectives knocked on doors in the area and showed residents pictures of the boy. Officers throughout the city handed out fliers. The FBI showed a photo of Aveion on electronic billboards across the state, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children sent information on the case to police departments within 100 miles of Roanoke.

Police had also set up a command center at its downtown headquarters, which will be open 24 hours to take tips and review information.

Police had not ruled out any possibility in the case as of Friday evening, said Aisha Johnson, the department's spokeswoman.

Brandon Lockett was able to give police a description of each suspect, because he said he'd seen them hanging around the duplex earlier in the day.

At one point, he asked them to leave, and one of the men said his name was Tony, and that he knew a friend of Lockett's.

Lockett said he believes the abductors were using his family to get to someone he knows because the ransom note, which asked for $10,000, was addressed to that person. Lockett declined to disclose the name on the note.

He said he is angry that the men involved his family in their dispute.

"We live a simple life," he said. "We don't bother nobody."

The Locketts' anger mixed with anguish as the couple waited at home Friday for news of Aveion.

"I just want my baby back," Morgan Lockett said.

She is particularly worried about her son's health because he was born premature and has digestive problems. As a result, he doesn't have a lot of fat on his body, and has to be kept warm or his body temperature drops quickly, the family said.

But the Locketts remain hopeful.

Aveion will be 3 on Jan. 26, and the family is still planning to celebrate his birthday at Chuck E. Cheese.

"He's going to come home," Brandon Lockett said.

Until he's found, the family said prayer is all that can help them.

"God's going to keep him safe," Lockett said.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/233222
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:15 pm

First suspect description (Tony):

Black male, dark complexion
Age possibly in his late 20's
6'2" in height
Medium build
Full beard
Wore all black clothing including a black hooded sweatshirt, a black jacket with fur around the hood, and a black scarf on his head.
Second suspect description:

Black male, light complexion
Age possibly in his late 20's
5'11" in height
Medium to muscular build
Hair in dread locks
Small or slanted eyes
Wore red Saint Louis Cardinals baseball cap
Third suspect description:

Black male, light complexion
Age possibly in his early 20's
5'11" in height
Thin build
Wore a brown kit cap with a rim with white writing on it, white shirt, and blue jeans
The suspects were possibly traveling in a large white SUV..
Aveion Lewis was last seen wearing yellow Sponge Bob footie pajamas. Police say the suspects may be traveling in a large white SUV, possibly a Chevy Blazer.

Anyone with information is asked to call Roanoke Police Department at 540-853-2212 or Virginia State Police at 1-800-822-4453.

The FBI and the Roanoke Police Department have set up a 24-hour command center to gather tips from the community.

Aveion lives with his mother, stepfather and three other brothers and sisters in Southeast Roanoke.

Aveion's mother was in tears and so upset that she couldn't speak to News7. But the child's stepfather, Brandon Lockett, did. He says all he cares about is getting his son back.

"I just remember BAM, that's all I remember," said Lockett.

He was the only adult home Thursday, when he heard a knock at the back door.

"As soon as I opened up the door, I heard BAM and just braced myself for impact," said Lockett.

He says he was knocked out cold. His wife came home, he came to, and they called the cops.

"She was like the kids, the kids! And she went looking around. So I raced upstairs," said Lockett.

That's where he says he found his daughters tied up and gagged, but his stepson, Aveion, missing.

"All I want is him. I meant that's all I want is him, I mean that's all I want," said Lockett.

He says he remembers a few men at the grocery store parking lot across the street, and then lurking around the apartments, one introduced himself as Tony.

"He was a bigger guy, dark skin, 6-2, 6-1, full beard," said Lockett.

He says they left a note asking for $10,000. But Lockett says he's not the one they're after, and he's not sure why he was targeted.

"I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. Me and my wife are trying to figure out. How did we become involved into this whole charades," said Lockett.

