Share | 

Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:22 am

Kyron Horman investigation: Transcript of interview with Sheriff Dan Staton

Helen Jung and Kate Mather, staff writers for The Oregonian, interviewed Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton this morning about the ongoing search for Kyron Horman. Here are the transcribed excerpts of the interview:

Jung: "Well, I guess if we could first start by talking about the scope of the investigation. If you can give us an idea of how many people and what kind of resources you have dedicated to this effort and what kind of cost that is?"

Staton: "Right now the number of resources versus when we started the initial phases of looking for Kyron, up to this point, obviously we've reduced them down because the scope of the investigation has changed significantly. Initially, we had approximately between 35 and 40 search and rescue groups from around the state of Oregon, some from Washington, some from Northern California, that supported our effort in looking for Kyron and we employed them along with our own search and rescue groups. The total base initially — during the first five days of the search we had approximately 562 searchers initially. Then that significantly increased and we were up to about 1,200 searchers until we had completed all aspects of the search at that point.

"In conjunction with the search and rescue operation we employ detectives because they investigate difference aspects regarding information that is gathered. Searchers spend their time searching the areas that are designated or identified as target areas. The investigators and detectives that we bring into play, they start the canvassing and start the questioning of people that are on scene — the people who may have potentially seen our missing person — and then they start developing their leads. And what they do is they coordinate those efforts with search and rescue to target those areas or expand on the search based on the information they are gathering.

"This was the initial phase. Once we exhausted the search, what we had employed at that point, we utilized aircraft with floor units to assist in the ground coverage. We had obviously our standard searchers that worked the ground consistently. We brought in various K-9 units — at one point we had 19 separate K-9 units that were available and assisted us in the operation. Those numbers went up and we employed the K-9 — both the tracking dogs and bloodhounds because of the breeze and what they actually look for. Those were employed in the operation and at that point it was just continuing bringing in the resources — the resources and the availability of the sheriff's office or other sheriffs have. At this point, based on previous searches and how we've developed it, we have the cooperative agreements between the sheriffs regarding search and rescue and how we're going to deploy because we know that it's very costly. It's very expensive. And not one agency is (capable) of absorbing that type of a cost, so the sheriff's offices primarily … because they focus on search and rescue. That's what we're trained to do, we train our staff and our volunteers to do that. We employ the other sheriff's offices throughout the state and the sheriff's offices from outside of our own state to come in to assist.

"One of the major, major players in this, which you don't normally call in initially, but I had them called in the very first day that this started, was the FBI. I felt because of the circumstances behind this type of a search, the fact that it involved a child, it was inside of a school, was the last known sight of the child, this was significant to me. It was very important and I felt that I needed to have all of the resources available. This is an unusual circumstance for a child to come up missing inside a school.

"So these were the resources employed. Getting back to the financial end of it — let me say this first, I don't put a dollar figure on a child who is vulnerable and I won't do that. And I will employ whatever it is that I have available to me to try to locate a child or someone that is vulnerable.

"So setting that aside, I mean we can talk about the finances. We started tabulating the finances from the day that this operation started. The search and rescue plan and how it operates — you have a finance section, you have planning, you have a research section, it's segmented out across the board and our finance section actually has been running a consistent total. It's not up to date but they've got the numbers coming in, they're applying them to the appropriate accounts. We've set up ... an element here in our budget system that tracks only that and everything goes into that. It keeps it tabulated in that account.

"The other thing that I did — which it's imperative to do — is make sure I communicate with the Board of County Commissioners, with the chair, what is it that we're doing, what we're employing. They've been fully appraised as to the expenses. They're more than willing to support this operation, they know the importance of it. At this point, they have not responded in any fashion other than, 'You do what it is that you need to do. You're the expert in this area, your folks are the experts in this area. Go ahead and proceed.' And they've just wanted to be informed as to what the costs are going to be. And at this point we don't have an exact figure. I can give you an estimate, but it won't be an exact. For our agency alone we're probably looking at approximately $300,000.

"On the other end of it, now that we are downscaling — because this has now turned into a criminal investigation. The fact that it's a criminal investigation, obviously the search and rescue group we keep a small contingency of search and rescue for information that's developed so they can hit target areas that come out of the information that's come in. The investigators right now — we've got about 20. We're still being supported by other agencies and these agencies are working with our detectives. The bulk of our detectives are committed to this investigation and what we've done is we've re-prioritized the investigations that we're currently looking at, but the bulk of and the contingency of our detectives unit is now assigned to this investigation."

Jung: "How many detectives do you have?"

Staton: "In our particular — right now we've got seven that are assigned as detectives for our agency in our detective unit, so we've got seven. Almost all of them are committed to this investigation. We have one that is tracking other complaints coming in, prioritizing, looking at those to make sure that we're on top of what we need to be and also for the rotational for the other detectives that are currently assigned."

Jung: "And you have a total of 20 investigators from the MCSO devoted to this?"

Staton: "Twenty investigators total."

Jung: "Total. So that's the seven detectives plus 13 from other agencies?"

Staton: "Right. And these agencies are still assisting. This doesn't include the support we're still receiving from the FBI in this investigation."

Jung: "And who — are the other agencies picking up the cost of devoting investigators to this?"

Staton: "The other agencies we've been supported by the Portland Police Bureau, the Port of Portland Police, we've been supported by Troutdale, Fairview, Gresham, Beaverton Police Department, the list goes on ... there's no specific group, we're just on this rotational piece. They'll pull out to get things organized within their own organizations, and other agencies have then brought people into cover for that. It's just been a constant rotation. I can give you a list of agencies, but the agencies are astronomical that have actually stepped up and said, 'We're here.'"

Jung: "And they're absorbing their costs from committing people to it?"

Staton: "Yes."

Jung: "OK. And so the estimate is about $300,000 in cost to MCSO?"

Staton: "That would be to the county."

Jung: "To the county, OK. So is the county then just kind of paying the bills on that or is it just a running tab or what's going to happen?"

Staton: "Right now it's a running tab. What I've got internally is that I will have to look at my budget internally and start making adjustments internally to absorb these expenses which is going to be extremely difficult for the sheriff's office. With our economic times and the way the budget's been structured, the monies that are available — you know, we're within a finite position so I've got to look at each one of my units internally and I have to figure out where I can shave a savings off to create a funding source to support this. But the board has also made it very clear that they will support this and that they will make every effort to financially support the position of the sheriff's office and this investigation."

Jung: "But at this point there isn't a clear source of funding for it?"

Staton: "We are using existing dollars. We having to create our own by basically realigning what it is."

Jung: "And so what have you cut back on as a result?"

Staton: "Well right now we're still in the midst of looking at the individual units. We don't have to pay these figures or these dollar amounts right now at this point in time. So I've got our finance department working with the county finance and what they're doing is they're looking at what it is we're going to have to do and then I'm going to have to make the decision through the command staff of what I have to target as potentially cost savings to support."

Kate Mather: "At what point will you have to make that decision? Is it once the search has culminated?"

Staton: "It's going to have to — the decision's going to have to be made during the month of July because I'm sure that we're going to have to start paying our debt off in August for the food services that have been provided during this operation, obviously the overtime costs."

Jung: "Are those the primary — what would be the primary chunk of the $300,000? Is it the labor?"

Staton: "That's going to be personnel."

Jung: "Personnel."

Staton: "Because we flooded — right now we've got not just our detectives working on this investigation. We've had our patrol sections, search and rescue, and we've also had our dive team actively involved in it, our patrol section, because this is a 24/7 investigation. It hasn't stopped. And what's had to happen is that I've had to pull from the other units in the law enforcement division, also our corrections division, to support staffing this.

"I mean our people right now, quite frankly, are emotionally drained. This has been a critical point for them. They've dedicated and given up time, their personal time. They're exhausted. I know that. If you go out and spend time with them and you actually talk to them and look at them you can actually see it. They've become emotionally invested in this and in a lot of cases it's very hard to get them to break away. They're focused on the child — it's become a focal point for them. They want this resolved. ... I actually have to order these people to go home. I have to find a replacement and tell them they've got to go home because they just refuse to do that."