He says his stepson is turning three-years-old at the end of the month, and has medical problems and has trouble maintaining body heat.

Again, Aveion was taken Thursday evening, between 5 p.m. and 6:45 p.m.

Roanoke City Police had told News7 a state-wide amber alert was issued around midnight, but it actually didn't go out until just before 3 a.m. Friday.

Then around noon, state police mistakenly canceled the amber alert for Aveion. Then almost immediately RE-issued the alert.

Roanoke police tell News7 it took time to put out the alert the first time, because there are qualifications that have to be met.

Investigators must make sure that it is not a domestic situation, and they have a description of a vehicle.

Here is a news release from the Roanoke Police Department:

Roanoke Police Department Continues Investigation into Child Abduction

Roanoke, VA- Teams of officers from the Roanoke Police Department are being assisted by agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) in the search for two year old Aveion M. Lewis, who was abducted on January 14, 2010. Officers responded on January 14, at 6:41 p.m. to an apartment in the 2100 block of King Charles Avenue. An adult female stated that her two year old son, identified as Aveion M. Lewis, was abducted from her home.

The initial investigation indicates that three or more suspects entered the apartment. An adult male in the apartment advised that he was assaulted and knocked unconscious. When the male awoke he advised that Aveion was missing and a four year old female child was bound and restrained. During the evening and overnight hours of January 14 and 15, officers with the Roanoke Police Department conducted a search of the area where the incident reportedly occurred, conducted a citywide search for the suspect vehicle, conducted in-depth interviews, and utilized police k-9's. A Virginia State Police helicopter was also utilized to search the area around King Charles Avenue, the Roanoke River, and wooded areas around King Charles Avenue.

The Virginia State Police has issued an Amber Alert. Today, teams of officers with the Roanoke Police Department are being assisted by agents from the FBI to re-canvas the area, going door to door to speak with residents who did not answer their doors or were not home last night.

Roanoke officers and FBI agents are also pursuing leads as they are received during the investigation.

The suspects are described as three black males. The first male is described as a black male with a dark complexion. His age is estimated as late 20's. He is approximately six feet two inches in height with a medium build. He has a full beard and was wearing all black clothing. The clothing included a black hooded sweatshirt, a black jacket with fur around the hood, and a black scarf on his head. The second suspect is described as a black male with a light complexion. His age is estimated as late 20's. He is approximately five feet 11 inches in height with a medium to muscular build. He wore a dread lock hair style and his eyes were described as small or slanted. He wore a red Saint Louis Cardinals baseball cap. The third suspect is described as a black male with a light complexion. His age is estimated as early 20's. He is five feet 11 inches in height with a thin build. He wore a brown kit cap with a rim and white writing on it, a white shirt, and blue jeans. The suspects were possibly traveling in a large white SUV.

Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of Aveion M. Lewis should call 911 immediately.

HERE IS THE AMBER ALERT:

MISSING:

Aveion Malik Lewis
Race : black
Date of Birth : 01/26/2007
Height : 2 feet 06 inches
Weight : 26 Lbs
Hair: Close Cut Black
Eyes: Brown
Date and Time of Abduction: Jan 14, 2010 05:00 PM
Circumstances:

Child was last seen at 2162 King Charles Av SE, Roanoke, Virginia. Child was last seen wearing a yellow Sponge Bob Squarepants Footie Pajamas.

Additional Significant Identifiers or Conditions of Child:

On 01-14-10 between 1640 hours and 1700 hours, Aveion Lewis was taken from his home after his stepfather was knocked unconscious after opening the back door of the residence.

http://www.wdbj7.com/global/story.asp?s=11826595
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Juv1j6

Police: Missing 2-year-old from Roanoke dead

Roanoke city police said today that they believe missing 2-year-old Aveion Malik Lewis is dead, and that an abduction did not actually happen.

Based on conflicting statements from Lewis' stepfather, they believe the child was dead before 911 was called, but officers have not found his body.