Jung: "How long can you keep going at this rate? I mean, both the emotional toll as well as the financial toll?"

Staton: "This is one of the things that we're working on right now because I feel very strongly about this and I don't think there isn't anybody — I don't think the commissioners feel any different than I do. It's something we want resolved. We do not want this to turn into a cold case. It's an important issue because it's a child, it involves a school, it involves this community. We are downscaling based on what we are accomplishing. Throwing as much as we did into this investigation initially was extremely important. We closed out a lot of work that would have taken months to do. We accomplished months of work within a week to a week-and-a-half's time. We closed out areas that we would have needed to look at, new areas have opened up and we have downscaled to meet the needs of this investigation. So the investigation is going to go on.

"Yes, I realize at some point I'm going to have to make a final decision that this has got to move in a different direction. But right now, the way I've got it set up and the way I've been working with investigators and the FBI, the other agencies, we will downscale appropriately based on their availability, the funding sources. ... You know as well as I do that ultimately, if we are unable to find Kyron, this could turn into a cold case — but we're not going to allow it to happen. The investigation has been very successful at this point, it's been very productive. I think they're doing an exceptional job. I believe that they will be able to close this case. I believe, and if you're going to ask me the question do I believe Kyron is still alive, there's nothing that's come out of this investigation that has indicated to me that he is not alive. They've developed nothing that would say otherwise."

Jung: "Is there any evidence that shows he is still alive? Have you seen any confirmation?"

Staton: "Right now that I can't comment on as to what they have developed on that end of it. But what I can tell you is that through the investigators and what I've been briefed on in my involvement in this investigation, is that there's nothing that's been developed that would tell me to change the direction or course of this investigation and that he's still alive and we're going to go on that premise."

Jung: "One of the things that we talked about yesterday was just the discussion about, or the family asking for Terri Horman's full cooperation. And you know that she had hired an attorney. Do you know if since then she has pulled back or if she's either refused to respond to interviews or anything along those lines?"

Staton: "At this point, I can't comment on that. There's been no indication with regards to the particular family issues, that is a personal issue I believe that you would have to contact the parties of the family and obtain that information through them. But with regards to the cooperation level, I couldn't comment on that at this point."

Mather: "Sheriff, earlier when this all began Capt. Gates was very emphatic when he said that the office fully believes this is an isolated incident. Do you still stand by that, can you comment on that? Do you really believe this is just a one-time thing that happened?"

Staton: "Right at this particular point we have nothing that indicates that this is a serial type of event. Nothing's been developed in the course of the investigation that would leave us to believe that."

Jung: "Is there any evidence, though, that you can offer to say that this is why? Because in the absence of anything saying it's — you're saying there's nothing to show there's a serial abductor out there. Is there anything to say that this is someone he knew?"

Staton: "That I couldn't comment on."

Jung: "Because we do get calls every day from readers, from the public being concerned about — do they really have someone in mind or, for instance, the incident out in St. Helens — is there someone who could still be out there — a stranger taking children?"

Staton: "The only comment that I could have on that right now is we have no evidence that there is anybody — that there's a serial — that this is a serial type of event that's taking place. The St. Helens event — after going through, listening to what actually transpired, the interview process, their investigation on that, it's not related to this event. That is a separate isolated event and there's nothing that would indicate we have one person running around. It just fell into that category. This is one of the reasons why this particular investigation did not jump into that investigation. Had it led to that belief, I believe we would have went in that direction."

Jung: "Can you comment on Terri Horman? Is she a person of interest and do you believe she is connected with his disappearance?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. I'm sorry."

Jung: "What else could you say to reassure the public that this truly is not a serial, that there isn't a general public threat considering there's no evidence one way or the other it sounds like?"

Staton: "What I would tell you right at this point is that if I was led to believe during the course of this investigation that this was an issue that parents needed to be concerned with, the school districts needed to be concerned with, that our law enforcement community needed to be concerned with, you'd be hearing that from me right now sitting at this table that we have got a situation and everybody needs to be aware of it and we need to start building in the appropriate precautions.

"What I can say is that, ultimately, when this investigation is over with, we will be doing a post-study on this entire investigation — everybody's involvement, across the board. And we will be able to identify those things that we personally can improve on but we can also identify what I believe would be the weaknesses that may have or could have attributed to this. Those are the things that come out of a post-evaluation on this type of a thing. And this is something that once that's complete — the public will be actively involved, obviously your paper will be actively involved in that — that information needs to go out because if there are concerns, I think we as a community, our public officials need to start making adjustments internally to protect our children."

Mather: "Is that post-study routine for every investigation or is just for something as large as this is?"

Staton: "No, we do that after every investigation. There is a post-study that is done so that we can identify any potential improvements that we can make during the course of an investigation so that if it happens again. I can tell you right now that in my entire career, everything that's ever come up out of a post we've never come out of it where they've said or we've decided that everything ran perfectly. There's always been something we can improve on and I don't think you're ever going to come across there where you say 'Yeah, we've covered everything.' We always end up coming up with developing something that's going to add what we do in our investigations, our searches, and we're going to continue to do that."

Jung: "What does the investigation look like now? For instance, things that investigators are doing today since there's not an active or large search effort going on — tell me what it entails."

Staton: "Well it's very aggressive. The detectives are taking everything that they're getting. This is part of the reason why I'm sitting with you here today is that this continues leads coming in. There are people that weren't in town when this happened or are just now becoming aware of it. And they're seeing the pictures, what's coming out. We get additional information we look into those pieces of information. The number of leads at one point were up around 1,000, they're double that at this point, if not triple at this point. The leads are very important to us. While a lot of them are cold leads, obviously, there are a lot of leads that have helped us to develop this case as it's moved forward."

Jung: "And are these leads, for instance, just people who believe they saw Kyron or people who perhaps saw … they're reporting, 'Oh, I remember seeing Terri Horman at the school.'"

Staton: "A lot of the leads basically are … that have come in and some of them I've looked at, have been suggestions in a lot of cases. The citizens who live up in that particular segment of our community, they live there, they know that's going on. They know the dynamics and they provide information on things that we would never really think of regarding the dynamics of the community that help us to look at different areas or ask specific types of questions."

Mather: "Do you still have tips continuing to come in on the tip line?"

Staton: "Yes."

Mather: "Two weeks ago, I believe, there was the flier that was released asking for more information about Terri and the truck she was driving that day. Are there any other plans to do a larger push for more information of the area?"

Staton: "That's what our investigators will look at. They'll make the determination as to what types of information that they're going to want to expand upon. I'm sure you're going to see some type of information come out similar to that. But it's actually sifting through each piece of information that's coming in and actually taking a hard look at it."

Jung: "And is there anything in terms of Kaine's decision to get divorced from Terri Horman — the statement that was released suggested that there was information revealed by investigators that lead to that breakup. Is there anything you can tell me about if they had met with Kaine to brief him about the investigation and is there anything that you know of that led to that?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. I — I don't believe there's anything indication that would lead me to believe that, but I can't comment on that."

Jung: "Is the sheriff's office still briefing Terri on the investigation?"

Staton: "I believe — well, now that she has a lawyer representing her at this particular point, information going through now goes through a formal process and you have to do that. That's simply the facts behind that. But getting back to whether or not she's cooperating or not, that I can't comment on because I've got no indications to the contrary on that."

Jung: "I guess part of the confusion on that is that investigators are speaking directly to Kaine and Desiree and Tony while Kaine does have an attorney — a divorce attorney. So things don't have to go through — investigators aren't forced to go through his lawyer to talk to him."

Staton: "Right. On the personal issues, the family issues and so forth, that's something that I can't comment on because that's within the family, that's their privy. If it involves the investigation, the contact with the family is obviously going to continue on the investigative side. Personal issues we're not going to address."

Jung: "OK. And with Terri — the fact that she has an attorney — that you are perceiving to be as part of the criminal investigation?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on."

Jung: "But you are bound to go through her attorney as opposed to talk to her directly?"

Staton: "There's a formal process and obviously we can — if you had an attorney I could come and I could talk to you, but I would also know that I'm also obligated to coordinate any conversations I may have in a formal process through your attorney. That would be your purpose in having an attorney."

Jung: "Can you — have you had — does Terri Horman — have you indicated to her that she may be a focus of this investigation?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that."

Jung: "And have you found anything to suggest that Terri could be a danger to her husband or her daughter?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that either. I'm sorry."

Jung: "There are a couple of other things that we had heard. One: Sauvie Island, that there were cell phone pings from Terri Horman's cell phone that pinpointed her on being Sauvie Island the day of Kyron's disappearance. Can you talk about that at all?"

Staton: "That portion of the investigation I can't talk about. I'm sorry."

Jung: "And also was Kaine at the bus stop with Terri waiting for Kyron?"

Staton: "I can't comment on that. I'm sorry."

Mather: "He said that in the interviews last week."

Lt. Mary Lindstrand: "He did. But he wasn't there when he made that statement."

Staton: "I'm telling you that on that end of it, I couldn't comment on it because I have no knowledge of it."

Jung: "At this point, you were talking a little bit about the investigation and I think we interrupted you — they're continuing to receive leads and look into those, that there have been areas that have been taken off the list. Can you tell me what some of those areas that have been taken off the list are?"

Staton: "Most of those were portrayed at one of the media pieces that Capt. Gates held. The areas we're looking at are all within the scope of the search area in which I'm sure that you can get access to the map that actually shows what was actually covered during that process. These are areas that were identified. A lot of those areas came in also as part of leads and suggestions that we may need to check. Again this goes back to having a media source that gets out there because there are dynamics about this area that we can use topographical maps, but there are areas, for instance, where kids play and a stream comes through that can be target areas as well. This kind of information we need to have and the actual scope of the search again I'm sure that we can get the same map that we provided so you can look at everything that was covered through the air support and the ground support and the use of K-9."

Jung: "And those have been cleared?"

Staton: "They've gone through those, in some cases, some of those areas were gone through four separate times using multiple techniques, either dogs and searchers, dogs and/or the aircraft, but combinations of two or three sources going through the area."

Jung: "And was there any sign of Kyron found that he had gone through that way or anything?"

Staton: "No."

Jung: "Is it believed that he was taken from the school then, in a vehicle?"

Mather: "There's been obviously a lot of national attention and focus and people around the country are keeping an eye out for Kyron. Is the major investigation still centered in Multnomah County or have you expanded it to other areas?"

Staton: "This investigation covers any potential leads. Anything that comes in, whether it's restricted or confined to that particular community or it's outside that community. If it's something that needs to be looked at, then we have an obligation to look at it. This is part of what makes an investigation difficult is that you can't just focus on one area. We have nothing that indicates one way or the other that he's in that area or outside of it, so we are going to continue to build off of any leads that come in."

Jung: "There are still search crews going to targeted areas?"

Staton: "We've got search crews — our own county search crews — we have a contingency that are set in place as information comes in and we need to utilize them they are deployed out to target areas that have been identified."

Mather: "Does that include the dive teams?"

Staton: "The dive teams are also part of that. They are part of our search and rescue group."

Jung: "About the investigation — it's now been four weeks and the statistics suggest that things happen much earlier, or the longer that it draws out, the likelihood of success gets smaller. My question is, from a lay person's or an outsider's point of view, there's a lot of impatience for an arrest or for some kind of positive movement that shows that this case is closing or that it's zeroed in on someone. There hasn't been that in this. Has the investigation stalled?"

Staton: "No. The investigation hasn't stalled. Helen, it's really hard to describe how an investigation transpires, but as it progresses you need to have enough information to do the things that you should be doing. We've gotten information, we've closed certain avenues that were opened up through sources that came in, new potential sources have come in, we're going to continue to investigation. When you start talking about percentages and odds — it depends on what the situation is. In some cases, the odds are very poor, in other cases, depending on the situation, the odds are still very good. It just depends on where you're focusing and right now, as I said earlier, there is nothing that we have received evidence-wise that has indicated to us that we need to change the course of this investigation. We still believe that, and we will perceive, that Kyron is alive and that we will be able to locate him."

Mather: "You kind of touched on this earlier, but four weeks into it, obviously your teams are very invested in this case. Can you comment on the toll — this is the largest investigation the county has ever dealt with and one of the largest the state's ever dealt with — what kind of toll does it take on your office and your investigators?"

Staton: "It's emotional. It's very emotional for them. I've seen some of them break down. They just need time."

Mather: "Is it emotional for you?"

Staton: "Yeah. It is. I was up there quite a bit and have been up there and I've been with the detectives and it's ... it just seems ... it doesn't quite get to where you'd like it to get and you start becoming concerned. I have a child of my own."

Jung: "Are you concerned that you're not going to be able to close this case?"

Staton: "I believe we're going to be able to close it. I really do. If you ask me this next week, I might give you another answer, but right now I believe we're going to close — we will be able to close this."

Jung: "Do you feel an arrest is imminent?"

Jung: "In terms of what will move this investigation forward, are you looking just depending on leads coming in from the tip line, is it interviews with the family members, what are the elements you think can actually ...?”

Staton: "All of them that you've mentioned. New leads help us build off of old leads. If we've got a lead that we're working on — and this applies to any case — you've got a lead that you're working on and you haven't closed that lead out and there's another piece of information that comes in from another source that will add to that, it helps expand on that. And potentially that lead will take us somewhere. That's what we're looking for and that's one of the reasons why I'm talking with you. Keeping this out there — people think of things. And we do take suggestions — please, you communicate this to your readers. We take these suggestions that come in. It may not be a lead where you're pointing at an individual or a location or anything like that, but taking a suggestion."

Jung: "What have been some of those suggestions? Like, look at this property?"

Staton: "Right. You look at various types of property, you may what to look in a different location from where you're at. Some people have talked about their own children and the observations they've seen in their own children, and they suggest that Kyron may have the same — may do the same types of things. You may want to check into this or that. It's an important element."

Jung: "I understand that you've received thousands of tips. Are they pointing in any — are they all pointing in different directions?"

Staton: "Different. They're go in different directions. Some of them are similar directions, others are different directions, but we have to check every lead. At the end of the day, when everything is said and done, and once this investigation is closed, and we do start assessing it, I don't expect to sit at the table and have my investigators and the investigators that have supported this investigation tell me that we chose not to look at these leads, no matter how small they were. They should be able to come in and come to the table and say that every lead that came in, somebody got assigned to that and closed it out, either by making a phone call and confirming it or somebody actually going out."

Jung: "Do investigators have a working theory of what happened?"

Staton: "We try not to base it off — obviously there are theories. But we base everything off of what we get and what we can actually substantiate."

Jung: "Is there any one theory that has some evidence to it that is helping lead the investigation?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on."

Jung: "Has there been an effort to look at sexual predators in the area or have you called that off?"

Staton: "Helen, that's kind of a ridiculous question."

Jung: "Why is that a ridiculous question?

Staton: "I think you kind of have an answer to that already in your own mind."

Jung: "OK, well —"

Staton: "Why would any investigator not look at every aspect? When we bring in our investigators, we're bringing in investigators that are child abuse experts, they're homicide experts, they're experts in abduction — they're experts across the board. They start outlining what the plan's going to be and we're going to look here, here, here, here and here, and they gather all of the sources and information."

Jung: "And are they still doing that?"

Staton: "Obviously."

Jung: "In terms of looking at sexual predators right in the area?"

Staton: "That I can't comment on. But what I can say is when we employ investigators in this type of an investigation, not knowing and not having any direction as to what actually happened, you're bringing in experts from every category to start building the plan of what we're going to do and how we're going to do it."