Police are investigating the stepfather, Brandon Lockett, in connection with the death.

Lewis' alleged disappearance from his Roanoke home last Thursday triggered an Amber Alert across the state, including the Richmond region. One sighting of the white Chevy Blazer believed to have been used in the kidnapping was on Interstate 295 at the Creighton Road exit.

The following statement was released this afternoon by Roanoke police:

On January 14, 2010, the Roanoke Police Department received a report of the abduction of Aveion Malik Lewis from the 2100 block of King Charles Avenue.

Since then, the department has investigated the reported abduction and received varying degrees of cooperation from key persons in the investigation; which lead police to question the validity of information received from some individuals.

As a result, investigators began to focus on the possibility that Brandon Lockett, Aveion' step-father was not providing accurate details. Based on conflicting statements given, and significant developments within the last 24 hours, police determined that it was necessary to expand the previous and ongoing ground search.

As the search progressed, Police were advised that the reported abduction did not occur.

It is with great regret and sadness that the Roanoke Police Department announces that our investigation has moved from an abduction to an investigation into the death of Aveion Malik Lewis.

All indications are that Aveion was deceased prior to the 911 call made on January 14. This information has been provided by Brandon Lockett.

Unfortunately, police do not yet have a known location of Aveion's body. The expanded ground search, which began this morning will continue in an effort locate Aveion.

Investigators are working to obtain more information surrounding the circumstances of Aveion's death, and those details cannot be released at this time.

During this investigation we have received overwhelming support and cooperation from the public, and the Roanoke Police Department thanks everyone for their cooperation. The department asks for the public's continued support, assistance, and cooperation.

This investigation is ongoing, and anyone with additional information regarding this investigation should call the Roanoke Police Department.

The department thanks the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Virginia State Police, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and numerous public safety agencies and search teams from across the state and outside Virginia.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/article/AMBRGAT20_20100119-180602/318641/
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Aveion Lewis update: Stepfather charged, search for body continues

From the article:

Charges include child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice but police have not released information on how Aveion might have died.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/233654
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:08 pm

Stepfather charged in Aveion Lewis case; 2-year-old missing boy's body still sought
Brandon Lockett, who has a history of violence, has been charged in the child's disappearance.

By Amanda Codispoti

* Call police with any information: 853-2212 or (800)822-4453

As the search for Aveion Lewis' body continued Wednesday, Roanoke police charged his stepfather in the toddler's disappearance.

Brandon Lockett, 24, is charged with felony child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice.

Other charges may be considered by the grand jury in February, Roanoke Commonwealth's Attorney Donald Caldwell said.

Lockett's criminal record tracks back to Georgia, where court records show that, among other convictions, he was found guilty in 2006 of striking the mother of his child with a candleholder.

The search for Aveion began last Thursday, when Lockett told police that three men knocked him unconscious and abducted his 2-year-old stepson from their Jamestown Place duplex in Southeast Roanoke.

Police questioned the validity of that information, and on Tuesday, Lockett told authorities that the child was dead even before he was reported missing.

Police have not released any information on how the boy may have died, and his body had not been found as of Wednesday night.

Neither Caldwell nor Roanoke police Capt. Curtis Davis would explain why Lockett has been charged with child neglect, or whether that led to the toddler's death, because of the ongoing investigation.

"The charges are appropriate for what we have developed at this time," Davis said.

Lockett has been cooperating in some aspects of the investigation but not others, Davis said.

Lockett has a criminal record in Georgia, where he is still on probation for possession of cocaine, according to court documents.

He also has a history of violence.

Court records from Bibb County, Ga., show that in 2006 Lockett was accused of striking Janet Balkcom, the mother of his infant, with a candleholder.

He pleaded guilty to the family violence simple battery charge and was sentenced to one year of probation, according to court records. He was also required to attend a family violence intervention program and pay a fine.