Jung: "Have they interviewed sexual predators in the area?"

Jung: "And can you say whether they've ruled them out?"

Mather: "You talked about all the experts you've brought in, and this has obviously been a multi-agency effort. What does that mean for your office that you can bring in fresh detectives and rotate people, and the burden doesn't fall solely on your seven detectives, and you can pull in these extra detectives and have these extra search teams? What did that mean throughout this investigation?"

Staton: "Well it means a great deal to an agency, to a law enforcement agency and to our public safety entities. I think what it means more to is to the community. The community realizes that there are only so many resources out there and there's only so many resources available to the citizens in any given area. To know that if something major like this transpires, whether it be this or some catastrophe or whatever, that you have an agency that's developed the bonds with the other agencies to be able to pool and support them and help the alleviate the costs across the board. But the key thing is the resources. We have certain resources in Multnomah County that Marion County may not have. Marion County has resources I know we do not have access to. Tualatin Valley, for instance, is another. You've got search and rescue groups from across the country because we search in different types of areas, different types of terrain. Different types of equipment are used. And to be able to pool those in a time of need, is significant."

Lindstrand: "It's economically responsible also."

Staton: "Well, it's fiscally responsible, it's economically responsible, but it gets back to the fact that one agency can't have everything."

Jung: "Do you know at this point on a weekly basis what your costs are for this now that it has been scaled back?"

Staton: "That I couldn't tell you. Like I said, this is a running piece. Our finance department is looking at it and at this point it hasn't been finalized or broken down in that type of a configuration."

Jung: "Your fiscal year 2011 budget is $116 million?"

Staton: "Umm, the budget got set aside for a little bit with my thinking on this whole thing. You're pretty close to the correct figure. I believe that our general fund budget is roughly about $100 million and I believe with what we've received from grants and so on and so forth we're pretty close to that vicinity."

Jung: "This would be considered a general fund budget item?"

Staton: "Yes at this particular point."

Jung: "Is this all going to be pushed forward to the FY2011 year?"

Staton: "Part of it will be absorbed in the closing budget but as soon as July 1 came about this is now hitting our 2011 budget at this point."

Jung: "OK. You don't happen to have a surplus at the end of the fiscal year did you?"

Staton: "You know the one thing that's been very good about the sheriff's office in any case is we've been able to, we automatically start our cost savings as soon as the fiscal year starts. I put us on a 4 percent constraint automatically. We generally finish out the year, and we have consistently, with an excess that we return back to the county. Last year, I haven't seen the calculations for obviously 2010, but the 2009 budget we gave back to the county $1.4 million based on the savings that we generated over the year. This year I'm not sure where we've fallen. I haven't seen the final figure, but I know we will be returning a surplus fund to the county this year."

Jung: "So that could help with covering some of these costs?"

Staton: "Well, what that does is the money goes back to the county. We have to take our existing money and we've got to develop off of the existing monies. Those monies go back into the general fund and of course they're disbursed based on the discretion of the board."

-- Kate Mather

-- Helen Jung

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Sexual Offenders in your area:
http://www.familywatchdog.us/
Back to top Go down
Melinda
Team Angels
Team Angels

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:41 am

Kyron's family
http://seamusoriley.blogspot.com/2010/07/kyron-family-q.html

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. It's our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit."
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:46 am

Statement Analysis
Monday, July 12, 2010
Kyron: Latest Family Statement

http://seamusoriley.blogspot.com/2010/07/kyron-latest-family-statement.html

Our focus continues to be fully on the investigation and finding Kyron. All indications are that law enforcement obligations will be heavy in the coming week. As a result, we are sorry that we cannot schedule any media meetings. We really apologize for the change but, as always, our priority is keeping our energy and available time focused on the search and both of those things will be in short supply this week. We will keep you updated immediately on any changes. If any breaking events do come up we will schedule a Q&A or interview session accordingly. Thanks for your understanding. We are currently planning on holding sessions the following week (July 19th and July 22nd) as events progress. Thank you for everything you have done, Kaine & Desiree

A conciliatory and sensitive message (fully, really) message to preempt news seeking that may be uncomfortable for both Kaine and Desiree, as more comes out

As I've commented previously, there are indicators that Kaine is withholding information but it is likely in relation to things that will embarrass him; in particular, about his marriage.

For instance, his description of the last time he saw Kyron indicates tension, perhaps between Kyron and Terri, where he tried to keep things peaceful.

We now learn that she was having at least one affair and in response to this, she may have friends leak out information about Kaine that will embarrass him.

With multiple affairs we may see a defense strategy emerge linking depression and the affairs (post-par-tum) and claims that Kaine ignored warning signs of danger and refused to get her help (or cooperate) as part of a larger picture.

If Kaine is withholding information, it's sensitivity is not linked to Kyron's disappearance, but to dirty laundry secrets in this family.

I fear more to come before this is over.
Posted by Seamus O Riley at 2:12 PM

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:55 am

Kyron Horman case: Court records filed show sex played role in murder-for-hire relationship
http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2010/07/12/kyron-horman-case-court-records-filed-show-sex-played-role-in-murder-for-hire-relationship/
Posted on July 12th, 2010 by Valhall

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:24 am

Kyron's Stepmom Accused Of Affair, Sharing Docs
Allegations Of 'Sexting,' Attempted Abduction Surface

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Kyron Horman's father requested that his wife be held in contempt of court for sharing a sealed restraining order with one of his high school friends, a man she's accused of having an affair with, while the investigation into the 7-year-old boy's disappearance carried on, according to court documents.

In records released Monday, Terri Horman was asked to appear in court in connection with claims she violated a restraining order filed by Kaine Horman last month.

The order stated that police gave Kaine Horman "probable cause to believe" his wife tried to hire someone to kill him and was involved in Kyron's disappearance.

No hearing has been set.

PDF: Read The Documents

The documents state that authorities said Michael Cook, who has known Kaine Horman since high school, went to the family's northwest Portland home June 28, a few days after Kaine Horman moved out with the couple's 19-month-old daughter. That day, Terri Horman showed him the confidential restraining order, the records state, and pointed out "particular sections that were noteworthy."

Pictures of the restraining order were found on Cook's cell phone, according to documents, and Cook told investigators he shared information from the documents with at least two other people.

The pair did not know each other until after Kyron vanished, according to court documents.

Attorneys for Kaine Horman said that Judge Keith Meisenheimer signed an order to restrict access to the restraining order against Kyron's stepmother on June 28.

The restraining order paperwork was made public July 8 except for parts containing information about where Kaine Horman was staying.

A photograph of the address where Kaine Horman was residing was found on Cook's cell phone, the lawyer wrote, and the phone also revealed a Google Maps search of the address that was later performed by Cook.

Michael Cook

According to court records, Cook told authorities he got the address from the documents but never went there.

"Respondent's dissemination of this information to an authorized party(ies) is detrimental to Petitioner and the children's safety, and could affect the interests and safety of other family members," the documents state.

The newly released papers also accuse Terri Horman of having an affair with Cook. It's not known when the relationship began, according to Kaine Horman's attorney, but it appears it turned sexual on or about June 30.

Authorities said they found hundreds of text messages and photographs of Terri Horman in "various stages of undress and graphic sexual activity" and the pair was"sexting."

"While Respondent, at times, references the fact that she misses both children, Kiara and Kyron, the significant majority of the material deals with social and personal matters between Mr. Cook and Respondent and belies that assertion," according to court documents.

The missing boy's stepmother also asked Cook to lie to her attorney and others about his visit to her home, the court paperwork states.

FOX 12 interviewed Cook last month while he was helping hang banners about Kyron over Highway 26.

"We're trying to get some signs up in high-visibility spots to spread the word as much as we can," he said on June 11.

In the documents, police told Kaine Horman that his wife's "stated personal relationship concerns and sexual overtures to Mr. Cook resemble those made to the man Respondent previously attempted to hire to murder Petitioner."

Deputies haven't identified anyone as a suspect of person of interest in the case.

Earlier Monday, Terri Horman's lawyer submitted a letter stating she will not challenge an amendment to the restraining order that will force her to move from the couple's home.

Accusations Of Attempted Abduction

Kaine Horman also accused Terri Horman of going to a gym "looking to 'abduct'" the couple's daughter from the facility's day care while he worked out, according to court documents.

A worker at The Xtreme Edge Fitness Club in Beaverton confirmed Terri Horman came to the gym on or around June 28.

The documents accuse her of asking to be notified when Kaine Horman came into the gym with their daughter. The worker notified his manager of Terri Horman's request and police were alerted.

http://www.kptv.com/news/24229196/detail.html#

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:37 am

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

From the Motion to Show Contempt:

http://media.wweek.com/attach/2010/07/12/contempt.pdf

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Last edited by Ava on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:54 am

Kyron Horman's Stepmom in Affair, Kidnap Try?

Missing Boy's Father Accuses Estranged Wife of Starting Affair, Attempting to Snatch Their Toddler, after Kyron Vanished
July 13, 2010

(CBS) The father of missing Oregon seven-year-old Kyron Horman has filed court papers containing new accusations against Kyron's stepmother -- the last person known to have seen him alive before he vanished early last month after attending a science fair at his Portland-area school.

Kaine Horman charges that Terri Horman began a sexual relationship with a childhood friend of his during the investigation of Kyron's disappearance, and attempted to kidnap their 20-month-old daughter, Kiara, reports "Early Show" national correspondent Hattie Kauffman.

"Even if authorities suspect but can't prove Terri Horman was involved in Kyron's disappearance," points out retired Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Capt. Bruce McCain, "the next-best-thing is to arrest and charge her with a separate, ujrelated crime."

The latest complaint dates back to June 26, three weeks after Kyron vanished.

That day, Kaine left his home when investigators informed him that Terri had allegedly tried to hire a landscaper to kill him.

Two days later, Kaine asserts, as he was about to file a restraining order, Terri tried to kidnap Kiara.

Then, Kaine claims, on June 30, Terri began an intimate relationship with Michael Cook and shared sealed legal information on the Kyron probe with Cook.

Last Thursday, Kaine and Kyron's mother, Desiree Young, went public with their suspicion that Terri was involved in Kyron's disappearance, and revealed Terri had failed two polygraph tests.

Police haven't officially named Terri a suspect or person of interest.

Says McCain, "They need evidence. … Police may have enough probable cause to arrest Terri Horman, but the endgame here is not arresting her; that simply begins the prosecution."

Terri has agreed to vacate the home she and Kaine shared - the one he moved out of when get filed for divorce and got the restraining order, Kauffman says.

What impact could the new developments have on the investigation? "Early Show" co-anchor Harry Smith asked Criminal profiler Pat Brown:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/13/earlyshow/main6673211.shtml

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:37 am

:candle:

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:12 am

Police Seek Info on Stepmom, Friend in Kyron Horman Case-
(Aug. 11) -- Police in Portland, Ore., are circulating a new flier and questionnaire in the Kyron Horman case, seeking information on the missing boy's stepmother, Terri Horman, and her friend DeDe Spicher.

The flier, which was passed out by the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, includes pictures of Horman, Spicher and the white Ford pickup truck Horman was driving the day the 7-year-old boy disappeared, according to media reports.

"As part of the investigation, residents of your area are being asked if they noticed any of the people or the vehicle below on [June 4] between 9:45 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.," the flier reads.

Kyron Horman was last seen by his stepmother walking to his classroom at Skyline Elementary School in Portland on June 4. When the boy failed to return home later that day, his family called the school and discovered he was missing. Search teams scoured an area spanning several miles, but no sign of Kyron was found. Authorities have since reclassified the case from a missing endangered child to a criminal investigation.

Horman and Spicher have not been named suspects in Kyron's disappearance, and no arrests have been made.

The flier police are distributing comes on the heels of a renewed search that took place over the weekend. The sheriff's office said the searches were prompted by information it had received, but police have declined to elaborate.

Meanwhile, a grand jury that was convened to hear testimony in the case met again on Tuesday. When the jury first convened last month, Spicher was one of the first persons subpoenaed to testify. She had reportedly been spending a lot of time with Horman following Kyron's disappearance.

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/police-seek-info-on-stepmom-terri-horman-and-friend-dede-spicher-in-kyron-horman-case/19589284?icid=webmail|

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:18 pm

Kyron Horman's Father Seeks Support Via Web
More Than Two Months After Boy Disappeared, Dad Launches Website:

The family of Kyron Horman has launched a new website, pleading for help in finding the missing 7-year-old Oregon boy.
Kaine Horman and Desiree Young are convinced stepmother is involved.

Kyron went missing on June 4 from the Skyline School, in Multnomah County, just outside Portland, Ore.

The volunteer-run website, bringkyronhome.org, contains 12 pictures of the missing boy, while it asks the public to spread the word about Kyron, distribute flyers and help search for him. Supporters are also able to donate money to the search via Paypal.

Kyron's stepmother, Terri Horman, the estranged wife of Kyron's father, Kaine Horman, continues to bear the brunt of the speculation about what may have happened to the boy after he vanished following an early morning school science fair.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/website-launched-kyron-horman-case/story?id=11402564

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:52 am

Kyron fundraiser continues through Saturday~

MULINO -- A fundraiser for Kyron Horman scheduled for last Saturday has been extended through to this Saturday.

Bad weather probably kept a number of people from driving out to the Sleepy Ridge Farm in Mulino, said owner Tracy Elbert.

Fifty percent of the proceeds from a sale at the nursery will go towards the foundation. The fundraiser sale continues through daily from 10-6.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Kyron-fundraiser-continues-Saturday--104717959.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:48 pm

:candle:

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:18 am

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Mom: Stepmom had 'severe hatred' for Kyron
Q

Desiree: Well we're, we're still a united front in the goal that we want Kyron home and we want answers. That hasn't changed.

I personally have learned of information lately that has disappointed me in Kaine's choices and his behavior, and I just can't stand by and support the choices that he's making.

Q: court documents ... yet he never shared any of his concerns with you. Is that correct?

Desiree: That's correct. We learned of all of this information after the fact and from the media.

He had several opportunities to let Tony and I know what was going on in the house and he did not. He had several opportunities to make the right choice and either let me know or remove Kyron from the house.

I would have removed Kyron from the house had I have known what was going on.

Q

Desiree: I did not see any signs of the alc... Yeah. I did not see any evidence of the alcohhol abuse in fact I didn't know about the DUI until after Kyron went missing.

But as far as a personality disorder, I did for years, I was aware that she had some issues with pathological lying, things of that nature, but just mostly from my interactions with her, I don't... I didn't see, you know, as much as Kaine did.

Q

Desiree: Oh yes I did. Starting a year prior to his, him going missing, I tried to get custody of him.

Q

Desiree: Kaine told me it was not an option on several occasions, and it was a point of contention with us.

He was exhibiting some problems in school and he was expressing a lot of sadness and upset at the situation, and Kyron on many occasions told me he wanted to come live with me, and on a couple of different occasions Terri had called me specifically so that I could talk to Kyron because he was so upset, and Terri personally wanted me to take Kyron.

Q (paraphrased - on Friday LE showed Desiree emails Terri had sent to friends describing her marriage to Kaine and her feelings about Kyron)

Desiree: It's very clear from Terri's horrible words that she had a severe hatred for Kyron, and that a lot... she blamed a lot of the marital problems between Kaine and herself on Kyron, that it was a huge point of contention in their marriage, and she had expressed in great detail her hatred for Kyron.

I now believe without a shadow of a doubt that not only is she capable of hurting Kyron, that it's clear that she could have hurt him in the worst possible way.

Q (paraphrased - do you hold out hope he's alive?)

Desiree: I will until the day I die.

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:22 am

6 months missing: Kyron's parents issue new plea

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The parents of missing Portland boy Kyron Horman pleaded once again for help to bring attention to the case six months since he disappeared.