About a month later, Lockett forced his way into Balkcom's home and fought with a man, according to court records. Balkcom called police from a neighbor's house.

Officers noticed a large amount of blood on the floor, and that a table lamp was broken. The victim fled from the house and wasn't seen again.

Lockett pleaded guilty to family violence criminal trespassing in that case.

He served 60 days in jail and then returned to probation.

In two separate instances in Roanoke last year, Lockett was pulled over for speeding and for driving on a learner's permit without a licensed driver. Police also cited him both times for not having a child restraint in the car, according to court records.

Lockett is being held at the Roanoke City Jail without bond.

Meanwhile, the search for Aveion's body continued Wednesday with more than 60 volunteers.

Search teams, including those on horses and with cadaver dogs, were sent out to the banks of the Roanoke River, wooded areas near the boy's Jamestown Place duplex and to an industrial area.

Volunteer Jeanne Kauffmann and her black Labrador retriever, Lakota, searched the muddy and sometimes steep banks of the river with a Roanoke police detective and a police cadet.

They looked under tarps, and through trash that littered the area. Sometimes Kauffmann directed Lakota to sniff out spots that looked suspicious, or go through tractor trailers parked in an industrial area.

At one point, she pointed Lakota to a dirty pillow, but the dog didn't signal that anything was there.

Detective Rich Cooper, who was searching with Kauffmann, said the ongoing investigation has been frustrating for police.

"We just want to find him," he said.

Freezing rain is expected today, which could hamper search efforts.

Davis said police would continue following up on leads even in inclement weather.

"Until we find him, we're going to continue working this case as much as we possibly can," Davis said.

He believes that there are people who have information, or who could get information, that could lead police to Aveion's body. He urged them to call police at 853-2212.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/233714
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 4:34 am

Warrants Reveal Toddler Had Troubling Home Life
01/21/10

Roanoke, VA - Roanoke police have suspended their search for the body of little Aveion Lewis, because of the weather. They'll pick up the search again when things clear.

Meanwhile, there is new information about Aveion's disappearance and his stepfather. Brandon Lockett is now in jail, charged in connection with the boy's death. One of the more startling accusations is that Brandon Lockett may have been setting his alibi in motion at least a day before Avieon was reported missing.

Lockett's neighbor, James Tyree claims Lockett was already setting the stage for Avieon's abduction a full day before the boy went missing.

"He tried to say he had an anonymous call. He showed me his phone. Yes it had an anonymous call... but I thought that was suspicious," Tyree said.

Suspicious because, as Tyree describes it, Lockett claimed the call came from the would-be kidnapper.

"I think he was trying to set the whole situation up himself."

According to courts documents, police searched the Lockett's home looking for several items including guns, bullets, tools used to dismember or maim, as well as books or other media related to child kidnappings.

The documents also describe the 16-months Aveion spent in foster care. He was taken from the Locketts for not complying with medical instructions to keep Aveion healthy. He had a section of his intestine removed and needed a special diet. At 14 months, Aveion weighed less than 9-pounds and was placed in foster care due to a "failure to thrive." Within 45-days in foster care his weight doubled, but a prolonged court battle was won by the Lockett's and Aveion was returned last September.

The records say that since then, Aveion suffered from blistering burns on both legs caused by a home heater. The Lockett's claimed that medical attention was never sought out because Aveion had "a high threshold for pain" and because the family had previous run-ins with the Department of Social Services.

Other information related to Lockett's past also came out in the documents, including the fact that Lockett was under the influence of drugs the night Aveion was reported missing. Those documents also list this investigation as a murder investigation and not one of a missing person.