"We recognize that it has now been 6 months since Kyron went missing and we are still deeply saddened that he is not home with us. We feel the investigation continues to move forward in a positive manner and is progressing toward finding out what happened to Kyron. Briefings continue with law enforcement on a regular basis and we remain confident in the commitment of law enforcement and in the mission to find our son," Kaine Horman and Desiree Young said.

Kyron disappeared from Skyline Elementary on June 4. No suspects have been named in the case.

"We all still remain focused and relentless in the pursuit of bringing Kyron home. We would like to stress to everyone that Kyron has not yet been found and we need everyone’s help. We still need everyone willing to pass out fliers and/or post them in high visibility areas. If you are travelling, attending holiday events, out shopping, or even shipping packages from your business you can help. We can help get fliers to you if you need them to pass out, post, or ship (please use the web master email link at www.bringkyronhome.org to request some).

"Kyron still needs all of us. We love you Kyron and we will never give up hope."

A divorce hearing for Kaine Horman and his estranged wife Terri moulton-Horman is set for early January.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Kyron-Hormans-parents-issue-6-month-plea-missing-portland-111212509.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:32 am

Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton confident Kyron Horman investigation won't end up in the cold case files

[i]Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton almost despaired of solving the Kyron Horman case in September, fearing the biggest criminal investigation in the county's history was destined for the cold case files.

He was anguished at losing those vital six hours between the time the 7-year-old boy disappeared from Skyline School on June 4 and when he was reported missing, and the sheriff worried the investigation was bogged down in a flood of information that wasn't shaping into a solution.

But at the six-month anniversary of Kyron's disappearance, Staton says he's confident there will be a resolution. In an interview with The Oregonian last week, Staton updated the progress of the investigation and provided a glimpse inside the "War Room" at Multnomah County sheriff's headquarters where the Kyron Horman task force meets twice a week.

Room 200A is a bare-bones second-floor conference room at the sheriff's administrative office in Northeast Portland. An enlarged photo of a smiling, bespectacled Kyron, standing before his school science fair project, sits prominently against a whiteboard. Metal shelving holds 63 white binders, each 4 inches thick, filled with thousands of pages of police reports. Two laptops on a conference table contain the FBI software that sorts the 4,257 tips received. Stacks of maps in a room down the hall plot the 155 square miles that have been searched.

Investigators suspect more than one person was involved in Kyron's disappearance and thatmore than one crime occurred: an alleged murder-for-hire scheme by the boy's stepmother against her husband before the boy went missing, Kyron's kidnapping, and who knows what else. They're still unsure what happened to the child, and have had to consider all options, including his being abducted, becoming a victim of human trafficking or being killed.

Though the sheriff and his investigators won't comment on any suspects, it's clear from court documents and testimony in the couple's pending divorce case that Terri Horman remains at the center of their inquiry, as well as a handful of associates and friends of the stepmother, including DeDe Spicher.

The sheriff is pushing for something to shake loose by Feb. 1, the end of a 120-day deadline he set for the task force and when he reports to county commissioners about the status of an investigation that has cost nearly $1.4 million as of Nov. 29.

"The scope is narrowing. My belief is we should be relatively close to something by then; that's why I set the time frame I did," Staton said. "While we may not be at an arrest or an indictment phase, we're going to have it narrowed down to a point where we may be calling out a suspect, identifying certain people or things."

Yet prosecutors and task force members aren't about to set any deadlines.

"This is a marathon, not a sprint," Capt. Jason Gates said.

They point to one undeniable fact: They lack any physical evidence of Kyron, or physical evidence that links anyone to his disappearance.

"I think about this case constantly," said Sgt. Keith Krafve, the task force supervisor who was the night shift sergeant when Kyron was reported missing. "Our biggest hurdle: We don't have the kid, alive or dead."

Though cases have been prosecuted before without a body, they're difficult to make, and even more so when it involves a child, who leaves no phone, banking or other records behind.

A grand jury has heard from at least 40 witnesses and continues to meet intermittently. The district attorney's office has an extra prosecutor assigned to the case through June. "Barring an unexpected evidentiary development," said Norm Frink, Multnomah County chief deputy district attorney, "the investigation is going to continue for months."

"Six-hour window"
Kyron disappeared June 4. His stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, had driven the 7-year-old to school early that morning for a science fair. She told authorities that she last saw him walking down the hall toward his classroom about 8:45 a.m.

He never made it there, but he wasn't reported missing until the afternoon, after his father, Kaine Horman, and stepmother discovered he was not aboard the school bus. They went to the school to find him, prompting the school secretary to call 9-1-1 at 3:46 p.m.

Investigators interviewed about 300 students, their parents, and all faculty and staff, and determined that Kyron was not seen at the school after 8:45 a.m., but the school never called anyone to report his absence.

"That six-hour window -- a lot was lost," Staton said. "That's still frustrating to me because I think that's one of the things that really hurt. That six hours ... I wish we could regain those six hours."

By September, the sheriff became worried about the direction of the investigation as costs mounted.

"I wanted to know what's going on because I lost confidence in the investigation," he said. "I felt the case was moving towards a cold case, and I was concerned. We had collected a ton of information, and nothing was being answered."

He called a special meeting of the lead investigators, who shared what they knew. His confidence was bolstered. There was an investigative plan. A slew of cell phone tower records were being sought, and computer records and thousands of e-mails were to be analyzed, but persons of interest had emerged whose alibis about where they were during the six crucial hours before Kyron was reported missing didn't stack up. The stepmother failed two polygraphs and walked out on a third, exams administered by different law enforcement agencies.

In October, the investigation, which at one time involved more than 42 law enforcement agencies and search and rescue groups, switched to a nine-member multiagency task force. The sheriff's office got an extra $209,000 to cover overtime, and an investigative technician, former sheriff's records employee Janet Hailey, who records all the tips that come in, disseminates them to task force members, inputs leads into the FBI's Rapid Start computer network, and scans and files all case reports.

Kyron Horman's smiling face looks out on the "War Room" at the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office, where detectives meet twice a week to report their progress, prioritize leads and plot their next steps. Metal shelves hold the 63 white binders with thousands of police reports compiled since Kyron, age 7 in the photo, was reported missing from Skyline School six months ago.
The 63 case binders hold a profile of Kyron and his family relationships, the names of all who had access or potential contact with him, interviews with more than 1,000 witnesses and detailed diagrams of Skyline School, dubbed "ground zero."

The task force continues to sort leads, identify persons of interest and track Terri Horman's e-mails and phone calls before, after and since Kyron went missing, and it has enlisted the help of the Oregon Department of Justice to analyze cell phone tower records, and a regional lab to review computer files of potential suspects.

They must look at all potential theories: They suspect Kyron's stepmother's involvement, but did she pass the boy off to someone? Could the boy have been taken along the I-5 corridor and out of the country? They also must identify and interview child predators and sex offenders living in the area.

"They're a lot further along," Staton said. "They started out with a long laundry list. ... They've gradually been able to eliminate people who they can say are absolutely not involved. This investigation has narrowed it down significantly."

And, with "not one shred of evidence to indicate the child has died," Staton said, investigators must push forward as though Kyron is still alive.

Search and rescue hub
As the criminal investigation proceeds, so does a search and rescue operation. Its nerve center is in a small room down the hall from the war room. Marked-up maps of the West Hills and Sauvie Island cover a conference table, maps of Sauvie Island are taped to the walls, a map plotting cell phone towers around the school and Sauvie Island is affixed to an easel, and maps from the earliest searches for the missing boy are inventoried in cylindrical bins.

Searchers from three states, with planes, search dogs, all-terrain vehicles, horse and walking teams, have combed heavily wooded ravines, thick grass fields and hilly rough terrain around Skyline School, the Horman home and Sauvie Island, the largest river island in the country. In recent months, searches at the island resulted from analysis of cell phone tower pings, viable leads or statistical probabilities from studies of other missing child cases, officials said.