Lockett was also convicted of two charges in 2006 and 2007 in Georgia; both involving "family violence."
http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0110/698414.html
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 4:34 am

Police: 2-year-old Aveion Lewis' death a homicide
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/233846

CHIP devastated by Aveion Lewis scenario
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/chip_devastated_by_aveion_lewis_scenario/76378/

Search for Toddler's Body Resumes
http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0110/698414.html

Social Services Department Releases Information Regarding Aveion Lewis Case
http://static.mgnetwork.com/sls/extras/ALewis1-22-10.pdf

Dept. Of Social Services releases information on Aveion Lewis
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/dept._of_social_services_releases_information_on_aveion_lewis/76625/

Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:02 am

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. 120leo6
Toddler Aveion Lewis' dad speaks about losing his son
James Lewis says things changed after the boy's mother met Brandon Lockett.

By Amanda Codispoti
981-3334
Cara Ward is the aunt of Aveion Lewis and the sister of Morgan Lockett, the boy's mother. Ward said the family has been touched by the community's support.

JARED SOARES The Roanoke Times

Cara Ward is the aunt of Aveion Lewis and the sister of Morgan Lockett, the boy's mother. Ward said the family has been touched by the community's support.
James Lewis, biological father of Aveion Lewis, says he struggled to get custody of both his daughter and son.

JEANNA DUERSCHERL The Roanoke Times

James Lewis, biological father of Aveion Lewis, says he struggled to get custody of both his daughter and son.

James Lewis took his son, Aveion, and daughter, Gabrielle, to family cookouts, and spent time with them at home. But that changed, Lewis said, when the children's mother began dating Brandon Lockett.

"It just seemed like she was shutting me out of my kids' lives," Lewis said Friday, the first time he's spoken publicly since Aveion's death.

Lewis, 23, also talked about his custody battles with Morgan Lockett and the Department of Social Services.

Social Services issued a statement Friday about Aveion's case. Social workers put him in foster care for 16 months after he was found to be severely underweight. He was returned to his home after the Locketts completed classes and other requirements, the news release said.

Police are still searching for the 2-year-old's body. The Locketts reported to police Jan. 14 that Aveion was abducted, but Brandon Lockett later told police that the toddler had died.

Police haven't said how Aveion might have died, but a search warrant said they are investigating the toddler's death as a homicide.

Brandon Lockett has been charged with felony child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice.
Video: Cadaver dogs aid in search for body of missing Roanoke toddler

Video by Jordan Fifer | The Roanoke Times
Press conference: Police believe 2-year-old Aveion Lewis is dead

Video by Chris Zaluski | The Roanoke Times

Previous coverage

* Police: 2-year-old Aveion Lewis' death a homicide
* Stepfather charged in Aveion Lewis case; 2-year-old missing boy's body still sought
* Missing 2-year-old Aveion Lewis is dead, police told
* Police seek 3 men in case of missing Roanoke boy

Morgan Lockett has not been charged.

Aveion's case came to Social Services in May 2008, when the boy was 14 months old. The department got a report that Morgan Lockett was neglecting Aveion, and that he was severely underweight.

A search warrant filed this week in Roanoke City Circuit Court said Aveion weighed less than 9 pounds at that time.

Aveion was born with a medical problem that required surgery to remove part of his intestines, according to the warrant. As a result, he had a strict feeding schedule and needed medication.

Two days after Social Services was notified, Aveion was taken into protective custody so he could get the medical treatment he needed, the news release said.

Aveion remained in foster care until March. During that time, Social Services developed a plan for Aveion's mother and stepfather that was approved, and periodically reviewed, by the Roanoke Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

The plan included having Brandon Lockett attend an 18-week program on domestic violence alternatives, which he completed, the news release said.

He and Morgan Lockett also completed a parenting education class.

While in foster care, Aveion doubled in weight, according to the search warrant.

During that time, Lewis said he visited his son and tried to get custody of him.

"I was always worried about him," Lewis said.

In December 2008, Social Services allowed the Locketts to have extended visitations with Aveion at their home.

A clinical in-home therapist spent 20 to 30 hours per month observing the Locketts parenting, reinforcing and teaching good parenting practices, and watching Aveion's adjustment, the news release said.

In March, Aveion was returned home, but Social Services retained legal custody. The in-home therapy continued, and Aveion's social worker made scheduled and unscheduled visits to see that Aveion's medical needs were met.

In September, a judge awarded Morgan Lockett legal custody of Aveion on the recommendation of Social Services, the news release said.

Jane Conlin, director of Social Services in Roanoke, said Friday that the responsibility for what happened to Aveion does not rest with her department.

"The person who is responsible for this is not the social worker," she said. "I think we need to keep in mind that social workers aren't mind readers. We work with the best knowledge and information we have and within the law. Nobody can, with 100 percent accuracy, predict the behavior of another person."

Lewis, however, said he never trusted Brandon Lockett.

"The way Brandon was, it just seemed like he wanted to get to me," Lewis said.

The two would have confrontations during court hearings, and Lewis said that his children's mother's attitude toward him changed after she began dating Lockett.

That's when Lewis said he lost contact with his children.

He recalled several times that he tried to see them, such as on Aveion's first birthday, when he said Morgan Lockett wouldn't answer the door.

Lewis' mother, Briggitte Mason, also said she had to go to court to get visitation rights and, even then, found herself knocking on a door that wouldn't open.

"How many times can you get your heart broke?" Mason said.

Now Lewis, who works at Walmart and at the Roanoke Civic Center, wants custody of his daughter, who is about to turn 4.

She is currently staying with Morgan Lockett's mother, who is also looking after Brandon Lockett's two children, said Cara Ward, Morgan Lockett's sister.

Ward has been busy collecting donated items for the children because no one wants to go back to the Southeast Roanoke home where Aveion was last seen.

The Kirk Family YMCA, Total Action Against Poverty, Babies and Children Inc. and other businesses have donated toys, clothing and other items, Ward said.

She said her family has been touched by the community's support, and she praised Roanoke police for their dedication.

The support, and the family's faith, are keeping them going.

"We believe Aveion is in heaven," she said.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/234025
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:50 am

Candle light vigil held for Aveion Lewis
January 23, 2010

According to this article, the community came together Saturday night to hold a candle light vigil in honor of Aveion Lewis.

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11870551
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Searchers find child's body at Roanoke landfill
Posted: Jan 27, 2010
Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. 20u3ggj

ROANOKE, Va. (AP) - Authorities searching a landfill for missing Roanoke toddler Aveion Mark Lewis say they've discovered the body of a small child.

The Roanoke Police Department did not say Wednesday whether the child was Lewis. The body was sent to the medical examiner's office for identification and to determine the cause of death.

Police did say the body was located in trash that came from Lewis' neighborhood.

The boy's stepfather, 24-year-old Brandon Lockett, has been charged with felony child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice.

Lockett told authorities that three men abducted the boy from the family's home on Jan. 14. Police say there was no abduction and they believe the child was dead before authorities received a 911 call.

Tuesday would have been Lewis' third birthday.
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. 15hk369
Created By: lostnmissing
Back to top Go down
starlight
Team Caylee
Team Caylee
starlight

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 1:45 pm

:candle:
Back to top Go down
Suzi
Team Missing
Team Missing
Suzi

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 pm

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Purplecandle-1
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 1:06 am

Police investigate possibility of another suspect in Lewis death
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11921614

Toddler body found in landfill is Aveion Lewis
http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=11929275

Warrant says child's body wrapped, taped
http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/234833
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 11:17 am

Aveion Malik Lewis: Memorial service for toddler found in landfill cancelled
February 7, 2010

Aveion Malik Lewis: Memorial service for toddler found in landfill cancelled

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. 2ekho91

On Saturday, a planned memorial service for Aveion Malik Lewis, 2, was cancelled because his body has not yet been released by the medical examiner.

Aveion’s biological father, James Lewis, said “We’re trying to make sure that we give him a respectful and proper burial… we want to make sure that everyone from both families can come.”