"We don't have resources to just throw darts," said Deputy Sheriff Mark Herron, a search coordinator. Books titled "Lost Person Behavior" and "The Textbook for Managing Land Search Operations," cover his desk.

Though no physical evidence tied to Kyron's disappearance has been unearthed, searchers have uncovered evidence from unrelated crimes. They've found abandoned stolen vehicles, and discarded purses in the woods were tracked to an identity theft and burglary case from the late 1980s.

Divers recently searched the Multnomah Channel off the island to check out a tip: A group fishing for sturgeon with sophisticated sonar gear detected something they hadn't encountered before. They tried to hook on to it, but their line broke, and they estimated its dimensions as similar to a duffel bag. Divers turned up only river debris. Last month, a dive team clearing access to a waterway found a large bundle of carpet that seemed to be weighed down. Turns out, it was discarded carpet and rocks.

"It's difficult to say we've had a successful operation without the ultimate success," Herron said. "We all feel a sense of urgency and a need to bring justice."

Determined investigators
Sometimes, investigators get fed up with psychic tips, or pained by details of the case released to the public. Last month, the sheriff took Kyron's parents, Kaine Horman, Desiree and Tony Young, to lunch in Hillsboro. "We want to keep them appraised of the investigation, but asked they please coordinate with our detectives before putting out a release," Staton said.

Krafve says he has hard-driving, self-motivated investigators on the task force. They don't need a pep talk from him. They share a burning desire to find Kyron, and solve the mystery.

"There's nothing quick about it because of the sheer volume of work. It's frustrating not being able to find Kyron," Krafve said. "We're doing our best."

Staton not only worries about Kyron, but also his investigators, who have lived this case day in and day out for half a year, many of whom have children of their own. In the first two months, he had to order his detectives to take time off. "I'm responsible for them," Staton says.

The sheriff, who worked through the night at first and rarely arrived home before 10 or 11 p.m., shrugs off the toll the case has had on him. Early on, his 7-year-old daughter peppered him with questions about Kyron and why she never saw her dad much. Then, as weeks turned to months, her questions changed. The sheriff is spurred on by his daughter, who now keeps asking "When?" When is dad going to find Kyron?

"Why haven't you?" she asks him. "That's what you're supposed to do."

-- Maxine Bernstein

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:37 am

Kyron Horman Task Force sends out list of 490 people interviewed from school, and asks if they're missing anyone.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office asked the Skyline School principal to send a flier to its parents and staff, as investigators seek to determine as definitively as possible, the identity of every person who was on the school campus between 8 and noon on June 4, the day Kyron Horman, then 7, disappeared.

"This has proved a more complex endeavor than one might think. Many sources of information have been consulted,'' the task force wrote to the Skyline School community.

The task force has identified 490 people who were present.

But, in order to ensure "as far as is humanly possible" that law enforcement's list is complete and accurate, it shared the names of everyone they've identified on the e-mail, excluding students, and asked the community to identify anyone who might be missing from the list, or who is on the list but wasn't on campus at that time.

Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton said the flier is to double-check that law enforcement has interviewed everyone who was at the school when Kyron was last seen.

"They just want to do one more check to ensure there isn't anyone they missed,'' Staton said.

The list does contain Terri Moulton Horman, Kyron's stepmom who has been the focal point of the ongoing investigation, and "minor child of Kaine & Terri Horman,'' referring to their now 2-year-old daughter, Kiara. Terri Horman had taken Kyron to school that morning for a science fair and told investigators she last saw him about 8:45 a.m. walking in the hallway toward his classroom.

No arrests have been made. A Multnomah County grand jury has convened intermittently, taking testimony from at least 40 witnesses.

Principal Ben Keefer sent the e-mail out to Skyline families today.

Keefer wrote:

Skyline Families,

Below you will find a message from the Kyron Horman Investigation Task Force. As part of our ongoing effort to cooperate with law enforcement in this matter, we are forwarding it to you and asking for your cooperation.

Regards,
Ben Keefer
Principal

He included this message from the task force:

Members of the Skyline School Community:

One of the many tasks that law enforcement has undertaken in the course of the investigation of the disappearance of Kyron Horman has been to try and determine as definitely as possible the identity of every individual who was on the Skyline School campus at any time between 8:00 am and noon on June 4, 2010. This has proved a more complex endeavor than one might think. Many sources of information have been consulted. To date, law enforcement has identified 490 people who were present. In order to ensure, as far as is humanly possible, that this is a complete and accurate list, one of the remaining steps we feel is necessary is to share that list with you, the members of the Skyline Community, and ask you to examine it and inform us of:

ANY INDIVIDUAL (to include a minor child), other than a Skyline Student, who you have reason to believe was on the campus between 8-12 on June 4 but is not on this list; and ANY INDIVIDUAL who is on the list but who you have reason to believe was not on campus during that time.

We realize that this entails some diminution of the privacy of those on the list. To that end we have removed the names of the Skyline students on our list. Additionally, other minor children are simply referred to as "minor child of ____" and not personally named. To others, we ask your understanding that this is a necessary step in an important criminal investigation and, in any event, would probably occur ultimately through media coverage of court proceedings.

You may respond to this inquiry in one of two ways:

a. Call the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office tipline at (503) 261-2847 and leave a voice mail with the following information:

1. Your name
2. That you are calling in response to the "Skyline School project"
3. A contact number where you can be reached
4. Information regarding any individual who should be on or off the list below

b. Send an e-mail to Skyline.Flyer@mcso.us and include the same information listed in items 1-4, above. Your prompt response to this inquiry will assist law enforcement greatly in completing one of our many tasks. Thank you in advance for taking the time to review this list and respond.

The Kyron Horman Investigation Task Force

Go here to read the latest story, providing an update on the task force and an interview with sheriff, six months since Kyron's disappearance.

-- Maxine Bernstein

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/kyron_horman_task_force_sends.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:43 am

Search for Kyron Horman Now Has a Phone App
Jan 7, 2011

David Lohr Contributor
An Oregon company with a phone application intended to reward people who don't text while driving is using its high-tech advertising method to aid in the search for missing 8-year-old Kyron Horman.
"When we started this company, we had no idea our application could be used to help a missing kid, but we now love that it can be a benefit," Rodney Stearns, CEO and founder of TextNoMore, told AOL News.

TextNoMore's phone app is being used in the search for missing Oregon boy Kyron Horman.
According to Stearns, the Kyron Horman Foundation recently approached him about the idea. He said he did not need convincing -- he was on board from the start.
"I am a father and I would be devastated if my kid went missing," Stearns said. "Our application sends out thousands of coupons a month right now, so imagine if that many people are able to see this little boy's face. It makes everyone a volunteer."
Kyron was 7 years old when he disappeared on June 4. His stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, told police she last saw the little boy walking to his classroom at Skyline Elementary School in Portland, Ore.
The search for Kyron has become one of the most intense in recent Oregon history and has attracted national attention. His parents have held countless vigils, passed out thousands of fliers and issued numerous public pleas, all to no avail.
The Kyron Horman Foundation and TextNoMore are hoping that adding Kyron's photo and information to the application will result in new leads and illustrate how experimental high-tech tools can be blended in with traditional missing-person search methods.
TextNoMore is a mobile phone application that, once activated, holds all incoming texts and prevents the users from sending texts while they are driving. If drivers have a Bluetooth device connected, they can still receive incoming calls. For incoming texts, TextNoMore sends a standard reply along with a reward coupon good for free or discounted products and services.
"Anyone who texts you while it is active, regardless of what kind of phone they have or whether they have the app, will get an auto response and free reward," Stearns said.
Stearns said he got the idea for the application when he was working as a paramedic.
"I would usually see what happened after you text and drive," he said. "The apps that were out there before would detect if your car was moving and shut down your phone. They are expensive and the number of deaths was still going up. I figured the way I could get people to do something was to give them something. The user gets a reward when they activate it and the people who text them get a reward. If you get 25 texts, 25 people get coupons."
Stearns said his application is used all over the world and sends out an average of about 300,000 coupons a month. The application is available on the Android phone right now and will be available for the BlackBerry next week. The company is also working toward getting other providers to offer the application.
The application is free to download. Advertisers pay $149 a month to use the service. Right now, the company is donating $100 to the Kyron Horman Foundation for every new business that signs up.
"We are not charging for adding Kyron to the queue," Stearns said. "The great thing about this is that people will get an actual photo and description of Kyron. There are some similar alerts out there people can sign up for, but they are a text description -- the typical height, hair, eye color. That really can't compare to a color photo you can see."
Stearns hopes use of tools such as TextNoMore will become more widespread in future missing-person search efforts and says he would like to partner with Amber Alert.
"All they have to do is give us the picture and the info and we'll put that in the queue," Stearns said. "It will then go out to everyone's phone."
Kyron is the only child being featured by the application; however, AOL News has put Stearns in contact with authorities in Maryland, and the two are working on adding 16-year-old Phylicia Barnes. Barnes, a resident of North Carolina, disappeared while visiting relatives in Baltimore on Dec. 28.
"This is exactly the type of thing we have been looking for to help get her photo out," Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told AOL News.
Stearns said his company will be adding Phylicia to the queue as soon as it receives her information from the Police Department.
"Our application saved lives by preventing people from texting and driving, but now it could also potentially save lives of missing kids and family members," Stearns said.
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/07/search-for-kyron-horman-now-has-a-phone-app/