Aveion’s stepfather, Brandon Lockett initially told police that on Jan. 14, three men entered his home, knocked him out, and kidnapped Aveion. He said the men ransacked his house, tied up Aveion's 4-year-old stepsister, and left a ransom note asking for $10,000.

Shortly thereafter, Lockett admitted the boy was dead when he called 911 and he was subsequently charged with improper disposal of a body, obstruction of justice, and child felony neglect.

Police are now investigating an email account linked to Lockett to determine if anyone else was involved with Aveion’s death.

Lewis told The Roanoke Times he did not know when Aveion’s body would be released.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1168-Crime-Examiner~y2010m2d7-Aveion-Malik-Lewis-Memorial-service-for-toddler-found-in-landfill-cancelled?cid=examiner-email
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels
Melinda

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:49 am

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. 1zqsgmo
Body found in Roanoke Co. landfill confirmed as toddler Aveion Lewis

The medical examiner's office confirmed this afternoon that the body found Jan. 27 at Smith Gap Landfill in Roanoke County was that of missing toddler Aveion Malik Lewis, police said.

The Roanoke Police Department charged Brandon Lockett, the toddler's stepfather, with felony child neglect, improper disposal of a body and obstruction of justice after Lewis went missing in mid-January.

Police announced this week that they were investigating an e-mail account linked to Locket to confirm whether anyone else may have been involved in the toddler's death.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/235304
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Ava

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeSun Dec 19, 2010 7:38 am

:candle:
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Ava

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Brandon Lockett: Stepdad Charged In Aveion Lewis Kidnap( Video)
Update: January 27, 2010.
A tiny, male child’s body has been found in a landfill in Roanoke Va. It is believed that this is the body of Aveion Lewis.

There are new developments in the case of missing and presumed kidnapped Aveion Malik Lewis. The tiny two year old tot was reported missing last week. Today, January 20,2010, Aveion’s stepdad Brandon Lockett,24, allegedly beaten and knocked unconcious by the kidnappers, has been charged with felony child neglect, improper disposal of a human body, and obstruction of justice.
Watch video after the jump.
Brandon Lockett: Stepdad Charged In Aveion Lewis Kidnap (VIdeo)
Aveion Malik Lewis was a two year old boy allegedly kidnapped by three men in Roanoke, Virginia last week.
An Amber Alert was issued by Virginia State Police and he was considered to be in extreme danger.
A note demanding ten thousand dollars was left on scene. His stepfather was allegedly knocked unconscious and beaten about the face and Aveion Malik Lewis’s four year old sister was bound and gagged.

Today, Brandon Lockett allegedly confessed to police that Aveion is no longer alive. He is refusing to give any details or tell the police where the body is.

http://law.rightpundits.com/?p=1149
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida
Ava

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Roanoke toddler Aveion Lewis' dad speaks about losing his son
James Lewis says things changed after the boy's mother met Brandon Lockett.
James Lewis took his son, Aveion, and daughter, Gabrielle, to family cookouts, and spent time with them at home. But that changed, Lewis said, when the children's mother began dating Brandon Lockett.

"It just seemed like she was shutting me out of my kids' lives," Lewis said Friday, the first time he's spoken publicly since Aveion's death.

Lewis, 23, also talked about his custody battles with Morgan Lockett and the Department of Social Services.

Social Services issued a statement Friday about Aveion's case. Social workers put him in foster care for 16 months after he was found to be severely underweight. He was returned to his home after the Locketts completed classes and other requirements, the news release said.

Police are still searching for the 2-year-old's body. The Locketts reported to police Jan. 14 that Aveion was abducted, but Brandon Lockett later told police that the toddler had died.

Police haven't said how Aveion might have died, but a search warrant said they are investigating the toddler's death as a homicide.

Brandon Lockett has been charged with felony child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice.

Last edited by Ava on Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.   Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aveion Malik Lewis (2) R.I.P.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next