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:27 am

Judge: Horman divorce case postponed~

The divorce case between the father and step-mother of missing Skyline Elementary student Kyron Horman isn't going to be over anytime soon.

Jan 12, 2011

In a June 11, 2010 file photo Terri Horman and Kaine Horman, the father of missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman, stand together at a press conference at Brooks Hill Historical church in Portland, Ore. Court documents show Kaine Horman filed a petition Monday June 28, 2010 to dissolve his marriage to the boy's stepmother. (AP Photo/Greg Wahl-Stephens/file)

PORTLAND, Ore. – The divorce case between the father and step-mother of missing Skyline Elementary student Kyron Horman isn't going to be over anytime soon.

Presiding Judge Keith Meisenheimer tells us both Kaine and Terry have agreed to continue the abatement for another three months. The disposition was expected to start this month. Attorneys argued for the postponement by citing the "ongoing criminal investigation" into Kyron's disappearance.

We now know the next hearing for the divorce case has been moved to March 31.

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Monday, February 14, 2011
Kyron: The Heartbreak of Desiree

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Supporters of the Kyron Horman search gathered Sunday at the Wall of Hope at noon to show their continued support for the missing child and his family.

This event, held near Skyline Elementary School, the school Kyron Horman's attended before he disappeared on June 4, 2010, comes two days before Sheriff Dan Staton is scheduled to present a six-month review of the investigation to the Multnomah County Commissioners.

Also on Sunday, Desiree Young, the mother of Kyron Horman, released to the media a Valentine to her missing son. In it, she wrote the following:

"This holiday will be tough just as the others have. Valentine’s Day has always been our special day. When I was growing up my Mom always bought me some sweet little memento like a heart necklace or something special that was just for me, it made me feel loved and extremely blessed. I decided when I had kids that I would do the same. Each year I get something special for Kyron because he's my Valentine. I placed a Valentine for him at the Wall of Hope in hopes that he can feel my love for him, from wherever he is. I am deeply saddened that he is not here with me.

Kyron I love you very much, I miss you and I want you home. I have a hole in my heart that will not be fixed until you come home. I will never give up, I will keep searching until you are in my arms again. God is looking over you and protecting you until I get there, so be brave, I am coming.

The police and search & rescuers are still looking for you, they will not stop until you are found. We have adopted them into our family and they feel it is a personal mission to bring you home to us and they will not stop until you are home. I know that we are getting closer every day, I dream about finding you and I know they will bring you home.
Law Enforcement continues to brief us regularly on the case, the investigation continues to march on, they will solve this case and bring Kyron home.
Posted by Seamus O Riley

http://seamusoriley.blogspot.com/

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 am

Kyron Horman's Mother Speaks Out on Stepmother
Desiree Young Urges Terri Horman's New Neighbors to Keep Asking: Where Is Kyron?

Kyron Horman's mother said today she has begun to put new pressure on the missing Oregon boy's stepmother with a clear message: She will not stop until Terri Horman is "brought to justice."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kyron-hormans-mother-speaks-stepmother/story?id=12959936

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:19 am

'Find Kyron' supporters put pressure on Terri Horman

Story Published: Mar 5, 2011 at 1:39 PM PST
Story Updated: Mar 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM PST

Comments (102)

ROSEBURG, Ore. - On Friday, the nine-month anniversary of the disappearance of Kyron Horman, those who want answers held a vigil close to his stepmother's home, hoping to put pressure on the woman to come forward with any information she might have.

Kyron Horman disappeared from Portland's Skyline School on June 4, 2010. His stepmother, Terri Horman, has not been named a person of interest or suspect in the case but she has been the focus of the investigation. Horman is believed to be staying at her parents' home in Roseburg.

Social networking helped organizers put together the vigil held within sight of Terri's parents' home. One person even traveled all the way from Longview, Washington, to show support. Organizers said they have also seen an outpouring of support from around the world.

Two weeks ago, Kyron's mother, Desiree Young, plastered posters across Roseburg that read 'Kyron is still missing - ask Terri Moulton-Horman where he is.'
She has asked people who live in Roseburg to confront Horman at the grocery store, on the street or at the gas station.

"We ask any time you see Terri, ask her, 'Where's Kyron?' " she said.
Young has said she feels Horman knows something about Kyron’s disappearance.
“Kyron’s story is not one of a child that wandered away from his school or was abducted by a stranger,” she said. “It was somebody who was brought into our family."

http://www.katu.com/news/local/117464839.html

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:33 am

MISSING KYRON HORMAN
http://www.childseeknetwork.com/horman.htm

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:17 am

PORTLAND, Ore. – Search and rescue crews were out for another day of looking for any clues about where missing boy Kyron Horman could be. This latest search is one of several weekend searches that have happened in
recent months. Horman first disappeared from Skyline Elementary in Portland in June 2010. Around 75 volunteers participated in the Saturday search near NW Skyline Boulevard and NW Moreland Road. The searchers came from several law enforcement agencies, search and rescue groups and a dog team. “Searchers remain committed to these continuing efforts until the matter is resolved,” said Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Mark
Matsushima said.

http://northwestportland.katu.com/news/crime/searchers-back-out-looking-kyron-horman/439411

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:21 am

Kyron Horman update: 2nd day of searches for missing Oregon boy in NW Portland
Portland, Ore. - The second day of searches continued in the Northwest Portland area on Sunday for missing Oregon boy Kyron Horman.
The search covered an area near Northwest Dixie Mountain Road, just north of where a search was conducted on Saturday, according to Multnomah County Sheriff’s spokesperson Lt. mark Matsushima.
On Saturday, 75 volunteers with two dogs scoured the Skyline Blvd. area near Moreland Road, the same area that was searched in January.Investigators would not reveal whether anything was discovered during either Saturday or Sunday's search.Kyron was wearing a ‘CSI’ t-shirt and black cargo pants when he vanished.Anyone with information regarding Kyron Horman’s whereabouts is askedto call the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office tip line at 503-261-2847 or 911 with emergency information. The reward for information regarding Kyron has been increased to $50,000.
http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-national/kyron-horman-update-2nd-day-of-searches-for-missing-oregon-boy-nw-portland

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Ava
Orlando, Florida
Orlando, Florida

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 am

Missing Kyron Horman
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missing-Kyron-Horman/125336750831264

Caylee Marie Anthony
8-9-05 to 12-11-08

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon   

Back to top Go down

Kyron Horman (7) 6/4/10 Portland, Oregon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top